Tru64 4.0f hard drive question

Post by Paul Kl » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 23:23:46

I have received an Alpha 20 running Tru64 4.0f
I look at the disk configuration and I have two drives
one of which is partitioned and the other isn't partitioned yet.

FIRST question - I would like to increase the partition sizes on the
first drive - too small and I have room to grow. Can this be done
dynamically or do I have to install the OS again
SECOND question - assuming I like how the partitions are set on the
first drive - is there a way to "mirror" the two drives so the second
drive can be - for lack of a better term - a hot spare? I was thinking
of running dd for each partition nightly - comments suggestions? Don't
want to buy third party software like Veritas FS.
Thanks

Post by Joerg-Uwe Tessme » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 22:57:13

> I have received an Alpha 20 running Tru64 4.0f
> I look at the disk configuration and I have two drives
> one of which is partitioned and the other isn't partitioned yet.

> FIRST question - I would like to increase the partition sizes on the
> first drive - too small and I have room to grow. Can this be done
> dynamically or do I have to install the OS again

Yes and no.
Is your filesystem type AdvFs:
 - you can add a partition to your small partition withaout
   reinstall yor files/OS
 - you can increase the partition space, then you must reinstall
   your files / OS
Is yor filesystem type UFS:
 - you must reinstall your files / OS after increase the partition size

Quote:> SECOND question - assuming I like how the partitions are set on the
> first drive - is there a way to "mirror" the two drives so the second
> drive can be - for lack of a better term - a hot spare? I was thinking
> of running dd for each partition nightly - comments suggestions? Don't
> want to buy third party software like Veritas FS.
> Thanks

I'm not shure, but i think a disk shadow software is available.

Joerg-Uwe
--
Joerg-Uwe Tessmer              Universitaet Potsdam
Tel.: +49+331-9771613          Institut fuer Physik

Tru64 4.0f hard drive question

Post by Ray » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 09:52:25

Disk Mirroring or Shadowing is part of either LMF or AdvFs.  I
forget which.
Quote:> I'm not shure, but i think a disk shadow software is available.

Tru64 4.0f hard drive question

Post by Vaughn Clinto » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 15:20:05

I think you're talking about LSF ... anyway, it's software mirroring -- or
striping ... and it works well when functioning correctly, but is very
unfriendly when it starts mis-behaving.

Quote:> Disk Mirroring or Shadowing is part of either LMF or AdvFs.  I

Post by Rick Turn » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 04:03:49

> I have received an Alpha 20 running Tru64 4.0f
> I look at the disk configuration and I have two drives
> one of which is partitioned and the other isn't partitioned yet.

> FIRST question - I would like to increase the partition sizes on the
> first drive - too small and I have room to grow. Can this be done
> dynamically or do I have to install the OS again

It shouldn't be necessary to totally reinstall the OS on the second
drive. Let's assume that the second disk is large enough to hold the
partitions that you want. You should be able to create partitions on
the second drive and copy the contents of the current boot drive onto
it.  Just make sure you use the options of the disklabel command to
copy the correct bootblocks onto the second drive (disklabel -t
whatever ...) or it won't boot.  At the console prompt you can force
the system to boot from the second drive.  Don't forget to modify
/sbin/swapdefault (if you're using conservative swapping).  There may
be other things that would need to be tweaked to use the new device
name as well; depends on your apps, etc.  If everything works you can
set the second drive to be the default boot device or physically swap
the drives (i.e., make rz1 -> rz0.  We keep an unused drive in the
system just for upgrades -- duping the current boot device onto it
before the upgrade.  Makes it easy to fall back (just in case) and
tons faster than restoring from tape (though we make a backup onto
magtape as well).

If the second drive isn't big enough to hold the size of partitions
that you want then you're stuck with resizing partitions on the
current boot device.  You're looking at a backup to tape of each
partition, booting from CD-ROM, editing the disklabel, and restoring
from tape.  Section 9.7 of the 4.0F Installation Guide (paperback
version anyway) and the disklabel manpage would be a good place to
start if you decide to go this route.

Quote:> SECOND question - assuming I like how the partitions are set on the
> first drive - is there a way to "mirror" the two drives so the second
> drive can be - for lack of a better term - a hot spare? I was thinking
> of running dd for each partition nightly - comments suggestions? Don't
> want to buy third party software like Veritas FS.

You can use LSM for mirroring but you'll need a license to use the
mirroring features.  According to the LSM manual the license is needed
for ``mirroring, striping, and the Visual Administrator...''.  I've
been moving toward getting LSM off our systems so I'm not sure what
good it's for if you're not going to be doing striping or mirroring.
:-)
Quote:> Thanks

Tru64 4.0f hard drive question

Post by Big » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 05:37:49

If I were you I would try and use the advanced file system (advfs).
Once you are using this you can add additional partitions into the
file systems (except for the root partition which must consist of a
single disk partition)

This is a link to the appendix of the advfs online documentation which
provides an example of creating an advfs file system on a second disk
and copying from the original disk.

http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/HTML/ADVF...

Big H.

>> I have received an Alpha 20 running Tru64 4.0f
>> I look at the disk configuration and I have two drives
>> one of which is partitioned and the other isn't partitioned yet.

>> FIRST question - I would like to increase the partition sizes on the
>> first drive - too small and I have room to grow. Can this be done
>> dynamically or do I have to install the OS again

>It shouldn't be necessary to totally reinstall the OS on the second
>drive. Let's assume that the second disk is large enough to hold the
>partitions that you want. You should be able to create partitions on
>the second drive and copy the contents of the current boot drive onto
>it.  Just make sure you use the options of the disklabel command to
>copy the correct bootblocks onto the second drive (disklabel -t
>whatever ...) or it won't boot.  At the console prompt you can force
>the system to boot from the second drive.  Don't forget to modify
>/sbin/swapdefault (if you're using conservative swapping).  There may
>be other things that would need to be tweaked to use the new device
>name as well; depends on your apps, etc.  If everything works you can
>set the second drive to be the default boot device or physically swap
>the drives (i.e., make rz1 -> rz0.  We keep an unused drive in the
>system just for upgrades -- duping the current boot device onto it
>before the upgrade.  Makes it easy to fall back (just in case) and
>tons faster than restoring from tape (though we make a backup onto
>magtape as well).

>If the second drive isn't big enough to hold the size of partitions
>that you want then you're stuck with resizing partitions on the
>current boot device.  You're looking at a backup to tape of each
>partition, booting from CD-ROM, editing the disklabel, and restoring
>from tape.  Section 9.7 of the 4.0F Installation Guide (paperback
>version anyway) and the disklabel manpage would be a good place to
>start if you decide to go this route.

>> SECOND question - assuming I like how the partitions are set on the
>> first drive - is there a way to "mirror" the two drives so the second
>> drive can be - for lack of a better term - a hot spare? I was thinking
>> of running dd for each partition nightly - comments suggestions? Don't
>> want to buy third party software like Veritas FS.

>You can use LSM for mirroring but you'll need a license to use the
>mirroring features.  According to the LSM manual the license is needed
>for ``mirroring, striping, and the Visual Administrator...''.  I've
>been moving toward getting LSM off our systems so I'm not sure what
>good it's for if you're not going to be doing striping or mirroring.
>:-)

>> Thanks

1. Tru64 4.0F hard drive info

I am running an ES40 with LSM and I need to do the following for auditors
1) Print out the individual drive information
2) Print out the raid configuration

Print out hard drive infomation
ie I have 9 drives
1 internal which is system drive and 8 external which make up two mirrored arrays
They want specifics - each drive size etc
then they want raid info etc....
Is there a command line tool taht can do this - freeware or Tru64

Thanks in advance

2. Can't remove News Ticker from KPanel

3. scsi hard drives on tru64?

4. Bandwith management (throttling) at home

5. Tru64 Supported Hardware / IDE Hard Drive

6. Diamond Stealth 64 PCI S3-968 VRAM and XFree86

7. TOP or SYD for tru64 4.0F

8. A very promissing site

9. Installing True Type Fonts on TRU64 4.0F

10. Tru64 4.0F "Too many users logged on already."

11. Boot problems due to wrong run-level with patch kit 7 on Tru64 V4.0f

12. Need help with "nmap" on Tru64 v4.0F

13. sendmail and masquerading on Tru64 V4.0f