Cron Refresh

Post by dsamuel » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 13:43:10

Isn't there a way to refresh cron to pick up changes made using crontab
-e? I made the changes but the specified jobs did not run. I'm thinking
I need to refresh cron to pick up the changes. Is this true? Thanks.

Cron Refresh

Post by Adam Pric » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 22:21:50

> Isn't there a way to refresh cron to pick up changes made using
> crontab -e? I made the changes but the specified jobs did not run.
> I'm thinking I need to refresh cron to pick up the changes. Is this
> true? Thanks.

Crontab -e should do that for you, that's the whole point of using
it rather than editing the file yourself.
Why do you think the job didn't run?
Post the crontab entry and the script. Give details of the version of
Tru64 and the patch level.
Then perhaps we can help you to figure out the real cause of the problem.
Hope this helps
Adam

Cron Refresh

Post by Mike Colema » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:30:45

> Crontab -e should do that for you, that's the whole point of using
> it rather than editing the file yourself.

(plus it should provide locking to prevent simultaneous changes)

Quote:> Why do you think the job didn't run?
> Post the crontab entry and the script. Give details of the version of
> Tru64 and the patch level.

You might also check the logs.  I can't recall which one it is on Tru64, but
one of them in /var/adm should log cron runs.

Mike

Cron Refresh

Post by Geert Van Pame » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 04:11:40

I have seen the following problem when editing the cron file for another
user:

crontab -e idxxxxxx

This changed the control file,
when I verified with crontab -l the contents was correctly shown,
but the cron daemon did not execute the new contents.
We are running Unix 4.0D

To solve the problem, I needed to follow the following commands:

su - idxxxxxx
crontab -l |crontab

This seems to work ... since then I prefer the following

su - idxxxxxx
crontab -e

which seems to work also ...

Cron Refresh

Post by John » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 19:16:13

Hi

I always use crontab -e and this reads in the new entries when you save and
quit.
The other option is to stop and start cron when the new entries have been
added

Cheers John

Quote:> Isn't there a way to refresh cron to pick up changes made using crontab
> -e? I made the changes but the specified jobs did not run. I'm thinking
> I need to refresh cron to pick up the changes. Is this true? Thanks.

Cron Refresh

Post by Jon Map » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 21:00:46

crontab -v will resubmit the cron and verify a time of submission...

handy if you have used vi or another editor to edit the cron file.

Note must be done as the user fo that cron file or use an su -c

Jon

Quote:> Isn't there a way to refresh cron to pick up changes made using crontab
> -e? I made the changes but the specified jobs did not run. I'm thinking
> I need to refresh cron to pick up the changes. Is this true? Thanks.

Cron Refresh

Post by Chuc » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 02:26:07

I don't understand this discussion.  I almost always just do
"crontab -l > xx" to get a copy of the crontab file, then
edit xx, then do "crontab xx" to update the crontab file.
Often I'll do this just to temporarily schedule a process to
start at a different time, such as 10 or 15 seconds from
now, then change it back to the regular schedule after the
process starts.  I've never had a problem with crontab
immediately picking up the change and running the process at
the newly specified time.  (I know I can use 'at now' to do
this, but then I have to worry about typing stuff
correctly.)

Am I missing something?   Not saying I'm not.

Chuck H.

Cron Refresh

Post by Andrew Ro » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 16:25:11

> Isn't there a way to refresh cron to pick up changes made using crontab
> -e? I made the changes but the specified jobs did not run. I'm thinking
> I need to refresh cron to pick up the changes. Is this true? Thanks.

I've had the same thing happen <blush>.

In my case it was just me getting caught not remembering that cron
runs jobs under a very minimal environment, and under sh. I was trying
to work out why cron wasn't picking up the crontab changes, but that
wasn't the real problem.

A script which ran fine from the command prompt, would seemingly not
run from cron. What I had to do was establish the same environment
variables within the script before cron would actually run the job.

Don't know if this applies in your case.

Cheers,
Andrew

1. cron : How to refresh / restart

Friends,

1.      Under AIX 4.1.5 how to restart or refresh cron daemon without
rebooting system? I even could not understood role of telinit q

2.      cron daemon NEVER exits (I tried kil -9 PID , taking rebirth ) I am
just keen to know to stop cron daemon (like stopsrc -s qdaemon).

Thank,

VK

--
The reason many people fail to recognise opportunity is because it comes
disguised as Hard Work. Cleverness carries the day, But Wisdom endureth.

2. uugetty and SD & RD lights stay on

3. Refreshing Cron Deamon

4. PnP Modem not working with isapnp

5. cron.deny and cron.allow files for CRON management

6. top: trace a certain process

7. cron and visual cron

8. Problem w/ DVI GeForce2 Ultra and Digital LCD Viewsonic VG181

9. cron, perl, and signals -- cron spins out of control

10. Why doesn't cron run the lp cron file?

11. Help! Cron and Samba / Cron and missing directories?

12. Cron <root@host> run-parts /etc/cron.daily

13. cron listed as /USR/BIN/CRON ???