Restricting access from network for different users.

Restricting access from network for different users.

Post by Anton Fyodoro » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:20:07

Hello Everyone !

Can anybody advise me how to restrict particular users from accessing DUX
4.0 E server from network? I want some of them log on only from console.

Thank you in advance

Anton

Post by Mario Stargar » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 05:29:37

> Hello Everyone !

> Can anybody advise me how to restrict particular users from accessing DUX
> 4.0 E server from network? I want some of them log on only from console.

> Thank you in advance

> Anton

Well, you can prevent folks from seeing the network interface based on
their source; this is done with /etc/ifaccess.conf and comes with Tru64.

Then there's tcpwrappers, where you can wrap telnetd, rshd, rlogind, etc
in /etc/inetd.conf.  Also, you can wrap sshd using the libwrap.a
library.  tcpwrappers is freely available on the internet.

You can restrict logins altogether by setting the user's shell to
/bin/false in /etc/passwd.

Finally, if you're not too concerned about actual security, put some
code into /etc/profile to allow/reject certain users depending where
they're coming from.  LOGNAME contains the user's login name.  I do this
on my workstation to renice users who aren't root or me. ;-)

Cheers,
Mario

1. access restricted by password: problem with nested directories with different accesses

Hi there!

Here is a small problem i encoutner:
i have a Apache Server, with directory /admin that is restricted to user
webmaster
Recently, i have installed in this dir a subdir containing a program
that also interested the user root ( unix machine admininstrator).
(btw. this app is Big brother, you are strongly invited to try it )
In this way  i created him a http identity "root", with a pass.
I've also modified the access.conf:

# only webmaster access
<Directory /home/httpd/htdocs/admin>
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
        AuthName Webmaster
    AllowOverride None
        <Limit GET>
                require user web
        </Limit>
</Directory>

# webmaster AND root access
<Directory /home/httpd/htdocs/admin/bb>
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
        AuthName Webmaster or Admin
    AllowOverride None
        <Limit GET>
                require user root web
        </Limit>
</Directory>

But when i (web) try to connect to bb,;apcahe ask for my pass *twice* .
I guessed that Apcahe check the access for both directories.
I tried a few other configs, but none worked.

Any Apache Guru that knows how to fix that ?

Leo

2. Gateway Solo 9550 - X Display messed up on lcd, but works on ext. monitor

3. Restricting user access between network interfaces

4. Static route problem on 2.5.1

5. Need Data

6. How to restrict web user from tranversing to different directories in Solaris 2.8 FTP server

7. Read and Execute Permissions of a directory

8. restricted shell or restricted access

9. Restricting user access to directories

10. restrict file access to only one particular user who enters correct password in web

11. Restricting ftp directory access on a per user basis

12. restrict ftp user access