This is disconcerting: System panic: panic (cpu 0): Processor Machine Check

This is disconcerting: System panic: panic (cpu 0): Processor Machine Check

Post by Steve Youn » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 04:14:57

Every once in a while I will get the above message and the machine will
halt.

My system:

Ethernet and a 20GB IDE hard disk and IDE Sony CD-ROM.

Looking for more information on this, I have just been finding the extremely
helpful, "contact your service provider."
Taking a guess, this seems reminiscent of the old parity-error messages I
would get on my 386 with less-than-perfect memory.

I am just hoping that there could be a non-hardware related problem causing
this.
Or is my being terminally poor still manifesting itself by the creative
failure of the hardware I can afford?

- Steve Young

This is disconcerting: System panic: panic (cpu 0): Processor Machine Check

Post by Dennis Vanambur » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:30:06

Steve,

If your system supports it, halt the system and at the SRM (>>>) prompt type

Quote:>>> show power

look for any messages having to do with CPU0, the memory or any fans on CPU0.

good luck!!

fredonia | Dennis Vanamburgh
fredonia | State University of New York

fredonia | http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~vana2801

Post by Stev » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:17:15

> Every once in a while I will get the above message and the machine will
> halt.

> My system:

> Ethernet and a 20GB IDE hard disk and IDE Sony CD-ROM.

> Looking for more information on this, I have just been finding the extremely
> helpful, "contact your service provider."
> Taking a guess, this seems reminiscent of the old parity-error messages I
> would get on my 386 with less-than-perfect memory.

> I am just hoping that there could be a non-hardware related problem causing
> this.
> Or is my being terminally poor still manifesting itself by the creative
> failure of the hardware I can afford?

> - Steve Young

Helps to have the machine check number. Even better is to look in
/var/adm/crash for the crash-data.x file and that gives you a
traceback of the panic. That may give you a better idea as to hardware
or software. (Software is really quite likely)

1. Kernel panic with Cyrix Cx486 S25 CPU (similar to U5 CPU panic)

He resolved his problem by installing an Intel CPU.

I have a Cyrix Cx486 S25 FasCache (Cx486S-25GP) processor that fails in
the same way.  The messages are:
   math_emulate: 0010:0010ebb4
   Kernel panic: Math emulation required in kernel
   In swapper task - not syncing

The kernel should have math emulation support.  It's the same kernel that
I use on a AMD 386SX/25.  I've also tried the boot/root image diskettes--
similar results.  I'm running Linux 1.0.8.

Any ideas?  TIA.
Paul.

2. Does GNU GCC work on AIX 4.3

3. panic: System Uncorrectable Machine Check

4. finding spesific port and irq

5. Kernel Panic, Please Help...I am Panicking Too

6. tc filter fw and 2.6.26.7 problem

7. kernel panic and I am panic

8. Problem with lowercase names in local mailer

9. PANIC PANIC PANIC

10. help Kernel Panic: machine Check in swaper task-not syncing

11. "Kernel Panic: Machine Check" when installing

12. SYSTEM CRASH : CPU PANIC !!!!!!!

13. SYSTEM CRASH: CPU PANIC : BAD TRAP !!!!!