What is the best 28.8 modem (Quality, low price) ?????

What is the best 28.8 modem (Quality, low price) ?????

Post by David J Ros » Sat, 16 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Can somone tell me the best 28.8 modem in terms of Quality and Price
overall?I'm currently using a US Robotics sportster 14.4,(external).It
seems to have done well for the year or so I have had it, but now, like
many, I seek to upgrade.I have a preference for external modems, amoung
other reasons, because I am not sure if my computer can accept
it(space) and I don't care to pay someone to install it, nor break the
seal (not even one year old yet) on my computer and void the warranty
to do it myself.I have been looking at the 28.8 US robotics, but I'd
like to find a better price.Personaly it seems to me what you save when
you buy an internal modem is "made up for" to have someone install
it.Anyways, e-mail some suggestions please.Thanks.

P.S. is there a cellular modem for use with home pc's (NOT
LAPTOPS)?Just wondering.....

What is the best 28.8 modem (Quality, low price) ?????

Post by Phil Haselti » Thu, 21 Sep 1995 04:00:00

the Cardinal 28.8 V.34 external, about $150 bucks, lifetime warranty,
flash prom updates.  Have bought 5 of them... great modem.

Phil

What is the best 28.8 modem (Quality, low price) ?????

Post by Mike » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Can somone tell me the best 28.8 modem in terms of Quality and Price
>overall?I'm currently using a US Robotics sportster 14.4,(external).It
>seems to have done well for the year or so I have had it, but now, like
>many, I seek to upgrade.I have a preference for external modems, amoung
>other reasons, because I am not sure if my computer can accept
>it(space) and I don't care to pay someone to install it, nor break the
>seal (not even one year old yet) on my computer and void the warranty
>to do it myself.I have been looking at the 28.8 US robotics, but I'd
>like to find a better price.Personaly it seems to me what you save when
>you buy an internal modem is "made up for" to have someone install
>it.Anyways, e-mail some suggestions please.Thanks.
>P.S. is there a cellular modem for use with home pc's (NOT
>LAPTOPS)?Just wondering.....

The Practical is a very good modem. True v.34 and LIFETIME warranty.
Wonder USR doesn't have that????? Also, the Cardinal modem. And the
best rated external 28.8 modem was the ZOOM. Had more lights on it
then a Christmas tree!

"Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore!"

What is the best 28.8 modem (Quality, low price) ?????

Post by L. Reil » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

On Oct 08, 1995 01:16:58 in article <Re: What is the best 28.8 modem

>>Can somone tell me the best 28.8 modem in terms of Quality and Price
>>overall?I'm currently using a US Robotics sportster 14.4,(external).It
>>seems to have done well for the year or so I have had it, but now, like
>>many, I seek to upgrade.I have a preference for external modems, amoung
>>other reasons, because I am not sure if my computer can accept
>>it(space) and I don't care to pay someone to install it, nor break the
>>seal (not even one year old yet) on my computer and void the warranty
>>to do it myself.I have been looking at the 28.8 US robotics, but I'd
>>like to find a better price.Personaly it seems to me what you save when
>>you buy an internal modem is "made up for" to have someone install
>>it.Anyways, e-mail some suggestions please.Thanks.

>>P.S. is there a cellular modem for use with home pc's (NOT
>>LAPTOPS)?Just wondering.....

>The Practical is a very good modem. True v.34 and LIFETIME warranty.
>Wonder USR doesn't have that????? Also, the Cardinal modem. And the
>best rated external 28.8 modem was the ZOOM. Had more lights on it
>then a Christmas tree!

Try the Practical Peripherals PM288HC ll V.34-I love it and their Tech
Support is great!
Had a Sportster 28.8 and had nothing but problems-even with the latest ROM
upgrade.

Post by bm » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>On Oct 08, 1995 01:16:58 in article <Re: What is the best 28.8 modem

>>>Can somone tell me the best 28.8 modem in terms of Quality and Price
>>>overall?I'm currently using a US Robotics sportster 14.4,(external).It
>>>seems to have done well for the year or so I have had it, but now, like
>>>many, I seek to upgrade.I have a preference for external modems, amoung
>>>other reasons, because I am not sure if my computer can accept
>>>it(space) and I don't care to pay someone to install it, nor break the
>>>seal (not even one year old yet) on my computer and void the warranty
>>>to do it myself.I have been looking at the 28.8 US robotics, but I'd
>>>like to find a better price.Personaly it seems to me what you save when
>>>you buy an internal modem is "made up for" to have someone install
>>>it.Anyways, e-mail some suggestions please.Thanks.

>>>P.S. is there a cellular modem for use with home pc's (NOT
>>>LAPTOPS)?Just wondering.....

>>The Practical is a very good modem. True v.34 and LIFETIME warranty.
>>Wonder USR doesn't have that????? Also, the Cardinal modem. And the
>>best rated external 28.8 modem was the ZOOM. Had more lights on it
>>then a Christmas tree!

>Try the Practical Peripherals PM288HC ll V.34-I love it and their Tech
>Support is great!
>Had a Sportster 28.8 and had nothing but problems-even with the latest ROM
>upgrade.

I have tried the Sportster V.34 and the Zoom V.34i. The USR is back where it
came from and I saved about fifty bucks.

What is the best 28.8 modem (Quality, low price) ?????

Post by Kevin R. Bulgri » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> The Practical is a very good modem. True v.34 and LIFETIME warranty.
> Wonder USR doesn't have that????? Also, the Cardinal modem. And the
> best rated external 28.8 modem was the ZOOM. Had more lights on it
> then a Christmas tree!

I do not agree with the ratings.  Whatever I did, I would not buy a Zoom.  I
have had too many of my contacts have trouble with them.  I much prefer Supra,
US Robotics.  I won't object to Practical since I have not had much contact
with them.

----

Kevin R. Bulgrien

Post by calada » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>> The Practical is a very good modem. True v.34 and LIFETIME warranty.
>> Wonder USR doesn't have that????? Also, the Cardinal modem. And the
>> best rated external 28.8 modem was the ZOOM. Had more lights on it
>> then a Christmas tree!

>I do not agree with the ratings.  Whatever I did, I would not buy a Zoom.  I
>have had too many of my contacts have trouble with them.  I much prefer Supra,
>US Robotics.  I won't object to Practical since I have not had much contact
>with them.

>----

>Kevin R. Bulgrien

Me and my friends bought Cardinal 288i for $119 from COMP-U-PLUS Direct at
1-800-287-2323. They have connected flawlessly to out ISP at 26K+ every time
with no problems whatsoever. The ISP uses USR modems BTW. For the price, the
Cardinal cannot be beat.

Cheers, Todd.

1. Low priced 28.8 modems

Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
Subject: Low priced 28.8 modems
Date: 22 Apr 1995 06:24:31 GMT

Commercial ads do NOT belong here -- use biz.* -- thanks for your
cooperation.
--
Best regards,

28800 Modem FAQ: http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html
FAQ text: ftp://ftp.aimnet.com/pub/users/jnavas/modem/faq.zip

2. Need: IIS Engineers, Philadelphia, PA

3. WTB used low priced 28.8 modem

4. DRV11-WA

5. "Best" 28.8 data/fax modem regardless of price?

6. Closing Down Sale - Final Reductions

7. Stop posting 1 line follow-ups, John Navas, was Re: Low priced 28.8 mo

8. Domain server stripping 2nd's server's FQDN in "From"

9. High Quality Incredibly Low Price Web Pages

10. Best price on Motorola Power 28.8?

11. best 28.8 for the price

12. who has best price of 28.8