DOS emulation under Linux better than Win 95?

Post by David E. Vandewall » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I am gonna try Linux.

> I think 90 percent of the apps I need
> will be available native.

> However.. there may be a few.... such as
> good PIM's such as Sidekick that may
> NOT.

> Is emulation better for DOS apps under
> Linux... or Win 95 apps?

At this point I would say that dosemu will run more apps than wine.
From what I understand, however, that gap is being rapidly closed.

DV

--
//David E. Vandewalle               |Weinberg's Law: If builders built

//Finger either account for PGP key.| came along would destroy civilization.

DOS emulation under Linux better than Win 95?

Post by Uwe Bonne » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

:>
:> I am gonna try Linux.
:>
:> I think 90 percent of the apps I need
:> will be available native.
:>
:> However.. there may be a few.... such as
:> good PIM's such as Sidekick that may
:> NOT.
:>
:> Is emulation better for DOS apps under
:> Linux... or Win 95 apps?

: At this point I would say that dosemu will run more apps than wine.
: From what I understand, however, that gap is being rapidly closed.

The targets are different...

Post by Mark A. Davi » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> :>
> :> I am gonna try Linux.
> :>
> :> I think 90 percent of the apps I need
> :> will be available native.
> :>
> :> However.. there may be a few.... such as
> :> good PIM's such as Sidekick that may
> :> NOT.
> :>
> :> Is emulation better for DOS apps under
> :> Linux... or Win 95 apps?

> : At this point I would say that dosemu will run more apps than wine.
> : From what I understand, however, that gap is being rapidly closed.

Unfortunately, by the time WINE is no longer Beta, it will be hopelessly
obsolete.  It is hard to find 3.0/3.11 apps now, everything is 95.

|   Mark A. Davis,  |Lake Taylor| Voice: (757)-461-5001x431 8-4:30ET |

|Information Systems|Norfolk, VA| from USENET remove anti-spam "yy." |

DOS emulation under Linux better than Win 95?

Post by Uwe Bonne » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: Unfortunately, by the time WINE is no longer Beta, it will be hopelessly
: obsolete.  It is hard to find 3.0/3.11 apps now, everything is 95.

Wine can run Win32 targets too...

No general problem with Win32.

bye

Post by David E. Vandewall » Tue, 25 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > :>
> > :> I am gonna try Linux.
> > :>
> > :> I think 90 percent of the apps I need
> > :> will be available native.
> > :>
> > :> However.. there may be a few.... such as
> > :> good PIM's such as Sidekick that may
> > :> NOT.
> > :>
> > :> Is emulation better for DOS apps under
> > :> Linux... or Win 95 apps?

> > : At this point I would say that dosemu will run more apps than wine.
> > : From what I understand, however, that gap is being rapidly closed.

> Unfortunately, by the time WINE is no longer Beta, it will be hopelessly
> obsolete.  It is hard to find 3.0/3.11 apps now, everything is 95.

wine will already run some win32 stuff.   in any case, just because it won't
run the latest greatest bloatware from ms doesn't mean that it is obsolete.
The user base for win3.1 stuff is still far larger than the win32 user base.
At least in the financial community (where I work).

DV

--

Post by Chris Co » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Unfortunately, by the time WINE is no longer Beta, it will be hopelessly
> obsolete.  It is hard to find 3.0/3.11 apps now, everything is 95.

You need to keep closer tabs on the wine project.  More and more
Win95/NT programs are starting to work.

These are my own comments....not to be confused with real or
unreal comments of any company.

Post by William Safle » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> wine will already run some win32 stuff.   in any case, just because it won't
> run the latest greatest bloatware from ms doesn't mean that it is obsolete.
> The user base for win3.1 stuff is still far larger than the win32 user base.
> At least in the financial community (where I work).

And most of the 3.1 stuff is perfectly useable and fills a gap that
exists in the software available for linux.

--
William Safley
To reply via email remove nospam from the reply address

1. Linux better than Win'95: HOW!

I'm not quite sure of what you mean here. Are you saying all apps
should be linked with the same widget library, and that others WMs
than mwm should be dumped ?

I may be wrong here, but It looks like you want to suppress one of the
nicest (IMHO) features of X (regardless of the OS it's running under),
and one that greatly helped its success. Restricting users to "one and
only" look-and-feel, without letting them change it as deeply as they
want, is something a lot of users I know (including myself) are very
touchy about.

If, on the other hand, you mean to standardize distributions, but
still let users open access to customisation, then fine.

BTW, I believe most of what you're talking about is addressed by
Caldera (and/or CDE).
                        Guillaume

2. Weird Problem with 2.2.7

3. AMI vs. Phoenix - Which is better for Linux and Win 95?

4. Problems with S statistical package

5. Help needed with Motorola 28.8 modem - Win'95 better than linux???

6. Installing Redhat on my Compaq Deskpro XL

7. Linux better than Win'95: HOW!

8. Strange ARP problem

9. lilo dos, win-95 and Linux.

10. Easiest way to connect realmode Win 95/98 (i.e. DOS) to Linux server

11. Install of Linux over Win 95 with no DOS < 7?

12. Linux access from dos/win/windows 95/NT

13. gcc/flex cross-compile to linux->dos (win/95)