How to manage correctly SCSI HARD DRIVES with blocksize different then 512 bytes?

How to manage correctly SCSI HARD DRIVES with blocksize different then 512 bytes?

Post by Yury Greatsae » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:20:21

TRUE64 Compaq UNIX ver.5.0A system managers and admins!

        Could someone point me the URL which describes HOW IT IS POSSIBLE to adjust SYSTEM (TRUE64
Compaq UNIX ver.5.0A) parameters to manage correctly HARD DRIVES with blocksize different
then 512 bytes?

I wish to use magneto-optical device FUJITSU MCD3130SS with our Alpha. This device shows (to
the TRUE64 Compaq UNIX ver.5.0A system) that the physical sector size is 2048 bytes. But
the system ignores that and counts the device sector size is 512 bytes (default value).

I am almost sure that it is possible to adjust that, because the system uses 2K sector size
for CD-ROM devices, but I don't know HOW. I have tried to put somethings in /etc/ddr.dbase
and compile it and was not lucky.

I have tried to boot from that device and SRM console says:
the sector size of device is not 512.... But sector size of CD-ROM device is the same (2K)
and I could boot from it.

With best wishes
Yury.

1. SCSI-DISK: How to format with 512 byte-Blocksize ?

Hi !

I ran into an interesting problem yesterday:

I got an 'old' 520 MB SCSI-Fujitsu Disk and needed to install that
disk into my SS10-box.
The disk was used befor in an old NeXT-Hardware running NeXTStep.
I did change the jumpers to get SCSI-II and synchronoustransfers
installed the disk, did a boot -r and then called 'format -e'.
I was not able to access the disk, nor could I initiate a low-level
format.

It turned out, that the disk was low-level formated with 1024 byte-blocks,
the SPARC (Solaris 2.5.1) was not able to handle.

Is there a way to reformat such a disk on the SPARC ?

(Ok, we got that solved by using the NeXT to do a low-level-format
with 512 Byte-Blocks and then the disk worked nice in the SPARC.)

Regards, Roland
--

After 5 years of fight, we won against the computingcenter
and got full internet access !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Software Engineer, UNIX, C++, JAVA in LA, San Fran, NY, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago

3. FreeBSD File System 512 byte-blocks --> 1024 byte-blocks

4. Maximum filesystem size currently supported?

5. QIC-02 driver writes 512 bytes/dies

6. Newbie question

7. Why does read truncate at 512 bytes?

8. SMP / Duel CPU Quick Question

9. CD-rom that supports 512 byte and still not able to boot

10. Sol 2.3: CORE allways 512 bytes

11. 512 byte blocks?

12. Support for ISO9660 CDROMS with 512 byte logical blocks?

13. Does TRU-64 support devices with block sizes > 512 bytes/block ?