3Com USR 2977 speaker volume

Post by CESI » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

My new 2977 3Com is working pretty good, but I have one small problem.
The speaker volume seems really loud!
I checked the modem log, and among other things, the init. string sends
"M1L2" which I take to mean "speaker on until connect, and volume level 2".
I have tried M1L1 and M1L0, but have not noticed much difference in volume.
Then I tried M0 (to turn off speaker) and it worked, so I know the extra
settings are being read thru correctly.
What I would like is a nice quiet tone in the background, as I connect, so I
can tell what's going on with the dial-up and handshake.

Any comments or help is appreciated!

LGC

3Com USR 2977 speaker volume

Post by Hooda Ges » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> My new 2977 3Com is working pretty good, but I have one small problem.
> The speaker volume seems really loud!
> I checked the modem log, and among other things, the init. string sends
> "M1L2" which I take to mean "speaker on until connect, and volume level
2".
> I have tried M1L1 and M1L0, but have not noticed much difference in
volume.
> Then I tried M0 (to turn off speaker) and it worked, so I know the extra
> settings are being read thru correctly.
> What I would like is a nice quiet tone in the background, as I connect, so
> can tell what's going on with the dial-up and handshake.

Volume is controled via DUN and the setups for the modem through there. So,
go into the Properties for the modem under the Dial Up Icon for the ISP and
change the volume setting there. Then check the log after making that change
and dialing to see if it took (besides hearing it).

Hooda

Post by Art Jackso » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

> My new 2977 3Com is working pretty good, but I have one small problem.
> The speaker volume seems really loud!
> I checked the modem log, and among other things, the init. string sends
> "M1L2" which I take to mean "speaker on until connect, and volume level 2".
> I have tried M1L1 and M1L0, but have not noticed much difference in volume.
> Then I tried M0 (to turn off speaker) and it worked, so I know the extra
> settings are being read thru correctly.
> What I would like is a nice quiet tone in the background, as I connect, so I
> can tell what's going on with the dial-up and handshake.

> Any comments or help is appreciated!

> LGC

The best you are able to do with many 3COM/USR modems is to use the
M0 and kill the noise totally. Or the external models have a volume
control knob that can be adjusted to any level. IMHO the L0,L1,L2,L3
mean Loud, Louder 1, Louder 2, Louder 3. I use M0 and enjoy the quiet.
Good luck.

--
Art Jackson W4TOY Owensboro, KY USA

When all else fails, read THE instructions.
Found in the HOLY BIBLE       God Bless

3Com USR 2977 speaker volume

Post by CESI » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Art & Hooda, I'll try your suggestions.
I guess I could put a strip of scotch tape over the speaker! That's what I
do with many of my 3 year old's noise-maker toys! (Brings the volume right
down)

LGC

> > My new 2977 3Com is working pretty good, but I have one small problem.
> > The speaker volume seems really loud!
> > I checked the modem log, and among other things, the init. string sends
> > "M1L2" which I take to mean "speaker on until connect, and volume level
2".
> > I have tried M1L1 and M1L0, but have not noticed much difference in
volume.
> > Then I tried M0 (to turn off speaker) and it worked, so I know the extra
> > settings are being read thru correctly.
> > What I would like is a nice quiet tone in the background, as I connect,
so I
> > can tell what's going on with the dial-up and handshake.

> > Any comments or help is appreciated!

> > LGC

> The best you are able to do with many 3COM/USR modems is to use the
> M0 and kill the noise totally. Or the external models have a volume
> control knob that can be adjusted to any level. IMHO the L0,L1,L2,L3
> mean Loud, Louder 1, Louder 2, Louder 3. I use M0 and enjoy the quiet.
> Good luck.

> --
> Art Jackson W4TOY Owensboro, KY USA

> When all else fails, read THE instructions.
> Found in the HOLY BIBLE       God Bless

1. 3com/USR v.90/56K Model 2977

Help Please ...

Based on "USR" of long ago (1996), I bought "one" ... ;_(

I managed to find the OEM support (meager) on 3com/USR URL ...

Can someone tell me "what" I have ... whutzit 'like' ???

Is it good/bad/indifferent ???
And, ...
did I just pay for some more 'education' ???

TIA,

Ed

2. USB mini hubs and floppy drives

3. Hooda, 3Com USR #2977, Any advice?

4. CfP Engineering of Computer-Based Systems ECBS-98, Jerusalem, Israel, March 30-April 3,

5. Is 3Com USR Model 2977 a Winmodem?

6. Help!!When I install MPICH....

7. Speaker volume control on 3Com USR 5687 56K Faxmodem

8. Palm V and Ericsson CF888

9. 3Com modem model # 2977 Help

10. Problems?/Questions with 3Com 2977 OEM modem???

11. 3COM 2977 OEM is really a ?

12. Recommendations for 3Com 2977?

13. S1598 and 3Com 2977