two modems on two different computers - linking?

two modems on two different computers - linking?

Post by Len » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 14:30:06

I have a small home network of 3 computers. 1 Desktop, 2 laptops. Can't get
 DSL or cable modem.  ISDN too expensive.  If I get a second phone line can
I dial-up two different ISPs on two of the 3 computers and get them to
operate together (ie. 112K). Running Win98/WinME on all. Internet
connection sharing installed on desktop. Ethernet LAN.

What software do I need to get two modems on different computers to work
together? I don't know if any of the ISPs support multilinking.  Is it
necessary with 2 different ISPs?

Signed--Can't get broadband blues.

Post by Gary A. Edelstei » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 01:57:57

>I have a small home network of 3 computers. 1 Desktop, 2 laptops. Can't get
> DSL or cable modem.  ISDN too expensive.  If I get a second phone line can
>I dial-up two different ISPs on two of the 3 computers and get them to
>operate together (ie. 112K). Running Win98/WinME on all. Internet
>connection sharing installed on desktop. Ethernet LAN.

>What software do I need to get two modems on different computers to work
>together? I don't know if any of the ISPs support multilinking.  Is it
>necessary with 2 different ISPs?

IMHO, your best bet is multilink PPP with 1 computer with 2 modems
installed on it, then use your network to share the connection.  I
don't think that will work with 2 separate computers dialing in, it
has to be linked on 1 PC.  You'll need an ISP that supports multilink
PPP.

There is software for linking 2 separate ISP connections on 1 PC for
improved web browsing only (the web page download components are split
up between the connections); I don't know if you can share that over a
network.  Midpoint Teamer and Fatpipe come to mind.  Gary E

|Gary A. Edelstein

|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo