EMC, TRU64, and ADVFS

Post by Dave Hamilto » Sat, 26 May 2001 13:25:19

Hi all, I'm going to be doing some work soon on a TRU64 server using
Advanced filesystems and has its storage on an EMC frame. The customer
requires a 2nd copy of their data, created using EMC's TimeFinder
software, to be mounted onto the same host. Does anyone know if ADVFS
uses something like disk-ids or domain-ids etc? If so is there a way to
manually change the id before mounting it so there is not two copies of
the same id on the system at one time.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dave

--
Dave Hamilton
Business Enterprise Consulting Pty Ltd

EMC, TRU64, and ADVFS

Post by Eric Bennet » Sun, 27 May 2001 16:25:13

> Hi all, I'm going to be doing some work soon on a TRU64 server using
> Advanced filesystems and has its storage on an EMC frame. The customer
> requires a 2nd copy of their data, created using EMC's TimeFinder
> software, to be mounted onto the same host. Does anyone know if ADVFS
> uses something like disk-ids or domain-ids etc? If so is there a way to
> manually change the id before mounting it so there is not two copies of
> the same id on the system at one time.

> Thanks for your assistance.

Fact:
File domains have IDs, and the IDs are part of the info displayed by the
"showfdmn" command.

Educated guessing:
I don't know about changing the IDs easily, but I'm not sure that's
necessary.  According to the mkfdmn man page, all domains on a system
must have a unique text name (the name the user assigns when the domain
is first created) but it says nothing about a requirement for unique ID
tags.  Presumably, if you simply give the domains different names, that
allows it to differentiate among them.

I don't think the text names are stored in the domain itself, they're
just set by whatever you name the directories in /etc/fdmns.  The domain
ID may simply be for consistency checking such that if the devices
specified for a domain in /etc/fdmns don't all have the same ID tag, it
can warn you that you probably goofed.

--
Eric Bennett ( http://www.pobox.com/~ericb/ )
Cornell University / Chemistry & Chemical Biology

Washington budget estimators are the only professionals whose forecasting skills
are more suspect than television weathermen.  -Daniel Gross

EMC, TRU64, and ADVFS

Post by Bob Harri » Thu, 31 May 2001 05:43:54

X  Hi all, I'm going to be doing some work soon on a TRU64 server using
X  Advanced filesystems and has its storage on an EMC frame. The customer
X  requires a 2nd copy of their data, created using EMC's TimeFinder
X  software, to be mounted onto the same host. Does anyone know if ADVFS
X  uses something like disk-ids or domain-ids etc? If so is there a way to
X  manually change the id before mounting it so there is not two copies of
X  the same id on the system at one time.

The Tru64 UNIX Best Practices web site has an entry about using disk
controller created clones, mirrors, and snapshots with AdvFS.  While
the specific bit of hardware being discussed in the Compaq HSG80, the
limits and restrictions specified for AdvFS would still apply to an EMC
created copy of an AdvFS file system.  So would the suggested AdvFS
commands and procedures to use when dealing with these hardware created
copies.

<http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com/faqs/publications/best_practices/BP_SNA
PSHOT/TITLE.HTM>

1. Advfs I/O error [5] Tru64 version 4.0D

I have got this error in my /var/adm/messages file.

AdvFS I/O error:

/dev/rz8a

Tag: 0xfffffffa.0000

Page: 31

Block: 9056

Block count: 16

Type of operation: Read

Error: 5

The rz8a disk is my root_domain disk, and its a single one. No mirrors.

I have runned the verify command on the root_domain and to tell me witch
files is wrong

./verify -r root_domain

+++ Domain verification +++

Domain Id 31ef6004.00067b7e

Checking disks ...

Checking storage allocated on disk /dev/rz8a

+++ Fileset verification +++

+++ Fileset / +++

Checking frag file headers ...

Checking frag file type lists ...

Scanning directories and files ...

verify: unable to get info for file <//dev/lat>; [5] I/O error

verify: unable to get info for file <//sbin/rc0.d>; [5] I/O error

verify: unable to get info for file <//sbin/rc2.d/K20cron>; [5] I/O error

verify: unable to get info for file <//sbin/rc2.d/K30sendmail>; [5] I/O
error

verify: unable to get info for file <//sbin/rc2.d/K36presto>; [5] I/O error

verify: unable to get info for file <//sbin/rc2.d/K50syslog>; [5] I/O error

verify: unable to get info for file <//sbin/rc2.d/K52write>; [5] I/O error

Scanned 190 directories.

Scanning tags ...

     400

Scanned a total of 470 tags.

Searching for lost files ...

verify: bad link count for ino/tag 6

verify: link count = 8, expected 9

verify: bad link count for ino/tag 15

verify: link count = 8, expected 9

     400

Found 1605 lost files out of 2075 checked.

Found 2 files with incorrect link count out of 2075 checked.

My question is if there is anything I can do to correct this error or do I
have to replace the disk and do a restore from backup.

Thank you in advance.

2. Trouble booting: Unable to mount fs

3. Tru64 V5.1's Advfs using addvol function

4. Profiling code to count floting point operations

5. AdvFS partition for /tmp (tru64 5.0)?

6. Some problems in capturing traffic with tcpdump at ~ 1 Gbps

7. EMC with Tru64

8. stripping spaces

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Migration Tru64 4.0D to Tru64 5.1

11. Compaq Tru64 now officially HP Tru64?

12. Disk Problems in ADVFS

13. AdvFS-like features on Linux?