Using setld to resinstall subsets with patches

Using setld to resinstall subsets with patches

Post by b.. » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 06:33:14

        I would like to use setld to add a software subset from the
distribution CD related to a product that has been patched. In my
particular case, I would like to add the Trucluster man pages subset,
TCRMAN150. The other TCR subsets were installed in the past and
subsequently patched so there are a bunch of TCRPATxxxxxxxxxxx subsets
installed. When I do try to load the TCRMAN150 subset, I receive a
message "The product is already installed" and "please delete all of the
associated subsets before installing TCRMAN150". Now, if I delete all
the TCR related subsets and reinstall them, I suspect I am going to lose
all the patches. Can anyone confirm? Is the conclusion that I can't add
the man pages without obtaining and reinstalling all the patches to
the software itself? I would appreciate any insight anyone can provide.
                                        Steve Bart

Post by Emmanuel Choqu » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:14:08

> I would like to use setld to add a software subset from the
> distribution CD related to a product that has been patched. In my
> particular case, I would like to add the Trucluster man pages subset,
> TCRMAN150. The other TCR subsets were installed in the past and
> subsequently patched so there are a bunch of TCRPATxxxxxxxxxxx subsets
> installed. When I do try to load the TCRMAN150 subset, I receive a
> message "The product is already installed" and "please delete all of the
> associated subsets before installing TCRMAN150". Now, if I delete all
> the TCR related subsets and reinstall them, I suspect I am going to lose
> all the patches. Can anyone confirm? Is the conclusion that I can't add
> the man pages without obtaining and reinstalling all the patches to
> the software itself? I would appreciate any insight anyone can provide.
>                                    Steve Bart

*Not an official answer*, but this is what I'd try :

You're dealing only with man page, so this should not be too dangerous  :
just cd whre TCRMAN150 subset is.
and force reinstallation with overwriting :

setld -l . TCRMAN150

Cheers

1. Help with 'setld' subset control programs?

Hello, all...

I'm trying to develop and debug a subset control program for use with
the Tru64 'setld' installation utility.  The problem is, the large
"case" statement within the SCP doesn't get handled correctly.  The
actual text of the error when installing the subset is:

"/var/tmp/stltmp23623/STMAPI620.scp: syntax error at line 393: `end of
file' unexpected"

By using "set -x" and "set -v" commands within the SCP, I can see that
setld is actually reading until the very end of the SCP file, even past
the ";;" and "esac" lines.  I suppose there is a syntax error or script
formatting error somewhere, but the shell isn't too forgiving or
helpful.

Are there any special handling or formatting considerations of which I
should be aware? I've reviewed several of the Tru64 system SCP scripts,
but haven't spotted any glaring errors, by comparison.  OTOH, I've seen
extra blank lines and ";;" lines at the bottom of some system scripts.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Keith Benoit
Charlotte, NC

2. Real Player Panic!

3. Looking up setld subsets

4. missing library

5. setld -d doesn't delete directories created when installing product with setld -l

6. Red Hat: What are you supposed to do with a Kernel Source RPM?

7. Resinstalling Linux drivers

8. Trident 8900 problem

9. setld -d doesn't delete directories that are created as part of a product installed with setld -l

10. setld shows packages but also says they are not installed etc...

11. Combining multiple setld install kits

12. setld/fverify

13. Calling External Scripts From Within A "setld" SCP?