tru64 upgrade (5.1->5.1b) - need advice

Post by dark sid » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:39:34

Hi,

I am planning an upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1b on a gs80 box. Any words of
advice, experiences, dos and don'ts etc.?

Thank you,
Ognen

tru64 upgrade (5.1->5.1b) - need advice

Post by dani » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 04:56:34

Ognen,

Clustered or non clustered?

If yes, then you'll have to go 5.1 => 5.1a => 5.1b, including the
"switch" and "clean" step while resting at 5.1a.

This is just one aspect of upgrading a system -one need to get some
more system specific data to get a chance of saying this or that...

/David

Quote:>Hi,

>I am planning an upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1b on a gs80 box. Any words of
>advice, experiences, dos and don'ts etc.?

>Thank you,
>Ognen

tru64 upgrade (5.1->5.1b) - need advice

Post by dark sid » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 05:15:34

Hi,

it is one box (gs80) and I inherited its maintenance recently. It is at
5.1 and is clustered, yes. Let me know what other info you need! Also,
what do you mean with "switch" and "clean"?

Thank you very much,
Ognen

Post by Zoong Pha » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:52:44

> it is one box (gs80) and I inherited its maintenance recently. It is at
> 5.1 and is clustered, yes.

What do you mean "one box" and "clustered"?
That is contradict each other, IMHO.

Quote:> what do you mean with "switch" and "clean"?

>> If yes, then you'll have to go 5.1 => 5.1a => 5.1b, including the
>> "switch" and "clean" step while resting at 5.1a.

They are different steps/stages of ugrading cluster process.
See manpage of clu_upgrade for more info.

--
Zoong PHAM                 UNIX Systems Administrator
Mercy Health and Aged Care Inc. Melbourne - Australia

PGP public key is available on request

tru64 upgrade (5.1->5.1b) - need advice

Post by Lukasz Tylutk » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:27:16

U?ytkownik dark side napisa3:

Quote:> Hi,

> I am planning an upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1b on a gs80 box. Any words of
> advice, experiences, dos and don'ts etc.?

> Thank you,
> Ognen

Well, if you're working in clustered environment, you have to make
rolling upgrade! And remember to get the patch (#001). Without patching
we had serious problems (panic's in cluster wide NFS).
And between the stages of upgrades (patches), I suggest shutdown -h then
   boot -fl s instead of init -s.

TYlut

--
Lukasz Tylutki, Gdynia, Poland

1. Upgrade of DU4.0D(patch6) -> Tru64 5.1

We are using an Alphaserver 4100 5/466 with a Storageworks 450 RAID Array.
This machine is used for development and testing purposes in order to
support a bespoke application. This application is used by two of our
clients. We (the two clients and ourselves) will need to upgrade the OS very
soon. I am interested to get an understanding of the best (and safest) way
to do this, given that we must be able to support both clients throughout
the upgrade process. I had considered the following;

1) Schedule (only) the upgrade on site - to be managed by the clients.
2) Lease a machine and configuring it so that could be used to support both
clients.
3) Perform the OS upgrade on the original machine.
4) Test the OS.
5) Test the application
6) Fix any problems
7) Deliver the application fixes
8) Give the OK to both clients to perform the OS upgrade and apply any
application patches.
9) Allow a week or so in case there are any major upgrade issues
10) Return the leased machine.

Having never performed an OS upgrade I am obviously concerned about the
implications of the upgrade. Can anyone advise me on the following;

1) What kind of problems might I encounter?
2) Are there any automated scripts for testing the OS after the upgrade?
3) Is the above a gold plated solution?
4) What is the recommended approach?

Any help or advise is much appreciated.

Regards,

Mat.

2. Avoid echo

3. Alphaserver 2000 4/275 and TRU64 (5.1, 5.1b)

4. Samba-16.pl11 und Quota unter Linux

5. Migration Tru64 4.0D to Tru64 5.1

6. Real Time HTML

7. KZPAC support under Tru64 5.1>

8. Lazy Way To Lose Weight !

9. KZPAC support on Tru64 5.1>

10. Patching tru64 5.1/trucluster 5.1

11. Need GCC & debugger on Tru64 5.1

12. Advice needed on backup management software for AIX 5.1

13. RedHat 5.0 -> 5.1 upgrade problems