File versions

Post by Neil » Sun, 12 May 2002 04:03:03

Does anyone know if tru64 has the equivalent to VMS file versions. Where
each file changed or copied gets a new version or generation? If so, what is
the feature called?

Any help is appreciated.

Neil.

File versions

Post by Bob Harri » Sun, 12 May 2002 04:53:12

X Does anyone know if tru64 has the equivalent to VMS file versions. Where
X each file changed or copied gets a new version or generation? If so, what is
X the feature called?
X Any help is appreciated.

No.

When I first used UNIX after coming from VMS (this was even before the
microVMS and OpenVMS name variations), I tried to write a wrapper script
around my editor command to create version numbered files.  I gave up
because I would have had to write wrappers for too many commands and
this would not have addressed programs that created new files.

I eventually just got used to the way UNIX worked.

                                Bob Harris

File versions

Post by Peter da Sil » Sun, 12 May 2002 11:04:44

> Does anyone know if tru64 has the equivalent to VMS file versions. Where
> each file changed or copied gets a new version or generation? If so, what is
> the feature called?

Not in the OS. It does however come with software that provides a finer
grained version (heh) of the same capability, but you need to take special
steps to use it.

Type "man sccs" for info.

--
I've seen things you people can't imagine. Chimneysweeps on fire over the roofs
of London. I've watched kite-strings glitter in the sun at Hyde Park Gate.  All

1. File versions in kernel of file system

When I was system manager for a few VAXen, one of the best features of
VMS that I fell in love with was its automagic version control.

Whenever you saved a file, the old one was kept and the new one just got
a higher version number.  That way you could have 25 of the latest
versions of your file without doing anything.  Then when you logged out,
the old versions would be purged up to a limit you specified (I usually
set it to 5).

This is great for working on source code, and saved my butt many times.

Is there anyway this could be implemented in the kernel and/or file
system?  While it will use more disk space if you have it turned on, VMS
let you do a SET FILE/VERSION=0 * (I believe, its been 2 years) that
would let you turn off version support.

I see this as being a VERY useful feature.  For those who don't know
about how VMS handled this, lets say you create a new file called
TEST.ME;0.  When you save this file, it will be shown on disk as
TEST.ME;1.  Next time you save it, TEST.ME;2 and so on.  If you simply
type EDIT TEST.ME, it will grab the latest version (the one with the
highest number).  You can specify a specific version by using its number
ie: EDIT TEST.ME;3.

If you want to get rid of old versions, you can say PURGE/KEEP=2 which
will keep the last 2 versions of just PURGE which will get rid of all.
Upon logout, your directory will be purged to the limit you specify.
You can even do such things as SET FILE/KEEP=5 *.COM and SET
FILE/KEEP=10 *.C which will keep the last 10 *.C files on logout, but
only the last 5 *.COM.  This can also be done on a directory by
directory basis.

(I can't remember if KEEP was the correct keyword or not on SET
FILE/KEEP, but it is something similar).

Can this be done in the Linux kernel/and/or file systems without too
much trouble?

It would really be nice to be able to have this built in.  I do not have
the willpower to get myself to make backup copies before I change my
source, and programs that provide a single backup copy automatically are
of not much use (I may make a lot of changes, have a compile error, fix
it, decide that the changes didn't work and want to go back to the
original code, can't do this with a single bak file).

Thanks,
Brian Raynor

2. Printer Problem

3. Comps file version error

4. X client for Win32

5. File version date.

6. PPP dial on demand to Internet

7. OpenVMS like file versions?

8. xdmkey - 'nother toy to spice up XDM

9. help: where to get "guide to gdb" postscript file version?

10. Installation Problem: comps file version error

11. file version

12. The jargon file version 2.2.1 15 DEC 1990 follows in 10 parts

13. MK Linux Comps file version 0