Oracle LONG RAW's and Tar's

Post by James Hanwa » Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:13:22

I apologize for cross posting this, but the issue hits both subjects.

I'm have an Oracle 7.3.4 database on a Digital 4000 server running
Digital Unix 4.0D. The database takes GIS files from a user's working
directory, .tar.Z's them up and then loads/unloads them into an Oracle
LONG RAW field via PL/SQL calls. On occasion during an extract, the tar
command (/usr/ucb/tar) will come back and prompt "Ready for Volume 2,
type go when ready"  . These tar files do not span any volumes or drives
- they sit as a single file on a single partition (RAID 5)..

Has anyone seen such behavior from the tar command?

Cheers,

James

Oracle LONG RAW's and Tar's

Post by Mark Garret » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:51:05

Quote:> I apologize for cross posting this, but the issue hits both subjects.

> I'm have an Oracle 7.3.4 database on a Digital 4000 server running
> Digital Unix 4.0D. The database takes GIS files from a user's working
> directory, .tar.Z's them up and then loads/unloads them into an Oracle
> LONG RAW field via PL/SQL calls. On occasion during an extract, the tar
> command (/usr/ucb/tar) will come back and prompt "Ready for Volume 2,
> type go when ready"  . These tar files do not span any volumes or drives
> - they sit as a single file on a single partition (RAID 5)..

> Has anyone seen such behavior from the tar command?

I hate having to be a mind reader.
    Are you uncompressing the .Z files the using tar on the resulting file?
If so how big is the filesize of the tar image?
Tar has had some intrinsic filesize limits.
If the above is what your doing alternate to using a pipe

zcat < file.tar.Z | tar xvf -

    Cheers
        Mark ;)

1. Looking for a better 'tar' than 'tar'

        I'm looking for a better tape archive program than 'tar'.  I'm
looking for the same functionality as tar (adding files to an archive,
multiple archives, etc.), but I need something that deals gracefully
with read errors.  I'm running DEC ULTRIX on a DECstation 5000, and
our version of tar aborts if it encounters a read error on the tape,
making the rest of the archive following the error inaccessible.

        Backward compatibility is not required - this will be used to
create new archives rather than working with archives made by tar.

--
Mark D. Conner
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences

2. Creating an Alias

3. How "long" is a 'tar' archive on disk?

4. RADIUS server setup

5. Raw disk access and the 'raw' program

6. What is the best why to connect win95 /dos to linux

7. ORACLE - any idea with 'ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE'

8. Upgrading Kernel 2.0.34 to 2.2.7

9. In which Solaris version 'typedef long long time_t;' ??

10. Oracle locks up when mirrored on raw lv's

11. Can't database files of Oracle 9i be set up on raw volume device?

12. tar'ing to a raw IDE drive

13. very long timeouts on 'nfs' or 'amd' init during boots