Newbie setup Qs for RH

Post by Peter Kel » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi
I am a linux newbie. I have been using Sam's Teach Yourself Linux in 24
Hours to learn about Linux. I am using RH 5.1. I have few problems.

1. Using Linuxconf from Xwindows. On exit form Linuxconf I get a message
"State of the system is out of sync." On choosing to activate changes I
can view log saying ""No APM support in kernel."

2. I can start a ppp connection in X through Control Panel but can not
set one up outside of X. I prefer to do this as Lynx displays better
outside of X. After setting up /etc/ppp/ppp-on I entered /etc/ppp/ppp-on
but nothing happened except for the DTR light on the modem flashed on and
off. I tried entering pppd file /etc/ppp/ppp-on but got a message saying
"TELEPHONE=84600133"( part of ppp-on script) is an invalid command.

3. Fetchmail. On entering "fetchmail -p POP3 wantree.com.au" I receive a
message that IMAP is not not supported even I specify POP3. I can see how
much mail I have but can not retrieve it.

4. Tin. According to Sam's book I entered the names of some news groups
in /home/.newsrc. I entered tin -nqr and could see connection being made.
I received a message that /usr/lib/news/active had no news groups. I
added the news groups to this file and retried the command. Same answer.

5. response from an Echo command is a blank line. Even echo $path > file1
show an empty file.

6.  When accessing kernel daemon config from control panel I get a
message "boot/module-info-2.0.34 missing. Cant do without this."

7. Profile. Changes I madee to PSI line in /etc/profile only last for the
current session

8. additions to aliases in .bashrc only last for the current session.

Any assistance or pointers to info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

--
rot-13 on email reply
"In these and many other cases, the criterion that distinguishes friend from enemy is obedience, not crime."

Fingerprint for PGP Keys at key server or go to
http://www.wantree.com.au/~pkelly/key.htm
RSA - 71 BA 7C 45 B5 4A 5F EA  72 DB EC 7F 7F A8 70 99
DSS - 196D 0C35 95C9 BFD2 0677  C238 8FDE 0133 86E9 7B89

Newbie setup Qs for RH

Post by Csaba Vere » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

Well, you have a few questions there :-)

One general comment is this ... I also used Redhat 5.1 with all the
graphical tools, but I catually stopped doing that. Personally, I got a
really really good book called "Running Linux" from O'Reily press, which
pretty much explained everything about the various configuration files.
Then I learned these individually, and am much happier now :-)

I am all for making Linux easier, but sometimes a graphical tool can do
more harm than good, I think ... this should get rid of half your
questions :-)

I am not sure what you mean with the ppp question. Are you usind dip to
dial in when not in X? As far as I know, you need to use something like
that to establish the connection first.

good luck,

Csaba

Newbie setup Qs for RH

Post by Steven Blu » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 01 Oct 1998 13:24:03 -0700, in aus.computers.linux Csaba Veres

>I am not sure what you mean with the ppp question. Are you usind dip to
>dial in when not in X? As far as I know, you need to use something like
>that to establish the connection first.

Slackware has a script called ppp-on (or ppp-go in the new version) that
calls chat to dial up a ppp connection.  A lot nicer than using X IMO.  If
you like playing with config files Slackware is a much better distro than
Redhat.

cya

--
Steven Blunt