AdvFS partition for /tmp (tru64 5.0)?

Post by m.. » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Unlike other recent threads, I would like to make /tmp a separate AdvFS
file partition, on a 5.0 system where it is initially set as a symbolic
link (to all that clusters stuff).

Is there any problem doing that? - i.e. deleting the symbolic link, and
mounting a AdvFS partition as /tmp.  (We are not using any clustering,
and will not be doing so).
[Motive for doing so is to avoid /tmp filling up the / partition]

TIA
---
Mark Bergman
Syseca Ltd.
Manchester, UK

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Nick Hil » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Unlike other recent threads, I would like to make /tmp a separate AdvFS
> file partition, on a 5.0 system where it is initially set as a symbolic
> link (to all that clusters stuff).

> Is there any problem doing that? - i.e. deleting the symbolic link, and
> mounting a AdvFS partition as /tmp.  (We are not using any clustering,
> and will not be doing so).
> [Motive for doing so is to avoid /tmp filling up the / partition]

In v5.0 and above you can still just mount an Advfs file system on /tmp
via the fstab file OK. I do that.  I'm not sure about the effect of
deleting the symbolic link.

Nick Hill
ITD SCS Group
Rutherford Appleton Labs

Post by Paul A San » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>Unlike other recent threads, I would like to make /tmp a separate AdvFS
>file partition, on a 5.0 system where it is initially set as a symbolic
>link (to all that clusters stuff).
>Is there any problem doing that? - i.e. deleting the symbolic link, and
>mounting a AdvFS partition as /tmp.  (We are not using any clustering,
>and will not be doing so).
>[Motive for doing so is to avoid /tmp filling up the / partition]

We do that.  Example fstab entry:

    usr_domain#tmp_fs /tmp advfs rw 1 3

You don't need to remove the symlink. Doing so might conceivably
confuse a future upgrade or other Compaq system tools that expect
the "clusters stuff" to be in place.  (I don't know that it would,
but why gamble?)
--
-- Paul A. Sand                 | Minarchist?
-- University of New Hampshire  | The rule of Minnie Mouse?

-- http://pubpages.unh.edu/~pas |

AdvFS partition for /tmp (tru64 5.0)?

Post by Mike Moh » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:59:18

On the same token, is there any way, short of taking the system down to
single user mode, to transfer the file system between domains?  We made the
mistake of declaring the partition as part of the root_domain.  Now, verify
complains that a non-root partition is in the root_domain.

> > Unlike other recent threads, I would like to make /tmp a separate AdvFS
> > file partition, on a 5.0 system where it is initially set as a symbolic
> > link (to all that clusters stuff).

> > Is there any problem doing that? - i.e. deleting the symbolic link, and
> > mounting a AdvFS partition as /tmp.  (We are not using any clustering,
> > and will not be doing so).
> > [Motive for doing so is to avoid /tmp filling up the / partition]

> In v5.0 and above you can still just mount an Advfs file system on /tmp
> via the fstab file OK. I do that.  I'm not sure about the effect of
> deleting the symbolic link.

> Nick Hill
> ITD SCS Group
> Rutherford Appleton Labs

Information Technology Group      === Phone: 64 9 917-9999 x8133
Auckland University of Technology === Fax:   64 9 917-9901
PO Box 92006, Auckland, New Zealand =
http://home.aut.ac.nz/staff/mmohr/
If we have unlimited ability to think, why do we use computers?

1. EMC, TRU64, and ADVFS

Hi all, I'm going to be doing some work soon on a TRU64 server using
Advanced filesystems and has its storage on an EMC frame. The customer
requires a 2nd copy of their data, created using EMC's TimeFinder
software, to be mounted onto the same host. Does anyone know if ADVFS
uses something like disk-ids or domain-ids etc? If so is there a way to
manually change the id before mounting it so there is not two copies of
the same id on the system at one time.

Thanks for your assistance.

Dave

--
Dave Hamilton
Business Enterprise Consulting Pty Ltd

2. Are you a perl guru who wants to be recognized ?

3. Advfs I/O error [5] Tru64 version 4.0D

4. dhcp3-server (ubuntu) over non-default interface only

5. Tru64 V5.1's Advfs using addvol function

6. USB Modem

7. /var/tmp -> /tmp (was: Anything wrong with just two disk partitions?)

8. teac cdrom not recognized during setup

9. /tmp vs /usr/tmp vs /var/tmp

10. Root Partition with advfs

11. NFS: mounting advfs partitions from Digital Unix

12. changing partition AdvFS uses

13. Can't install GNU C on Tru64 5.0