performance

Post by web_d » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 00:52:07

I'm new to tru64 and have a server that periodically gets very
sluggish.  What kinds of things can I look at to see if I can find the
culprit?

    Norm

performance

Post by scriptOmati » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 03:28:55

> I'm new to tru64 and have a server that periodically gets very
> sluggish.  What kinds of things can I look at to see if I can find the
> culprit?

>     Norm

Norm,
You might find opensysmon useful, you create your own shell scripts to
monitor
any thing you like and just plugin them in.  It is opensource, see
below.

--
http://ftp.opensysmon.com is a shell script archive site with an
open source system monitoring and network monitoring software package.

performance

Post by Gran » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:50:50

Quote:> I'm new to tru64 and have a server that periodically gets very
> sluggish.  What kinds of things can I look at to see if I can find the
> culprit?

>     Norm

Depening on the version, you may have a great tool right on the machine to
tell you. I think it came out in v4.0d pk3, and I know it is on 4.0f by
default. If not, you can always download it, I don't know the weblink.

Basically, you can just run it with the "-perf" flag, which spits out all
the performance information, Though the full run(no flags) may be fun to
look at the first time.

To run, if installed, simply do

/usr/sbin/sys_check -perf > output.html

It spits the output to stdout which is all in html, so then look at it in
your favorite tool! It even puts nice links to Digital's website for more
information on each thing.(yes I still call them Digital, HP or Compaq is
just too scary)

It will recommend a number of settings you can choose, Tru64, or at least
still up to 4.0f always defaulted many settings to "poor choices" for
modern day machines with lots of ram.

Some of the settings may require a kernel rebuild. Use this as an
opertunity to strip out elements of in the kernel that you don't use(DECnet
is usually in there by default, and we never use it).

-grant

performance

Post by Giovanni Carami » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 23:54:44

> To run, if installed, simply do

> /usr/sbin/sys_check -perf > output.html

Running sys_check -perf I had this result:

Run on Sat Apr 26 11:11:08 CEST 2003 Script sys_check Version: 130.0
/vmunix is the current running kernel
Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1B (Rev. 2650); Tue Apr 22 15:20:50 CEST 2003

System Type: hp AlphaServer ES47 7/1000 ALPHAMARVEL
Number of CPUs: 2

CPU              0                           1
Type             EV7 (21364)                 EV7 (21364)
Speed (Mhz)      1000                        1000

Cache: 0 MB ( 1 MB) Memory size: 2048 MB
Only Performance Included
Warnings Header Excluded

As you can see there is no cache. What I can do? Is this the reason why
this ES47 is slower then a ds20 whith a 667Mhz alpha CPU?
Thanks in advance,
Giovanni

performance

Post by non » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:10:28

The best things to use are vmstat, iostat and sar (this sometimes need
to be optionally installed from the ESVFBIN100 (extended system V kit),
sar gets all information with 1 tool and presents it in a usefull
fashion and ofcourse downloading top which is also very very helpfull.

Then you will start monitoring and look at the values when the system is
running fine and is sluggish.

Thinkgs to look at are:
-Too many openfiles (additional open source lsof can help here)
-IO (disk, network)
-CPU (usage and idle)
-Memory (swapping, free memory available)

Usualy when the system gets sporadically slow than usually it's either a
reached limit of open files (be aware that their is a system limit of
openfiles and user limit, when you reach the use limit than no alerts
will be shown in your logs). Or an IO bottleneck, a lot of swapping can
slow down your disk, all other processes and threads that also need to
access the disk will have to wait. This can only be solved by creating
more IO paths (extra disks and controllers). Open files are solved by
increasing them with sysconfig (see my site http://www.phonax.com
specially aimed on internet networking performance). Both these examples
present themselves as a high load (>1.0) but CPU mostly IDLE >94%.
Simply because the processes are waiting for resources to become
available, thats why the load is low.

Raymond

> I'm new to tru64 and have a server that periodically gets very
> sluggish.  What kinds of things can I look at to see if I can find the
> culprit?

>     Norm

performance

Post by scriptOmati » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:06:14

> The best things to use are vmstat, iostat and sar (this sometimes need
> to be optionally installed from the ESVFBIN100 (extended system V kit),
> sar gets all information with 1 tool and presents it in a usefull
> fashion and ofcourse downloading top which is also very very helpfull.

> Then you will start monitoring and look at the values when the system is
> running fine and is sluggish.

> Thinkgs to look at are:
> -Too many openfiles (additional open source lsof can help here)
> -IO (disk, network)
> -CPU (usage and idle)
> -Memory (swapping, free memory available)

> Usualy when the system gets sporadically slow than usually it's either a
> reached limit of open files (be aware that their is a system limit of
> openfiles and user limit, when you reach the use limit than no alerts
> will be shown in your logs). Or an IO bottleneck, a lot of swapping can
> slow down your disk, all other processes and threads that also need to
> access the disk will have to wait. This can only be solved by creating
> more IO paths (extra disks and controllers). Open files are solved by
> increasing them with sysconfig (see my site http://www.phonax.com
> specially aimed on internet networking performance). Both these examples
> present themselves as a high load (>1.0) but CPU mostly IDLE >94%.
> Simply because the processes are waiting for resources to become
> available, thats why the load is low.

> Raymond

> > I'm new to tru64 and have a server that periodically gets very
> > sluggish.  What kinds of things can I look at to see if I can find the
> > culprit?

> >     Norm

FYI:
As per my previous reply to this thread, you can use OSM to put
a nice html inteface onto the output
of vmstat, iostat, sar, etc.

If you would like pointers on how send me email.

--
http://ftp.opensysmon.com is a shell script archive site with an
open source system monitoring and network monitoring software package.
Many platforms are supplied already compiled.

1. X-Performance = Ram ?, report YOUR performance after upgrade.

I run a 486DX4-100mhz, 256kb cache, 8mb ram, 540 mb harddisk 13ms,
with linux...and I would really like to know _how_ strongly preformance
depends on the amount of ram...if it's really worth it to put money on lots
of ram ?
I think primarly on the performance in X-windows...
Or maybe it's better to buy a faster harddisk for those money ?

Please don't post things like "get 36 megs and you'll be happy",
that's not my point anyway...the question is when the increase in performance
is greatest at say an addition of 4 mb..and _how_ big difference it is...
so maybe we could get a neat list of reports for reference for different
machines...then anyone can judge for themselves wether it's worth the
money or not ?

Suppose I upgrade to 12mb, roughly how much faster will X go ?
..or if I uppgrade to 16 mb or 20mb ? is it like the difference
between 8 and 12 is significantly bigger than between 12 and 16 ?

...post what happened to your system!

All of you linux users who have upgraded your ram, you _can_ answer
these questions, please do !

Any reports are velcome, please post it either here or by email to me,
although I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in this...
Please specify your system in any post...

If there is any documents or faq's on this question, please forgive me
..and then maybe someone could give me hint were to find them ?

 /Fredrik

2. Reiserfs: how to mount without journal replay?

3. X graphics performance vs. Windows performance

4. Partition problem in RedHat Linux 6.2

5. Vax 11/780 performance vs Sun 4/280 performance

6. 16bbp on ATI Graphics Ultra+ with Mach32 server

7. performance tools for analyzing java performance

8. pump & dhcp client identifier

9. Xfree Performance vs. Accelerated-X Performance

10. Ide performance (was RAID0 Performance problems)

11. X graphics performance vs. Windows performance

12. Fwd: [Lse-tech] Block IO write performance (ext2 data) WAS : Ext3 performance bottleneck as the number of spindles gets large

13. Samba vs NT, which gives best PCs / Server Performance?