Alphastation 255

Post by andy thoma » Wed, 23 May 2001 18:34:26

Does anyone know what the halt codes on a 233MHz Alphastation 255 mean?
We have one of tehse systems with 32 MB memory and every so often it will
come up with an error message and shut down (or come up with the error
message when it is deliberately shut down).

When deliberately shut down with the 'shutdown -h' now command, the
message is:

        CPU 0: Halting... (transferring to monitor)

        CP - SAVE_TERM routine to be called
        CP - SAVE_TERM exited with hlt_req = 1, r0 = 00000005.00000000

        halted CPU 0

        halt code = 5

        HALT instruction execusted

When it spontaneously shuts down (crashes), the halt code is usually 7 and
these is a message about it being in PAL mode.

A separate question: I have obtained a 128 MB memory upgrade for this
system, which consists of 4 x 32 MB 72-pin SIMMs. The existing memory
consists of 4 x 8 MB SIMMS in bank 0. When I take the existing 32 MB
memory out, where should I put the 4 new SIMMs? Should all 4 SIMMs in
the upgrade go into bank 0 or should some go into bank 1?

Andy

Alphastation 255

Post by Stuart R. Fulle » Wed, 23 May 2001 21:38:56

: Does anyone know what the halt codes on a 233MHz Alphastation 255 mean?
: We have one of tehse systems with 32 MB memory and every so often it will
: come up with an error message and shut down (or come up with the error
: message when it is deliberately shut down).

: When deliberately shut down with the 'shutdown -h' now command, the
: message is:

:       CPU 0: Halting... (transferring to monitor)

:       CP - SAVE_TERM routine to be called
:       CP - SAVE_TERM exited with hlt_req = 1, r0 = 00000005.00000000

:       halted CPU 0

:       halt code = 5

:       HALT instruction execusted

: When it spontaneously shuts down (crashes), the halt code is usually 7 and
: these is a message about it being in PAL mode.

Halt code 5 means "HALT instruction executed".  Halt code 7 is a message about
it being in PAL mode.  An exact posting of the message you see would help.

Generally, the meaning of the halt codes is on the next line printed out.

        Stu

Alphastation 255

Post by Adam Pric » Thu, 24 May 2001 01:54:02

> A separate question: I have obtained a 128 MB memory upgrade for this
> system, which consists of 4 x 32 MB 72-pin SIMMs. The existing memory
> consists of 4 x 8 MB SIMMS in bank 0. When I take the existing 32 MB
> memory out, where should I put the 4 new SIMMs? Should all 4 SIMMs in
> the upgrade go into bank 0 or should some go into bank 1?

Someone else has talked about the halt codes, but re the upgrade, why
remove the old memory at all? If all that you have is 4 SIMMS and you
have 8 Slots, then put the 4 SIMMS in the 4 vacant Slots and run with
160Mb.
Adam

Alphastation 255

Post by Tony Verhuls » Thu, 24 May 2001 04:13:55

> Does anyone know what the halt codes on a 233MHz Alphastation 255 mean?
> We have one of tehse systems with 32 MB memory and every so often it will
> come up with an error message and shut down (or come up with the error
> message when it is deliberately shut down).

> When deliberately shut down with the 'shutdown -h' now command, the
> message is:

>         CPU 0: Halting... (transferring to monitor)

>         CP - SAVE_TERM routine to be called
>         CP - SAVE_TERM exited with hlt_req = 1, r0 = 00000005.00000000

>         halted CPU 0

>         halt code = 5

>         HALT instruction execusted

> When it spontaneously shuts down (crashes), the halt code is usually 7 and
> these is a message about it being in PAL mode.

Halt codes
-----------
0       Bootstrap, processor fail, or powerfail restart
1       Console operator requested a systen crash
2       Processor halted due to kernel-stack not-valid halt
3       Invalid SCBB
4       Invalid PTBR            (page table base register)
5       Processor executed PAL_halt instruction in kernel mode
6       Double error abort encountered
7       Machine check while in PAL_code environment
8-FFF   Reserved

Tony V.

Alphastation 255

Post by andy thoma » Thu, 24 May 2001 16:52:28

> : Does anyone know what the halt codes on a 233MHz Alphastation 255 mean?
> : We have one of tehse systems with 32 MB memory and every so often it will
> : come up with an error message and shut down (or come up with the error
> : message when it is deliberately shut down).

> : When deliberately shut down with the 'shutdown -h' now command, the
> : message is:

> :  CPU 0: Halting... (transferring to monitor)

> :  CP - SAVE_TERM routine to be called
> :  CP - SAVE_TERM exited with hlt_req = 1, r0 = 00000005.00000000

> :  halted CPU 0

> :  halt code = 5

> :  HALT instruction execusted

> : When it spontaneously shuts down (crashes), the halt code is usually 7 and
> : these is a message about it being in PAL mode.

> Halt code 5 means "HALT instruction executed".  Halt code 7 is a message about
> it being in PAL mode.  An exact posting of the message you see would help.

> Generally, the meaning of the halt codes is on the next line printed out.

Yes, halt code 7 is followed by the message:

        Machine check while in PAL_code environment

The machine was originally reported as being "unstable" and a lot of it
was due to there being no free disk space on its 1 GB disk, so DU couldn't
write to /var/adm and /tmp, for example. This was fixed by adding another
disk and I added more memory while I was about it but then I started
getting these error messages. So I put the old 32 MB memory back but still
got the errors.

I think I've now found the cause of the problem - the CPU fan isn't
running and the CPU heatsink gets very hot indeed! It's a standard 92 mm
unit and I've ordered a replacement. Hopefully this is all that's wrong
with the system.

cheers,

Andy