Logon problem

Post by Tru » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 06:17:13

I am having a strange problem on Alpha 4100 server running True64 v5.1
with patch kit 3. I can't add any new user nor can change password for
current user. The system seems to create the account, but when try to
log on it gives message 'No Shell' and exits out. It does the same
thing for when I change password for an existing user. I can
successfully change password but when try to log on it gives 'No
Shell'.

Any input or advise will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Logon problem

Post by Ann Majesk » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:24:00

A few things to try:

Check the shell listed in the /etc/passwd file for the
affected user(s) to make sure that it is a valid shell
from /etc/shells.

Check for any other obvious corruption in the
/etc/passwd file

Check to make sure that the shell(s) listed in the
/etc/passwd file are there and executable.

Try checking the line in the /etc/passwd file for a user
that currently works before and after changing the password
for that user.  What changes?

Logon problem

Post by Jon Map » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 21:06:26

Also

What is your security set to BASE or ENHANCED ??

You should be using dxaccounts to add users

Jon

Quote:> A few things to try: