X Configuration higher-resolution and more colours how?

X Configuration higher-resolution and more colours how?

Post by Raymond Doetje » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

I'm trying to configure the XServer to produce some higher-resolution
and some more colours.
But I can't seem to get my Matrox or S3 VIRGE DX or ATI-RAGE to produce
at least 1024x768 with 16bits colours.

I have found one file called Xconfig but the system complains that it
cannot excute that file (infact it is a link but the rights are okay).

Can anyone help me please!

Please email the messages also to me (address listed in SMTP/NNTP header
is in order)

Raymond
http://www.phonax.com

X Configuration higher-resolution and more colours how?

Post by Larry Gens » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi there,

> I'm trying to configure the XServer to produce some higher-resolution
> and some more colours.
> But I can't seem to get my Matrox or S3 VIRGE DX or ATI-RAGE to produce
> at least 1024x768 with 16bits colours.

This works if you have another workstation to use for logging into
your Tru64 system.

Telnet to the Tru64 system and, as root, edit the file:

    /usr/dt/config/Xservers

Change the last line, which should be something like:

and add the options to the X server to default to the desired size and
screen depth:

Next, send a SIGHUP to the dtlogin process (use `ps' to find it, and
`kill -1' to send it a SIGHUP).  This will tell dtlogin to re-read its
configuration files.

Next, find the X process, and sent it a SIGTERM (use `ps' again to
find it, and `kill -15' to send it a SIGTERM).  This will force the X
console to exit, and dtlogin will restart X with the new options.

If your server supports the options you put in the configuration file,
then all should be fine.  Login on the console, and then run
`xdpyinfo' to make sure that you are running the proper screen
resolution and depth.

If you server doesn't support the new fields, you will probably notice
dtlogin constantly resetting the screen.  THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD STILL
HAVE THAT TELNET SESSION FROM THE OTHER COMPUTER RUNNING!  Simply
change the line back and send SIGHUP to dtlogin again.

If you were unsuccessful, then look at `man Xdec' -- specifically at
the section about frame buffer handlers and /usr/var/X11/Xserver.conf.

Quote:> I have found one file called Xconfig but the system complains that it
> cannot excute that file (infact it is a link but the rights are okay).

> Can anyone help me please!

> Please email the messages also to me (address listed in SMTP/NNTP header
> is in order)

Xconfig is NOT executed.  It is supposed to be read by the X server
when it starts.  Just restart your X server and your changes should
work.

--

Compaq Computer Corporation                        As usual, the standard
110 Spit Brook Road ZKO3-2/W17                     disclaimers apply, etc.

1. Q: Higher resolution timer/scheduling

Hi.

  The following question concerns the DDI on Solaris 2.6
or higher on Sparcs...

Is it possible to create a timer-based handler function
(in kernel mode) with a higher resolution that 10ms?
Specifying a value less than 10ms in "qtimeout(9F)" does not work.
It still uses 10ms, which probably is the highest possible resolution
qtimeout(9F) can handle.

Sincerely
Amos

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Where's my PPP?

3. X and resolution higher than 640x480 ??????

4. Seyon, how to use 'idleGuard' etc.

5. Higher resolution problems

6. timing HP-UX processes question

7. Higher resolution with MS Windows than with Linux

8. ls and file names with spaces

9. how to get higher resolution redhat 7

10. Chips & Technologies 69030 and Higher Resolution

11. Higher Resolution Needed?

12. how to configure Xserver for higher resolution

13. no sound or network, need higher resolution