java print problem

Post by Herb Burnswe » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 09:37:55

Hi,

I have a java application that has a problem printing to our HP2100TN
from Tru64 v5.1a.  I have no problems printing on this machine at any
other time, it is only when I try to print from the java app.  I
receive "No print service found" even though lpd is running and I can
print otherwise.  The java is built with version:

java version "1.4.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
Fast VM (build 1.4.1-1, native threads, mixed mode, 02/26/2003-14:52)

This same application has no problems printing to the 2100 from IRIX
6.5, HPUX 11.00, Redhat 7.2, or Solaris 8.  The printcap on the v5.1a
machine is:

  lp|lp0|0|hq2100:\
        :ct=tcp:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lp0err:\

        :mx#0:\
        :if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Chplj4mplus.pcf:\
        :of=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Chplj4mplus.pcf:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#80:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd0:\
        :xf=/usr/lbin/xf:

and I have

hpjd      9100/tcp

defined in /etc/services.  Has anyone seen such behavior?  Is there
something that I am doing wrong here?  Any assistance is greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Herb

In the systems being developed here, everything is coded in Java. There
are about 100 Java applications each running its own virtual machine.

I'm supposed to work with test and performance analysis of these systems
and I'm using tools that log system behaviour on process level.

The problem is that all I see is 100 processes named Java with some
small variations in command line parameters.

Is there a safe way to alter the process names either at startup or at
runtime ?
What could be the consequences of doing such a thing ?

//Hans Hagberg

2. Removing the "X-sender" from sent mail headers

3. java/50729: java/jdk14: broken java.net.NetworkInterface calls

4. FVWM2 Styling Help

5. RedHat OSF/MOTIF 2.0 for the Linux OS

6. java/47447: linux-sun-jdk1.4.1: java command can't find java.lang.Object

7. RIP: Please Help me with Xwindows!!

8. problem running Java Applets on linux - threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread ????

9. IBM JAVA problem panic: CL: Can't find class java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError IOT

10. Pretty printing C, C++, shell and JAVA txt

11. problem with print to Netware print queue

12. PROBLEM PRINTING ASCII (can print postscript though)