Uninterruptible sleeping process

Post by Tapas Ka » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 05:19:15

Hi Gurus,
(TrueUnix4.0F question)
Submitted jobs go to Uninterruptible sleeping process. vmstate shows 98%
idle.
(The system was working fine before). What's wrong and how to make those
jobs
running properly?
Thanks
Tapas

"We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without
which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made."
                                           - Albert Einstein -
Tapas Kar, Ph. D
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Utah State University
Logan, UT 84322-0300

Tel: 435-797-7230
Fax: 435-797-3390

Uninterruptible sleeping process

Post by Alan Rollow - Dr. File System's Home for Wayward Inode » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:35:33

>Hi Gurus,
>(TrueUnix4.0F question)
>Submitted jobs go to Uninterruptible sleeping process. vmstate shows 98%
>idle.
>(The system was working fine before).

Before what?  What changed since it was working correctly.

Quote:>What's wrong and how to make those jobs running properly?

The processes are waiting on some resource that isn't
available.  For whatever reason the driver or kernel
code for the particular resource doesn't want the
process to be able to interrupt the wait, probably
because it complicates cleaning up if the resource
ever does become avaialble.

The typical resource is I/O, sometimes due to a NFS
server being down and the particular NFS file system
being hard mounted.  There is an NFS option to make
the waits interruptable, but I don't know if it is
the default.

Using the ps(1) with the 'l' option (not -l), might offer
a clue since this will print the wait channel.  If the
command, it will translate the address to the more meaningful
name.

Quote:>Thanks

--

1. Uninterruptible sleep Process

after trying to make an "insmod ppa" with an error (port already in use
or somethink like that) i look my processes with "ps -aux" and i find an
old "insmod ppa" (i do it every day at midnight) but the STAT was "D"
with man ps : it is an 'uninterruptible sleep' process
effectivly i can't stop it (with kill -9 pid or -SIGKILL or all the kill
possible)
i stoped this processe with shutdown -r now
now my questions are

what is a "uninterruptible sleep"?
how can i stop this sort of process?

thank you in advance

        Fabrice

2. Getting W2K to access the internet thru Linux

3. How to kill a uninterruptible sleep process

4. Intel D845GEBV2/Linux incompatibility?

5. Uninterruptible sleep Process and Reboot

6. test

7. How to "kill" uninterruptible sleeping process?

8. How do I mount an audio CD?

9. Uninterruptible sleeping process

10. Killing a process in "uninterruptible sleep"

11. killing processes in an uninterruptible sleep

12. Process in "uninterruptible sleep"?

13. Process falls into uninterruptible sleep