I've installed Red Hat 5.0 Linux and I've got a problem

I've installed Red Hat 5.0 Linux and I've got a problem

Post by Thibau » Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello, I'm a Linux BEGINNER
When the installation has finished, Linux wants me to type a login and a
password. This works very well, but then the program asks me something :

I do not know what to do then !
If I type something and then return, it says
bash : sth_i've_typed : command not found

Thank you very much.

Post by Ulf Siege » Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Thibaut schrieb:

> Hello, I'm a Linux BEGINNER
> When the installation has finished, Linux wants me to type a login and a
> password. This works very well, but then the program asks me something :

> I do not know what to do then !
> If I type something and then return, it says
> bash : sth_i've_typed : command not found

> Thank you very much.

can input (?) any UNIX/LINUX- command you want, ie. ls for a directory LiSt
and cd DIR for a Change Directory DIR (you have to replace DIR by any
directory or directory path you want to change to).
Which OS did you use before migrate to LINUX?
For a detailed command guide search the web, read this news group (i suggest
there is a link to a LINUX user guide above) or best bye a LINUX book for
beginners. LINUX is a complex OS which can't be explored by trial and error.
It's hard to start working but once you learned it you will never miss it.

Hope to helped you!
Ulf Siegel

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Harr » Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>When the installation has finished, Linux wants me to type a login and a
>password. This works very well, but then the program asks me something :

>I do not know what to do then !
>If I type something and then return, it says
>bash : sth_i've_typed : command not found

Is this for real?

It's called a 'command line'

You type commands you want the shell to execute.

like 'ls' to view a directory.

and 'cd ..' to move up a directory

and 'cd directoryname' to go to a certain directory.

You *ARE* somewhat familiar with the command line structure of Unix, right?

Harry

I've installed Red Hat 5.0 Linux and I've got a problem

Post by Fury » Sat, 11 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the answer (sorry, I'm a TOTAL beginner)

>>When the installation has finished, Linux wants me to type a login and a
>>password. This works very well, but then the program asks me something :

>>I do not know what to do then !
>>If I type something and then return, it says
>>bash : sth_i've_typed : command not found

>Is this for real?

>It's called a 'command line'

>You type commands you want the shell to execute.

>like 'ls' to view a directory.

>and 'cd ..' to move up a directory

>and 'cd directoryname' to go to a certain directory.

>You *ARE* somewhat familiar with the command line structure of Unix, right?

>Harry

I've installed Red Hat 5.0 Linux and I've got a problem

Post by Patrick Grantha » Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Harry,
     Be gentle with begginers.  Don't forget that ALL of us were at this
same point in each of our own beginings.  Twenty years ago, few people new
what the heck a default directory was.

Thibaut,
     Suggested Reading:  I've heard good comments about the book series
"such-and-such-subject for Dummies."  I'm not calling you a dummy.  Being a
beginner, this might me a good place to start.  I've gotten great
information from two books, "Linux Unleased" and "Linux Secrets".  I
recommend learning how to use Xwindows, then connected to internet on the
Linux box.  There is a HUGE amount of information available and hundreds
(thousands?) of HOWTOs.

Good luck.

Patrick

>>When the installation has finished, Linux wants me to type a login and a
>>password. This works very well, but then the program asks me something :

>>I do not know what to do then !
>>If I type something and then return, it says
>>bash : sth_i've_typed : command not found

>Is this for real?

>You *ARE* somewhat familiar with the command line structure of Unix, right?

>Harry

I've installed Red Hat 5.0 Linux and I've got a problem

Post by Neurowi » Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:00:00

You're right about beginners.. but in truth, I laughed my ass off when I
read this. It brought back similar stories like using the CDRom tray for a
coffee holder and Scotty talking to the mouse... c'mon... it's funny...
looking at a command prompt and wondering what it is... <chuckle... am I the
only one thinking this is hilarious?>
--
-----

Remove obvious spam filter for email reply

>Harry,
>     Be gentle with begginers.  Don't forget that ALL of us were at this
>same point in each of our own beginings.  Twenty years ago, few people new
>what the heck a default directory was.

<snip>

Post by Nostro » Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Hello, I'm a Linux BEGINNER
>When the installation has finished, Linux wants me to type a login and a
>password. This works very well, but then the program asks me something :

>I do not know what to do then !
>If I type something and then return, it says
>bash : sth_i've_typed : command not found

>Thank you very much.

I would say that this debunks the notion that Linux is hard to install.
I think MS can start worrying if a complete beginner who has never worked with a
command line before can successfully install Linux.

I've installed Red Hat 5.0 Linux and I've got a problem

Post by ¤?RATTY » Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Apr 1998 10:45:40 EDT,  it went along the lines of:

-->You're right about beginners.. but in truth, I laughed my ass off when I
-->read this. It brought back similar stories like using the CDRom tray for a
-->coffee holder and Scotty talking to the mouse... c'mon... it's funny...
-->looking at a command prompt and wondering what it is... <chuckle... am I the
-->only one thinking this is hilarious?>

well I can't say I did coz I'm a beginner! I real beginner. I don't
even have Linux yet. Still waiting for Red Hat 5.0 to fly through my
letter box! So expect loads of messages from me asking for help in the
future dude!
--
|\__ _||_ ||_      || | ICQ UIN  >           5235499

|_|_\__,_|____)____)\  /(_) | WEB-SITE > http://www.ryan1.force9.co.uk
                 (____/              Remove -BEEF- to e-mail me

Post by Michael Nielse » Wed, 15 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Apr 1998 10:45:40 EDT,  it went along the lines of:

> -->You're right about beginners.. but in truth, I laughed my ass off when I
> -->read this. It brought back similar stories like using the CDRom tray for a
> -->coffee holder and Scotty talking to the mouse... c'mon... it's funny...
> -->looking at a command prompt and wondering what it is... <chuckle... am I the
> -->only one thinking this is hilarious?>

> well I can't say I did coz I'm a beginner! I real beginner. I don't
> even have Linux yet. Still waiting for Red Hat 5.0 to fly through my
> letter box! So expect loads of messages from me asking for help in the
> future dude!

I think it's probably only funny to users who have used unix for many
years,
and dimly remember back to the days, when they went, "huh? what's that".
Because I thought it quite funny as well :->, no offense to the orignal
poster :->.

Though I must recommend the <your topic> for dummmies, as they are
seriously
useful for beginners, though I've never liked the "for dummies" part,
makes
you feel like a dummy when bying these books :-<, ah well I guess the
ego is getting too big and needed some t*, any how :->.

        mvh
                mike
                 (Ingeni?r) Michael Nielsen BE(Hons)

           At arbejede er godt, s? l?nge man husker at leve!
           (To work is good as long as we remember to live!)

1. You've got yours, I've got mine... let the others in their shit!

Ah endless flameware on these beloved .advocacy...

I have runned a few systems in my poor life, and those
which fits me more is so far UNIX because I am rather
a scientific/programmer than something else.

Now I've also seen other peoples and sometimes other
scientific/programmer running other system, and
sometimes some incredibles ones like any M$ Win one.

So what? I know a guy who writes his thesis using word.
I find it awfull, horrible, difficult to maintain/port
(nobody but me saw him trying to send his source... where
TeX is nothing more than pure ASCII, running everywhere
on everything). But what can I do? I said... Why not TeX?
He answered "archaic"...

I do not request for peace... I just wonder why you try
to persuade other running on a true system if they are
happy with toys... If they find funny to collect problems
and pro to solve them after ages working on "how to fuck
this bug"... Leave them do!!! I am as you are UNIX friends
so far one of the most happy man in the universe having
somewhat the power in hands when running a UNIX system...
But have we to persuade lamers??? I say no... Let the
others in their shit.

--
Fabrice Laussy

2. Putting FTape on a boot disk

3. Can't login as FTP (I've red the faqs)

4. xbtoa format.

5. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first

6. Need an XF86Config file for S3.

7. I've installed Linux, but can't get into it!

8. Problems with starting Xsession under Aix v4.2.1.0 on RS/6000

9. Login Problem on Windows 2000 after I've installed Linux

10. I've installed TurboLinux but it doesn't appears?

11. Help Installing Samba : Here's what I've tried

12. i've installed freebsd and i can't load it after the reboot

13. KDE won't start now I've installed kernel patch 2.2.9