Setting auto negotiate on for tu0

Post by andy thoma » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 05:07:52

Does anyone know the SRM command to enable auto negotiation for the ewa0
(tu0) ethernet interface on a PWS 500au?

All of our 500au's are on a 100baseTX network but the SRM monitor and boot
messages on most of them report "auto negotiation off, 10baseT, half
duplex". Some of them report "auto negotiate, 100baseTX, full duplex"
however.

There doesn't seem to be any option in the SRM to either enable auto
negotiation or to force a particular speed/protocol.

Andy

:
: All of our 500au's are on a 100baseTX network but the SRM monitor and boot
: messages on most of them report "auto negotiation off, 10baseT, half
: duplex". Some of them report "auto negotiate, 100baseTX, full duplex"
: however.
:
: There doesn't seem to be any option in the SRM to either enable auto
: negotiation or to force a particular speed/protocol.

        >>> set ewa0_mode some-invalid-mode

It'll complain about the invalid mode, then tell you the valid modes.  To
answer the question you asked, it'd be:

        >>> set ewa0_mode auto

        Stu

Setting auto negotiate on for tu0

Post by David Schmit » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 11:31:25

Look at the SRM "set" command and the ew*0 SRM environment vars. A "set
ewa0_mode FastFD" sets the adapter to forced 100/full-duplex mode. I've
found that the Tulip adapters have problems auto-negotiating with Cisco
Catalyst 2900 switches for some reason...

Dave Schmitt

Quote:> Does anyone know the SRM command to enable auto negotiation for the ewa0

Post by andy thoma » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 20:01:08

> : Does anyone know the SRM command to enable auto negotiation for the ewa0
> : (tu0) ethernet interface on a PWS 500au?
> :
> : All of our 500au's are on a 100baseTX network but the SRM monitor and boot
> : messages on most of them report "auto negotiation off, 10baseT, half
> : duplex". Some of them report "auto negotiate, 100baseTX, full duplex"
> : however.
> :
> : There doesn't seem to be any option in the SRM to either enable auto
> : negotiation or to force a particular speed/protocol.

>         >>> set ewa0_mode some-invalid-mode

> It'll complain about the invalid mode, then tell you the valid modes.  To
> answer the question you asked, it'd be:

>         >>> set ewa0_mode auto

If I do this, I get the message:

        Auto Negotiate not supported. Change mode to Twisted Pair.

If instead I try:

        >>> set ewa0_mode FastFD

the SRM seems to accept this withgout complaint but during boot, I get the
following message repeated several times, and it also appears after boot:

        tu0: no SROM info for selected media

During boot, I do see a message saying that tu0 is auto-negotiate capable
but auto negotiation is off.

It seems to me that the SROM is missing (is it something like a boot PROM
on the tu0 board?) of if it's the SRM NVRAM, then some info about the
current tu0 setting isn't being saved perhaps?

These systems are running DU4.0D - I assume this supports 100BaseTX?

Andy

Post by Tomasz G?sk » Sat, 23 Dec 2000 21:20:05

> >         >>> set ewa0_mode auto

> If I do this, I get the message:

>         Auto Negotiate not supported. Change mode to Twisted Pair.

> If instead I try:

>         >>> set ewa0_mode FastFD

> the SRM seems to accept this withgout complaint but during boot, I get the
> following message repeated several times, and it also appears after boot:

>         tu0: no SROM info for selected media

> During boot, I do see a message saying that tu0 is auto-negotiate capable
> but auto negotiation is off.

    Are You sure that your nic is 100TX capable. Most of Digital nics are on
tulip chipset, but not all supports 100TX. If your adapter have BNC and/or AUI
output, that in most cases 100TX is not supported. Get your nic part number
(something like DE500AA) and check in documentation.

Quote:> It seems to me that the SROM is missing (is it something like a boot PROM
> on the tu0 board?) of if it's the SRM NVRAM, then some info about the
> current tu0 setting isn't being saved perhaps?

    There are some SRM varaibles controling booting from etherne, AFIK no bootrom
is needed (but im not sure about workstations).

Quote:> These systems are running DU4.0D - I assume this supports 100BaseTX?

    In most cases system version have nothing to it (except proper patch level,
but last problems was about 3.2G).

    Merry Christmas!

    Tomasz Gska

Setting auto negotiate on for tu0

Post by Stuart R. Full » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 08:10:04

:
:

:

: > : Does anyone know the SRM command to enable auto negotiation for the ewa0
: > : (tu0) ethernet interface on a PWS 500au?
: > :
: > : All of our 500au's are on a 100baseTX network but the SRM monitor and boot
: > : messages on most of them report "auto negotiation off, 10baseT, half
: > : duplex". Some of them report "auto negotiate, 100baseTX, full duplex"
: > : however.
: > :
: > : There doesn't seem to be any option in the SRM to either enable auto
: > : negotiation or to force a particular speed/protocol.
: >
[...]

You don't have a genuine DE500 controller.  So, the console is not able to
configure it.

Maybe look at the man page for ifconfig(8).  It takes a "speed" parameter to
set the interface speed and duplex.

        Stu

Setting auto negotiate on for tu0

Post by Bruno KRIN » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 02:24:54

I had also some trouble with autonegociation (with Nortel switches). The Firmware
revision  7.2 addresses an autonegociation problem with Ethernet 21143 controllers.
Since I have made the upgrade, I have no more trouble.

B. Kriner

>Look at the SRM "set" command and the ew*0 SRM environment vars. A "set
>ewa0_mode FastFD" sets the adapter to forced 100/full-duplex mode. I've
>found that the Tulip adapters have problems auto-negotiating with Cisco
>Catalyst 2900 switches for some reason...

>Dave Schmitt

>> Does anyone know the SRM command to enable auto negotiation for the ewa0
>> (tu0) ethernet interface on a PWS 500au?

>> All of our 500au's are on a 100baseTX network but the SRM monitor and boot
>> messages on most of them report "auto negotiation off, 10baseT, half
>> duplex". Some of them report "auto negotiate, 100baseTX, full duplex"
>> however.

>> There doesn't seem to be any option in the SRM to either enable auto
>> negotiation or to force a particular speed/protocol.

>> Andy

---
B. Kriner
Centre d'Etudes de la Navigation Arienne (CENA)
 7,Av. Edouard Belin BP4005 31055 Toulouse Cedex
Tel: (33) (0)5 62 25 95 40      Fax: (33) (0)5 62 25 95 99

1. Setting NIC speed instead of auto-negotiating

I have a RH8 box set up on a network that serves at 10MB full.  The
throughput is horrible, and I think this is a NIC setting issue.

I had to hard code the setting on the Sun box on the same segiment
with an "ndd" command to the driver and have this run as a start
script.

Is there a similar setting that will resolve this problem with the
Linux box?

TIA,

Joe

2. A few questions about Fvwm95

3. tu0 auto-negociation

4. Samba & Win98

5. PCnet auto-negotiating pci card?

6. Linux themes

7. 3c905C Tornado not auto-negotiating 100baseTx

8. Can the IP address on ppp0 & eth0 be the same?

9. how to force tulip to NOT auto-negotiate?

10. problem w/ auto negotiate & ns83820 & netgear fsm726s switch

11. nis, nfs, autofs: auto.master, auto.misc, auto.home help please

12. How can I auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?

13. How to auto-reboot a SUN, then auto-login, then auto-start a program?