System logging going to console not log file

System logging going to console not log file

Post by Djone » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 07:17:14

I am having problems with my Tru64 version 4.0g system.  The problems
originally began when I was running 4.0f.

I want the output of the daemon logging to go to the normal syslog files.
Even though I specify the daemon.priority process to output to
/var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log  the output is routed to /dev/console.

I've pastes a sample of my /etc/syslog.conf below for details.  Has anyone
encountered this before?  I'm stuck trying to figure it out.  The output
from all other facilities is routed as stated by the option.

Thanks for any information

Dale

/etc/syslog.conf file:
==============
# facilities: kern user mail daemon auth syslog lpr binary
# priorities: emerg alert crit err warning notice info debug

*.emerg                 *
*.crit                  /dev/console
*.crit                  /dev/console
*.alert                 /var/adm/syslog.dated/critical.log

kern.debug              /var/adm/syslog.dated/kern.log
kern.debug              /var/adm/messages
kern.debug              /dev/console

user.info               /var/adm/syslog.dated/user.log
mail.notice             /var/adm/syslog.dated/mail.log
daemon.notice           /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log
auth.debug              /var/adm/syslog.dated/auth.log
syslog.notice           /var/adm/syslog.dated/syslog.log
lpr.notice              /var/adm/syslog.dated/lpr.log
msgbuf.err              /var/adm/crash/msgbuf.savecore

System logging going to console not log file

Post by Mario Stargar » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 01:52:55

        On my 4.0f box, the syslog man page says to start syslogd with the -s
switch to disable logging to the console.

        Mario

> I am having problems with my Tru64 version 4.0g system.  The problems
> originally began when I was running 4.0f.

> I want the output of the daemon logging to go to the normal syslog files.
> Even though I specify the daemon.priority process to output to
> /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log  the output is routed to /dev/console.

> I've pastes a sample of my /etc/syslog.conf below for details.  Has anyone
> encountered this before?  I'm stuck trying to figure it out.  The output
> from all other facilities is routed as stated by the option.

> Thanks for any information

> Dale

> /etc/syslog.conf file:
> ==============
> # facilities: kern user mail daemon auth syslog lpr binary
> # priorities: emerg alert crit err warning notice info debug

> *.emerg                 *
> *.crit                  /dev/console
> *.crit                  /dev/console
> *.alert                 /var/adm/syslog.dated/critical.log

> kern.debug              /var/adm/syslog.dated/kern.log
> kern.debug              /var/adm/messages
> kern.debug              /dev/console

> user.info               /var/adm/syslog.dated/user.log
> mail.notice             /var/adm/syslog.dated/mail.log
> daemon.notice           /var/adm/syslog.dated/daemon.log
> auth.debug              /var/adm/syslog.dated/auth.log
> syslog.notice           /var/adm/syslog.dated/syslog.log
> lpr.notice              /var/adm/syslog.dated/lpr.log
> msgbuf.err              /var/adm/crash/msgbuf.savecore

1. "Logging" or "Log structured" file systems with news spool.

(I've included comp.arch.storage and comp.databases in hopes of getting
info from people who know about large file systems with lots of small
files).

We're putting together a new news machine since our old one, which was
a large general server is going to be retired in a few months.  Instead
of burdening our newer servers with news, we want to set up a
workstation (Sparc 5 w/Solaris 2.4) dedicated to news.

I figure that anything I can do to speed up disk performance in the
news spool disk is worth a fair amount of effort.  News is pretty close
to a worst case scenario for disk performance due to the small files
(3.5KB average, 2KB typical) and the fact that news requires tons of
random seeking.  I'd like to plan this system so that it can easily
handle the news load for several years as well as support about 100
readers.  Right now my news spool contains about three-hundred-
thousand files and I expire news after 5 days.

I plan to move to the INN transport software with this new news server.

I've been researching things and I believe that using a log structured
file system (provided by Veritas Volume Manager) can probably buy me
some extra performance, particularly during news reception (lots of
small writes).  Is this correct?  I believe Sun's Online: Disksuite 3.0
provides a logging UFS.  Might this increase performance if I decide
not to use Veritas for some reason?

Also, we'll be using multiple 1GB disks.  I suspect that using multiple
disks with large stripe (interlace) sizes will also be a win since
individual articles end up on one disk or another but not spread over
each except for the relatively rare large article.  I'm hoping this
will reduce the individual seeking that has to be done on each disk.
Even if it doesn't buy me any performance (though I hope it will) I'm
hoping this will at least reduce wear on the disks by distributing the
workload.

I'd appreciate any comments or advice on this subject.

--Bill Davidson

2. PPP Connect t

3. console log is not saved in the specific file?

4. Howto program ecpp0 correctly?

5. How can I split a log file into several log files?

6. Trouble setting up dual NIC machine

7. wierd stuffs in proxy log file and back end server log file

8. Need a shareware debugger for solaris 2.4

9. Open Linux 2.2-After log-in KDE loads and goes back to log-in screen

10. netfilter LOG target logging to the console

11. Check your ppp.log or ppp.tun0.log in /var/log

12. ipppd logs in /var/log/ipppd-auth.log ??

13. logging - "secure" logs don't tell me who is logging in?