Interface names.

Post by Matthie » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:52:40

Hi,

I would like to knoww if it is possible to change the network-interface
names.
For exemple my fddi card is fta1 and I want it to be fta0, how can I do ?

Thanks,
Regards.
Matthieu

1. network interface names ethX and renaming interfaces

Hello *,

in Linux 2.2.20 I have a problem renaming the network interface dummy0
to eth0 and then starting a regular ethernet driver --- I would like
it to come up as eth1 but it comes up as eth0, messing up the dummy0
interface.

Reading the source, it appears that in init_ethernev(), ethernet
drivers claim device names according to the array ethdev_index and
shoot down any device name eth0 claimed by a non-ethernet driver.

Therefore it appears to me that SIOCSIFNAME should either disallow
renaming to ethX or it should adjust ethdev_index.

Thanks in advance for any comment/advice,
Hein

-

2. Default OS when LILO boots

3. Interface names for a UNIX machine with more than one interface.

4. XF86Config for Toshiba laptop

5. What ifconfig interface name for serial cable interface??

6. what to do with file.tar.Z.C?

7. How to change the interface name?

8. Mouse Pointer problem

9. Strange network interface names