Shared memory region - too many open files

Post by Gerhard Stegeman » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 22:12:37

> > My current conclusion is, that one of the many system or kernel
> > parameters has a wrong setting. But which parameter controls this?
> > What parameter(s) have to be tweaked to prevent this error?
> Check for shm-seg ( see man sys_attrs_ipc) in the ipc parameter
> subset. The default value is 32 (max number of process attached
> shared mem regions)

May have ssm-threshold also an effect on this?

May proc:max-open-soft or max-open-hard limit the maximum no.
of attached shared memory segments on a per process basis?

--
Gerhard Stegemann

1. Shared memory region - too many open files

I have an application running under Tru64 V4.0F which issues under some situation this
error message:

KER: shmat() in get_segs: Too many open files
shared memory id = 188, errno = 24

Checking the cause for this error I have found the following:

errno = 24 -> /sys/include/sys/errno.h -> EMFILE - Too many open files

man shmat -> Return values -> [EMFILE] An attempt to attach a shared memory region
exceeded the maximum number of attached regions allowed for any one process.

My current conclusion is, that one of the many system or kernel parameters has a wrong
setting. But which parameter controls this? What parameter(s) have to be tweaked to
prevent this error?

--
Gerhard Stegemann

2. Automated Software testing tool with support for Linux...

3. What memory regions are being shared?

4. Designated System Users Licenses ...

5. Too Many Files Open Error During Shared Memory Attach

6. Emergency boot diskette

7. mmap two PCI memory regions with one device file ?

8. LOG FILE ERROR: IO Timeout error

9. Shared Memory,Memory mapped files and Threads

10. Solaris 10: Increasing the process data space; shared memory segments & intimate shared memory problems

11. Shared memory, memory mapped files and threads

12. Can't open shared file object (libXmu.so.6) No such file or directory