cloning, device name

Post by Lukasz Tylutk » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:45:47

Hi,

We've got Tru64 5.1B with HSG80, ACS 8.6F. We are using cloning
mechanism for backup purposes (3 clones each for other stage of work).
We have one problem, after creating a new clone (new unit with the same
number for instance D106) we are gettin each time new disk number
(/dev/disk/dskxx). The unit number is the same as an identifier. Anybody
knows the reason (new WWID number???) or the way to get the same disk
number (I know the commands hwmgr -clean, hwmgr refresh etc. ).

Best regards:
                TYlut
--
Lukasz Tylutki, Gdynia, Poland

cloning, device name

Post by Brun » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:58:55

Hi,

This is effectively due to a new WWID provided to the new clone or
snapshot unit. The only way to prevent this is to move to ACS8.7 that
provides news commands for snap and clones.

Please have a look to:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/acs/index.html

Hope this helps.
Bruno

> Hi,

> We've got Tru64 5.1B with HSG80, ACS 8.6F. We are using cloning
> mechanism for backup purposes (3 clones each for other stage of work).
> We have one problem, after creating a new clone (new unit with the same
> number for instance D106) we are gettin each time new disk number
> (/dev/disk/dskxx). The unit number is the same as an identifier. Anybody
> knows the reason (new WWID number???) or the way to get the same disk
> number (I know the commands hwmgr -clean, hwmgr refresh etc. ).

> Best regards:
>            TYlut

1. Cloning device driver with extended minor device numbers

Subject: Cloning device driver with extended minor device numbers
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 11:05:43 -0400 (EDT)

I am struggling trying to produce a cloning device driver
that uses extended minor device numbers. My reading of
the documentation suggests that to use extended minor
device numbers, I should only need to ensure that
COMPAT322 is #undefined when compiling the driver.
I have searched the AHDK CD for guidance to no avail.

However, when the driver so produced causes an eventual
"out of streams" error, and investigation shows that the
internal kernel routine xdevtodev is returning -1 whenever it
is passed a minor device number > 254.

Do I also need to have a line in mdevice with the "M"
characteristic, as mentioned but not clearly explained in
"man mdevice"? If so, how do I associate this line with my
driver, and what should the other fields look like?

In fact, can anyone send me a sample of a driver, makefile,
mdevice entry, etc. that will show how to do this.
----

Micros Systems Inc.             Tel: +1 301 210 8000 x2303
12000 Baltimore Ave.            Fax: +1 301 210 6699
Beltsville, MD 20705-1291
----

Micros Systems Inc.             Tel: +1 301 210 8000 x2303
12000 Baltimore Ave.            Fax: +1 301 210 6699
Beltsville, MD 20705-1291

2. WANTED: Busmouse Information for HOWTO

3. Translating device name to readable name

4. VOP_FSYNC() in 2.3

5. How to map network device names to module names?

6. QMAGIC

7. Bluez on familiar arm-linux (ipaq 3870), cannot get class name and device name

8. test news/spool *Ignore*

9. How to map device name to module name?

10. How to inteprete device name for scsi devices.

11. Removeable devices How to force device name ?

12. Device name for console devices?

13. mapping device name and minor device number