Corrupted /usr advfs file domain

Post by M » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:55:57

We have just lost our /usr advfs disk. The server
doesn't want to boot up correctly as it is looking for files
in /usr/sbin directories.

I can boot into single user mode on the console ok.

Is it possible just reinstall just the /usr from the cd?

If I had a another spare disk I just could rebuild unix from scratch,
and just copy over the /usr part of the o/s onto my new blank /usr disk,
and reboot as normal.

Is there any other way?????

kind regards

Marc

Corrupted /usr advfs file domain

Post by Bob Harri » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:36:39

X We have just lost our /usr advfs disk. The server
X doesn't want to boot up correctly as it is looking for files
X in /usr/sbin directories.
X I can boot into single user mode on the console ok.
X Is it possible just reinstall just the /usr from the cd?
X If I had a another spare disk I just could rebuild unix from scratch,
X and just copy over the /usr part of the o/s onto my new blank /usr disk,
X and reboot as normal.
X Is there any other way?????
X kind regards
X Marc

When you say lost /usr, do you mean as in the disk died, or is it just
corrupt and maybe repairable?

If the physical disk is OK, you might try using

        /sbin/advfs/fixfdmn

If you do not have a copy, you can get a current copy from Customer
Support.

                                        Bob Harris