Compaq Tru64 now officially HP Tru64?

Post by andy thoma » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 19:13:53

Just had the following message in...

Quote:> Subject: Tru64 UNIX Tru64 v4.0F PK7 BL18 ECO Summary

> New Kit Date:       08-OCT-2002
> Modification Date:  Not Applicable
> Modification Type:  NEW KIT

> Copyright (c) Hewlett-Packard Company 2002.  All rights reserved.

> PRODUCT:    Tru64 UNIX [R] 4.0F
> SOURCE:     Hewlett-Packard Company

<stuff deleted>
.
.
.

Quote:> ECO KIT SUMMARY:

> A dupatch-based, Early Release Patch kit exists for Tru64 UNIX 4.0F that
> contains solutions to the following problem(s):

> A potential security vulnerability has been discovered in the HP Tru64
> UNIX operating system

So it really is known as HP Tru64 now, is it?

Andy

Compaq Tru64 now officially HP Tru64?

Post by Ian Cairn » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 09:59:57

What does "uname -a" show? That's normally a good indication.

Quote:> Just had the following message in...

Post by David Butenho » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 02:08:42

>> So it really is known as HP Tru64 now, is it?
> What does "uname -a" show? That's normally a good indication.

Actually, no, it's not. The uname output is part of the published API for
the system, and changing it is "tricky" -- it can break existing customer
code.

For example, Tru64 UNIX 5.1B is still "OSF1", and Solaris 9 is still
"SunOS".

Changing the marketing name is easy. Changing the uname is a whole different
story.

On Tru64, the marketing name is revealed by "/usr/sbin/sizer -v". When the
formal marketing name is changed from "Compaq Tru64 UNIX" to "HP Tru64
UNIX", that's what sizer -v will say. I wouldn't be surprised if "casual
documentation" like the quoted announcement might change earlier than the
actual code. (And I haven't run that patch, so I don't know what the
outcome of a test might be.)

--

| Hewlett-Packard Company       Tru64 UNIX & VMS Thread Architect |
|     My book: http://www.awl.com/cseng/titles/0-201-63392-2/     |

1. Tru64 Unix 4.0x and HP/Compaq's EVA....

Does anyone have experience with getting the Enterprise Virtual Array
SAN product from HP/Compaq to work with version 4.0F of the Tru64
Operating System?

We're thinking about such a SAN product, but would like to
use it with 4.0x systems (in particular 4.0F, application issues), and
the
HP StorageWorks SAN design document suggests it may not be
"supported"; what I want to know is does it work.....

Thanks in advance.

Oisin McGuinness
SMBC Capital Markets
277 Park Avenue
New York NY 10172
USA

2. Sendmail MC file?

3. porting from HP-UX 11 to Compaq tru64 v5.1a

4. Sound Card Recognition

5. Migration Tru64 4.0D to Tru64 5.1

6. child pid 11819 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

7. Tru64 documentations (e.g. docs.hp.com can HP-UX many PDF documentations)

8. Weird scsi-bootup problem

9. tru64 Unix (compaq) connect to token ring ...

10. remote backup of Compaq Tru64 systems

11. Differences between gcc on linux and Compaq Tru64

12. Problems loggingout with kde2 & compaq tru64 machine

13. RADIUS client for Compaq Tru64 UNIX?