X2 connect speeds -reports serial speed - WHY ?

X2 connect speeds -reports serial speed - WHY ?

Post by Andy Taylo » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

Heres an odd one, before X2 my connection reported correctly the connection
speed,
i.e 31,200 or 33,600

since upgrading my sf to X2 and using the new number it now seems to report
the serial speed, i get 115,200bps every time.

Anybody now how to get this to reflect the correct and more relevent
connect speed??

I am confused

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

X2 connect speeds -reports serial speed - WHY ?

Post by Jack » Mon, 23 Jun 1997 04:00:00

You must use the correct *.inf file that came with the modem. It should be
on the Connection CD, or the 3 1/2 floppy. Put the file in the Windows\inf
directory an all should be fine.

Have a nice week.
Jack

Quote:> Hi all,

Post by SamS » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> Heres an odd one, before X2 my connection reported correctly the connection
> speed,
> i.e 31,200 or 33,600

> since upgrading my sf to X2 and using the new number it now seems to report
> the serial speed, i get 115,200bps every time.

> Anybody now how to get this to reflect the correct and more relevent
> connect speed??

> I am confused

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Andy

If the modem is displaying the port speed and not the actual connect
speed, then you have a special init string setup in Win95. (Win95 calls
it an "Extra Settings" line.) Go into dial-up Networking, RIGHT click on
the connection icon you use, and go to properties. Once there, click on
the "Configure" button and then goto the "Connection" tab. Click the
"Advanced" button at the bottom and then look at the Extra setting line.
Write down what it has in it, just in case your modem wants it there,
and then delete the line. Click ok, and it should show the right speed
now.

Good Luck!!
SamS

X2 connect speeds -reports serial speed - WHY ?

Post by John We » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On 22 Jun 1997 11:50:55 GMT, "Andy Taylor"

>Hi all,

>Heres an odd one, before X2 my connection reported correctly the connection
>speed,
>i.e 31,200 or 33,600

>since upgrading my sf to X2 and using the new number it now seems to report
>the serial speed, i get 115,200bps every time.

>Anybody now how to get this to reflect the correct and more relevent
>connect speed??

>I am confused

>Any help would be appreciated.

>Andy

Andy,
I am looking for this also. It is either S15, S33, or S27. I was
getting actual connect speed until I put this string into the registry
under userinit.

&F1&K0&I0S33=32S15=128S27=64 (recommended by USR)

BTW, people have reported connect speeds of 52000 using this string.

Regards,
John Webb
Dell Online Services
~DT5794
For online purchasing or quotes, browse to:
http://www.dell.com/store/
For sales information or quotes on new systems or accessories,

For non-technical support such as billing, shipping or returns,

For help with mobile systems (notebooks, portables),

For help with all other systems and technical issues,

X2 connect speeds -reports serial speed - WHY ?

Post by John Nav » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems]

>You must use the correct *.inf file that came with the modem. It should be
>on the Connection CD, or the 3 1/2 floppy. Put the file in the Windows\inf
>directory an all should be fine.

No, you need to remove and reinstall the modem for the new INF file to
take effect.

--
Best regards,

      28800-56K Modem FAQ:  http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html

Post by Anthony Hi » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>On 22 Jun 1997 11:50:55 GMT, "Andy Taylor"

>>Hi all,

>>Heres an odd one, before X2 my connection reported correctly the connection
>>speed,
>>i.e 31,200 or 33,600

>>since upgrading my sf to X2 and using the new number it now seems to report
>>the serial speed, i get 115,200bps every time.

>>Anybody now how to get this to reflect the correct and more relevent
>>connect speed??

>>I am confused

>>Any help would be appreciated.

>>Andy

>Andy,
>I am looking for this also. It is either S15, S33, or S27. I was

        Actually, the problem is with Win95, not the modem.  See,
Win95 likes to take a perfectly good result code and it tries to
interput it.  When Win95 fails to interput this result code, instead
of just showing it to you so that you might be able to get something
from it, it just spews out worthless info telling you your DTE rate.

Quote:>getting actual connect speed until I put this string into the registry
>under userinit.

>&F1&K0&I0S33=32S15=128S27=64 (recommended by USR)

        Hmm, &F1 sets the modem to the factory defaults, that's a good
place to start.  &K0 disables data compression, that's sorta a bad
thing, more on this later.  &I0 disables software flow control, which
is redundant since this is set by &F1.  S33=32 disables the 3429
symbol rate, which can help if you're having problems with v.34, but
since the 3429 symbol rate is never used with X2, this command isn't
doing much.  S15=128 disables LAP-M and uses MNP error control
instead, this is the only really important command in the whole
string.  S27=64 is reserved according to my manual, dunno what that
does (if anything).

        Anyway, as I mentioned, disabling LAP-M is about the only
important thing that USR suggested.  It seems that USR X2 modems are
having a few little troubles with LAP-M, not only when it comes to
interoperability, but also when connecting to other USR X2 modems.
Disabling LAP-M may help these problems.  Unfortunately, depending on
how poorly USR wrote their drivers, it may also be the reason why
Win95's stupidity is showing through.  I heard that USR has an updated
version of their .INF files for their X2 modems, I'd suggest you try
that out.

        Now, one more thing to note is about disabling compression
with the &K0 string.  Normally you want v.42bis compression enabled,
since it will speed up data transfers.  Unfortunately, since we're
using MNP error control instead of LAP-M, we're stuck with MNP5
compression instead of v.42bis (while v.42bis over MNP4 error control
is possible, it's not implemented on USR products).  MNP5 data
compression can speed up things when you're transfering compressible
data (eg text), but it can also slow things down when you're
transfering data that is not compressible (eg .zip files, .jpg, .gif,
most sound and video formats, etc.), so in this case it's a good idea
to turn off data comrpession.  That being said, USR included a nice
little command which will disable MNP5 data compression, but leave
v.42bis on for when it's usuable.  The command to do this is &K3,
which is what I'd recommend using instead of &K0.

Quote:>BTW, people have reported connect speeds of 52000 using this string.

        The init string has very little to do with your connect rate.

Anthony Hill          |  My opinions are those of the small

Post by rXcoll.. » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>>since upgrading my sf to X2 and using the new number it now seems to report
>>the serial speed, i get 115,200bps every time.

If you're using Win95, re-install the modem with the correct .inf
file.  Win95 will report the port speed (115,200 in your case) when it
cannot match the speed returned by the CONNECT string with any of the
defined strings in the .inf.  The old .inf files, naturally, did not
contain any of the X2 speeds.

Quote:>I am looking for this also. It is either S15, S33, or S27. I was
>getting actual connect speed until I put this string into the registry
>under userinit.

See above.  :-)

Rick (remove X from e-mail address)

1. ATI6 on X2 Sportsters Reports Diffrent Connect Speeds from What Windows says!!

From the looks of this X2 looks to be a lie or the firmware is not
reporting connects right. When I connect to my ISP Windows NT will say
that I connected at 31200. But when I hang up and do a ATI6 it may say
anywhere from 26400/21000 to 31200/21000 or 26400/26400. One of them
is wrong!!! Now which one is right??

2. -A Key Business-

3. How do x2 modems report initial connect speed?

4. Sound samplers

5. Change displayed connect speed from port speed to modem speed?

6. PPC2002 perf monitor

7. What connect speed to expect for V.90 to V.90 or x2 to x2?

8. Device Classes

9. Modem Connect Speed show port spped -not connect speed

10. Dialup speed vs. hyperterm reported speed?

11. Faster x2 Download speed versus upload speed / signal level control, impact on new v.pcm standard

12. Dun reporting of x2 speeds?

13. X2 Speed reports?