Help with SCSI/AWE64 Plug 'n Play

Post by Chris Lawren » Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Ok, I have a Sound Blaster AWE64 Value PnP card, and I've got that working fine with the isaPnPtools, and the kernel patch (I'm using 2.0.32).  I've got the wavtable working and so forth.  So I went out and bought a JAZ drive the other day, and I needed an SCSI card to use it obviously, so I got the cheapest adaptec they had (AVA-1505 ISA PnP), and got it working.  Now, it booted, all was fine, wavtable still worked, so I tried to mount my jaz drive.  Wouldn't work.  I thuoght for a minute, and I re-ran pn
pdump, edited the config file accordingly, unloaded my sound module and my SCSI modules.  I then re-loaded the SCSI modules first (even before re-initializing isapnp), and I could mount my JAZ drive with no problems.  After spending 20 minutes scratching my head, I tried initializing isapnp, and then tried mounting the JAZ drive.  Wouldn't work.  I've tried everything, loading different things at different times, but whether or not isapnp is loaded before OR after the SCSI modules, the scsi card stops work
ing completely.  The scsi module won't even load if isapnp is loaded first, and if I load the scsi modules first, then isapnp, the scsi card stops working.  I know there's no hardware conflicts, so I'm at a loss.  For some reason, isapnp and my scsi card don't get along (btw, i've tried all this with isapnp.conf scanning ONLY my sound card and not even thinking about my SCSI card), and I can't get them both to work in harmony.  So does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm hardly in the newsgroups, I just turned here because I couldn't find help elsewhere (ironically, I realize that the best help is usually in here :), so it'd be greatly appreciated e-mailing any responses (feel free to post responses in the newsgroup too of course for the help of others that may have the same problem).  Thanks in advance.

Chris

1. Yggdrasil Fall 94 Plug 'n' Play doesn't want to play.

I'm not able to boot and install the Fall 1994 Yggdrasil Linux CD-ROM
on my system. When I boot from the supplied floppy, LILO seems to load
the kernel OK, recognize my hardware devices properly during probing
and calculate my BogoMIPS for me, but the kernel crashes after trying
to mount filesystems. I've checked cabling, I/O address and IRQ
conflicts, tried removing unnecessary boards, made sure all of the
devices were configured as the manual suggested, etc., but nothing
helped. I'm pretty sure that everything I have is supposed to be
supported by the Yggdrasil kernel. Everything works OK under DOS, for
whatever that's worth.

From the error messages, it looks to me like the kernel isn't happy
about the block size on some device (the CD-ROM?), so it can't mount
the filesystem on the CD-ROM.

I booted Slackware Linux from a boot disk and root disk I borrowed
from a friend, and successfully partitioned my hard disk. His kernel
didn't have support for my CD-ROM compiled in, though, so I couldn't
get any further.

I've installed/maintained/used SunOS systems for years, but I'm new to
Linux, and I'm fresh out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated!

-------------

Here are the gory details:

My system configuration is:
        Intel Premiere II 90 MHz Pentium PCI motherboard with
                PCI EIDE, second IDE, 2 serial ports, par port and
                floppy i/f on board
        ATI mach32 video
        Sound Blaster 16 with CD-ROM interface and Sony CDU-33A drive
        3Com 3C509 ethernet board
        1G EIDE hard disk
        16M RAM

I typed "linux hd=2100,16,63" at the "boot:" prompt.

The part of the boot-time messages that seemed relevant to me said:

[stuff before here deleted]

Partition check:
  hda: WDC AC31000H, 1033MB w/128KB Cache, CHS=2100/16/63, MaxMult=16
  hda: hda1
RAMDISK: 104960 bytes, starting at 0x248b48
VFS: Disk change detected on device 15/0
ll_rw_block: only 2048-char blocks implemented (1024)
MINIX-fs: unable to read superblock
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
c0000000
current->tss.cr3 - 0001d000, %cr3 = 0001d000
*pde = 00102027
*pte = 00000027
Oops: 0000
[stack and register frame info deleted]

Thanks in advance for any advice....

--
Mark J. Blair   KE6MYK
Design Engineer

2. mysql/php code work in win2k but not Solaris server

3. Help, Plug and Play Modem (SupraExpress 28.8i PNP) and Soundcard (SB AWE64) installation problems

4. ftpd: why DIR doesn't work?

5. I plug'n played but couldn't plug again

6. Multilple WWW server on one LINUX

7. Yggrasil's Plug and Play won't play.

8. sendmail and tripwire

9. yggdrasil Plug 'N Play LILO problem, Pls Help

10. Help: Plug and Play Modem and Linux: linux can't see it!

11. Help: Plug and Play modems and Linux: Linux can't see it!

12. Diamond Stealth 24VLB & Yggdrasil Plug & Play Fall '94: help me run X!

13. yggdrasil Plug 'N Play Linux problem, Help!