restricting certain users from loggin in

restricting certain users from loggin in

Post by Joshua Rome » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 00:28:05

I need help writing a script to restrict user logins to specific
userids.  If anyone other than users in the group 'privusr' tries to
login, they get a message saying "SORRY, You are not authorized to
access this system...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Newbie JrSysAdm » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 05:57:26

> I need help writing a script to restrict user logins to specific
> userids.  If anyone other than users in the group 'privusr' tries to
> login, they get a message saying "SORRY, You are not authorized to
> access this system...

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i apologize, but i'm trying to figure out how silly this post is.

why don't you simply remove invalid users from the system? (ie, delete
their entries from /etc/passwd)

if you want to "keep them around" but not permit logins for now, then
change their attribute to "no password- setuid only"

Post by Emma » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:58:51

> I need help writing a script to restrict user logins to specific
> userids.  If anyone other than users in the group 'privusr' tries to
> login, they get a message saying "SORRY, You are not authorized to
> access this system...

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could modify /etc/profile, or /etc/csh.login to check for 'privusr'
membership (e.g. using the "groups" command).

Emma

Post by Emma » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:02:54

> > I need help writing a script to restrict user logins to specific
> > userids.  If anyone other than users in the group 'privusr' tries to
> > login, they get a message saying "SORRY, You are not authorized to
> > access this system...

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> i apologize, but i'm trying to figure out how silly this post is.

Maybe the administrator wants to prevent non-'privusr' users from logging in at specific times, e.g. during
month-end closings.  It'd be rather cumbersome to remove and later re-add or to modify all your other user
accounts.

Emma

Post by Joshua Rome » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:52:27

> > I need help writing a script to restrict user logins to specific
> > userids.  If anyone other than users in the group 'privusr' tries to
> > login, they get a message saying "SORRY, You are not authorized to
> > access this system...

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> i apologize, but i'm trying to figure out how silly this post is.

> why don't you simply remove invalid users from the system? (ie, delete
> their entries from /etc/passwd)

> if you want to "keep them around" but not permit logins for now, then
> change their attribute to "no password- setuid only"

Sorry. I guess i did not make myself clear.  I cannot delete users
because they still need access through a 3rd-party program (which by
the way uses the /etc/passwd to check access.)  But I've figured it
out now.  I modifyed the /etc/profile and now prevents non -privusr's
from loggin in to the terminal.  But still lets them log in through
NT.

Post by Joshua Rome » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 00:53:58

> > I need help writing a script to restrict user logins to specific
> > userids.  If anyone other than users in the group 'privusr' tries to
> > login, they get a message saying "SORRY, You are not authorized to
> > access this system...

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> You could modify /etc/profile, or /etc/csh.login to check for 'privusr'
> membership (e.g. using the "groups" command).

> Emma

Thanks Emma!  That's exactly what I did.  Fortunately I figured it out myself.

1. SSH how to restrict remote access to certain domains or certain users ?

hi :)

i'd like to enable remote access via ssh to my private computer on the
internet.
(so far my firewall prohibits any access)

yet, i want to restrickt access to certain domains or certain users!

how do i configure that? sorry, i am fairly new to linux (suse 7.0)

do i have to add some statements to the files /etc/hosts.allow or
/etc/hosts.deny?
if yes, please tell me which statements to add :)

thank your very much for your help

cu
ingo

you may answer in english or german :-)

2. MCC Interim Release

3. Q: restricting user from logging in certain tty's

4. routing table and intranet packets

5. How to restrict hosts for certain users?

6. NFS bugs

7. How do I restrict SSH to certain users

8. Where and what?

9. How do I restrict site users acces to certain folders

10. userdir restricted to certain users- want to split one server into 2 seperate servers

11. Restrict ftp user to certain directory tree?

12. restricting certain user from accessing the web (port 80)

13. Restricting Some Users from Certain Domains