Symposium: CETS-2001 - Rich Marcello, Vice President and General Manager, Compaq High Performance Systems Division

Symposium: CETS-2001 - Rich Marcello, Vice President and General Manager, Compaq High Performance Systems Division

Post by Jeff Killee » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 04:40:55

Dear Jeff

By now you are aware Compaq has announced that we will
standardize our 64-bit enterprise server product lines,
including the NonStop Himalaya, AlphaServer, and ProLiant
families, on Intel's Itanium(tm) processor family, its
next-generation microprocessor targeted at the high-end
enterprise computing market.
http://www.compaq.com/hps/ipf-enterprise/index.html

The question you are likely now asking yourself is what does
this mean to me?

First let me assure you that Compaq will immediately begin a
full port of the Tru64 UNIX, OpenVMS and NonStop Kernel
operating systems and development tools to the Itanium
processor family. This means that all of the enterprise
features and characteristics that you have relied on will be
there on the Itanium platform. Additionally, Compaq will
continue development and enhancement of these operating
system environments ensuring that we can continue to deliver
leadership capabilities - such as clustering and
availability. Our intention is to have our first Compaq
Itanium-based systems for Tru64 UNIX and OpenVMS available
in 2003 for early ISV testing and generally available in
2004.

It is of utmost importance to us, however, that you are
confident that Compaq is delivering significant business
value today and complete investment protection in Alpha-
based solutions for many years to come. Compaq's top
priorities for Alpha-based systems remain unchanged -- to
deliver improved performance and faster implementations of
the Alpha microprocessor to meet committed performance
enhancements, while continuing to provide the most
available, scalable systems at the lowest cost.

We will continue to supply you information via our web site
and through other means, however I would like to alert you
to a special upcoming opportunity to get the information you
will need to deploy this technology. The Compaq Enterprise
Technology Symposium, which will be held in Anaheim,
California, September 9-14, will be your most concentrated
source for knowledge on how to plan fully rollout this new
technology as well as how to continue optimizing and
extending your current Alpha based environment. The
Symposium will focus on:

- Our strategy and product roadmaps. Compaq's senior
management team, including Michael Capellas, will be
there to help you clearly understand our directions.

- What to do and what not to do to get ready for our
Itanium based environment. Compaq's engineering community
will present what should be done to prepare for Itanium
and what you need to think about and what you will not
have to worry about.

- Compaq will provide the technical knowledge to not only
assist you in planning the transition to Itanium, but
also on how to achieve the best co-existence with your
existing environments.

Whether you are a Tru64 UNIX, OpenVMS, Windows 2000, or
Linux technologist the Compaq Enterprise Technology
Symposium in September is the place you need to be to get
the jump on deploying Itanium technology. Compaq will
provide the insight to show you that not only will we
deliver the best operating systems available for Itanium but
also how to prepare for adopting this technology rapidly
into your enterprise. Along with Compaq's Engineering and
Management teams, please join me in September in Anaheim.
For more information visit www.CETS2001.com.

Best Regards,

Rich Marcello, Vice President and General Manager
High Performance Systems Division

For additional information on the multi-year Compaq and
Intel technology and marketing agreement visit
http://www.compaq.com/hps/ipf-enterprise/index.html Included
on this site is the opportunity to view a webcast of the
announcement, press releases, customer quotes and more.

Post by Terry C. Shanno » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 05:20:49

> > We will continue to supply you information via our web site
> > and through other means, however I would like to alert you
> > to a special upcoming opportunity to get the information you
> > will need to deploy this technology. The Compaq Enterprise
> > Technology Symposium, which will be held in Anaheim,
> > California, September 9-14, will be your most concentrated
> > source for knowledge on how to plan fully rollout this new
> > technology

>    AHA. So this was all a plot to boost attendance
> at CETS 2001 wasn't it !!!!

Ya never know.... but truth be told, with this year's Innovate and
PartnerVision events cancelled, CETS2001 and the colocated ITUG Summit is
THE place to go to get the facts on the Alpha-IPF convergence. The timing
will be perfect, as it's gonna take Compaq a couple of months to sort out
all the details of its new strategy.

Symposium: CETS-2001 - Rich Marcello, Vice President and General Manager, Compaq High Performance Systems Division

Quote:

Post by JF Meze » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 05:59:19

> Ya never know.... but truth be told, with this year's Innovate and
> PartnerVision events cancelled, CETS2001 and the colocated ITUG Summit is
> THE place to go to get the facts on the Alpha-IPF convergence. The timing
> will be perfect, as it's gonna take Compaq a couple of months to sort out
> all the details of its new strategy.

I doubt that enough details will be available publicly in that time frame. I
would think that a year or two from now would be the time where Compaq will be
able to introduce hard facts into the equation such as the types of systems
initially available, type of pricing, licencing change policies/costs etc etc etc.

Also, this early, you won't have any serious hard facts on application porting
by ISVs because ISVs will still be waiting to evaluate their position.

Actions speak louder than words, especially when you cannot trust their words.
Let Compaq provide hard facts. Listining to their PR speak is useless because
they cannot be trusted.

Symposium: CETS-2001 - Rich Marcello, Vice President and General Manager, Compaq High Performance Systems Division

Post by Jeff Killee » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 11:13:28

Quote:> I doubt that enough details will be available publicly in that time frame.
> would think that a year or two from now would be the time where Compaq
will be
> able to introduce hard facts into the equation such as the types of
systems
> initially available, type of pricing, licencing change policies/costs etc

etc etc.

It appears facts will prove the statement above to be in error - stay tunned
because of the Compaq shutdown in is going to take a few weeks to the
details...

1. Symposium: CETS-2001 content development input

http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseICATReport.pdf
http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseIICATReport.pdf
http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/SpecialDevelopmentTracks.pdf

...or...

http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseICATReport.rtf
http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/CETS2001PhaseIICATReport.rtf
http://www.cets2001.com/privatedocs/SpecialDevelopmentTracks.rtf

The first two reports are the Phase I and Phase II reports being used for
content development.  The 3rd report is the special tracks that are being
developed in addition to and NOT in place of the standard tracks such as
Tru64, OpenVMS, and ProLiant.

Information on CETS-2001 can be found at http://www.CETS2001.com

2. Trouble printing on RISC System/6000

3. Symposium: CETS-2001 Reg Kit in 8.5 x 11 PDF format

4. ROWSCS1: ???

5. Symposium: CETS-2001 Hotels

6. NCSA htppd 1.5 gives Bus Error (core dumped) !!

7. Conference: CETS-2001 Initial Itanum Sessions - more to come

8. Unusual HW question on Creative AWE32 ISA

9. CETS-2001 Presentations

10. Conference: CETS-2001 - Max ROI

11. Conference: CETS-2001 Personal Scheduler - ACT QUICKLY!

12. Conference: CETS-2001 Volunteers Wanted!

13. CETS-2001 Graphics