Migrating USers from 4.0d to 5.1

Post by David Olivi » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:27:33

We are currently in the process of doing a sever rebuild.  I was
wondering what the best way for me to migrate users and other data
from our 4.0d box over to the new server tru64 5.1a and how would I go
about doing that?

Post by Adam Pric » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 03:56:44

> We are currently in the process of doing a sever rebuild.  I was
> wondering what the best way for me to migrate users and other data
> from our 4.0d box over to the new server tru64 5.1a and how would I go
> about doing that?

For a jump that big consider it a re-implementation, hire some test kit,
do the whole thing properly, lots of planning and plenty of backups.
Do it once on the test kit, document the process then do a DR of the
live kit to the test kit, and do the upgrade on the live kit.
If all goes well, wipe the test kit and send it back to the rental company.
HTH
Adam

Post by David Olivi » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:36:17

> > We are currently in the process of doing a sever rebuild.  I was
> > wondering what the best way for me to migrate users and other data
> > from our 4.0d box over to the new server tru64 5.1a and how would I go
> > about doing that?
> For a jump that big consider it a re-implementation, hire some test kit,
> do the whole thing properly, lots of planning and plenty of backups.
> Do it once on the test kit, document the process then do a DR of the
> live kit to the test kit, and do the upgrade on the live kit.
> If all goes well, wipe the test kit and send it back to the rental company.
> HTH
> Adam

The server is rebuilt.  The one server is a alpha 1000a which has
Digital Unix 4.0d on it.  The new server is also an alpha 1000a and
has Tru64 Unix 5.1 installed.  The 4.0d server has no enhanced
security setup and the 5.1 has enhanced security setup.  How do I move
the users from the 4.0d server to the 5.1.

Post by Adam Pric » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:45:46

> > > We are currently in the process of doing a sever rebuild.  I was
> > > wondering what the best way for me to migrate users and other data
> > > from our 4.0d box over to the new server tru64 5.1a and how would I go
> > > about doing that?
> > For a jump that big consider it a re-implementation, hire some test kit,
> > do the whole thing properly, lots of planning and plenty of backups.
> > Do it once on the test kit, document the process then do a DR of the
> > live kit to the test kit, and do the upgrade on the live kit.
> > If all goes well, wipe the test kit and send it back to the rental company.
> > HTH
> > Adam

> The server is rebuilt.  The one server is a alpha 1000a which has
> Digital Unix 4.0d on it.  The new server is also an alpha 1000a and
> has Tru64 Unix 5.1 installed.  The 4.0d server has no enhanced
> security setup and the 5.1 has enhanced security setup.  How do I move
> the users from the 4.0d server to the 5.1.

If there are no users on the new box then drop it back to base security, move
the password and group files over.
Restore the home directories from tape and all set.
Then use secsetup to convert to enhanced
security.
Again, test it before you go live.
HTH
Adam

1. Upgrading 4.0D to 5.1 on a 4100

Has anyone had any trouble with this?  Our current config is a single 4100
with dual StorageWorks 200's and a DEGPA Gigabit Ethernet card.  The
system is dedicated to Oracle which will be re-installed after the
upgrades are done.  Has anyone had problems with this hardware going
through the migration process?  It looks pretty straight forward, but the
lack of a test system is not a good thing.

Les Weinmunson

"The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a
dialog box and lets you press 'OK' first."

2. Cable Modem Woes

3. Upgrade of DU4.0D(patch6) -> Tru64 5.1

4. FS: Kimtron KT-70PC terminals

5. 4.0d to 5.1 + RAID

6. su -c vs. ksh

7. Migration Tru64 4.0D to Tru64 5.1

8. OFF TOPIC: Questions about Open Source Development.

9. Upgrading from Digital Unix 4.0d to 5.1 and Sybase ASE 11.9.2

10. Problem migrating to AIX 5.1

11. Migrate from 5.1 to 4.3.3 with MKSYSB

12. Duplicate ODM entries after 5.1 migrate

13. AIX 5.1.B and 5.1.C and AIX 5.1.D