Baud

Post by NIGEL ALL » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 13:35:00

I believe that there was a Mr. Baudot in the nine*th century who
developed a five-level code which evolved into the one still used in
Telex transmissions. (Only having 32 characters meant that you had to
toggle between letters mode and figures mode by sending a special
character.)  Does anyone else know anything further about Baudot, when
he lived, where he worked, etc?  (I'm writing this note from memory,
since our university library won't open for an hour or two.)
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.2aR