Help with 'setld' subset control programs?

Help with 'setld' subset control programs?

Post by Keith Benoi » Tue, 09 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello, all...

I'm trying to develop and debug a subset control program for use with
the Tru64 'setld' installation utility.  The problem is, the large
"case" statement within the SCP doesn't get handled correctly.  The
actual text of the error when installing the subset is:

"/var/tmp/stltmp23623/STMAPI620.scp: syntax error at line 393: `end of
file' unexpected"

By using "set -x" and "set -v" commands within the SCP, I can see that
setld is actually reading until the very end of the SCP file, even past
the ";;" and "esac" lines.  I suppose there is a syntax error or script
formatting error somewhere, but the shell isn't too forgiving or
helpful.

Are there any special handling or formatting considerations of which I
should be aware? I've reviewed several of the Tru64 system SCP scripts,
but haven't spotted any glaring errors, by comparison.  OTOH, I've seen
extra blank lines and ";;" lines at the bottom of some system scripts.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Keith Benoit
C*te, NC

Help with 'setld' subset control programs?

Post by Steven Winiko » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>"/var/tmp/stltmp23623/STMAPI620.scp: syntax error at line 393: `end of
>file' unexpected"

This is typically what happens when a shell script contains a construct
that is opened but not closed (eg, a missing quotation mark, an if
statement without a matching "fi", a for loop or while loop without a
matching "done", etc.).

That doesn't mean it will be easy to find, but that's what I'd suggest
looking for.

     - Steven
Steven Winikoff                |
Concordia University           |
Montreal, QC, Canada           |   There's an exception to every rule,

http://alcor.concordia.ca/~smw |

Help with 'setld' subset control programs?

Post by Keith Benoi » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Steven,

Thanks for your suggestion. I had already carefully (no, really! :-)
inspected my script for mismatched quotes, if/fi do/done case/esac
pairs, missing syntax, etc.  My request for help was to see if anyone
knew of problems peculiar (and most likely undocumented) to the 'setld'
installation utility.

As it turns out, the problem was solved when I cut out each section of
the case statement to a separate file, and then copied/pasted the parts
back into the main script.  Apparently, there was an escape sequence or
control character embedded in the body of the script, somewhere.  It's
running fine, now.

Thanks again,

Keith

> >"/var/tmp/stltmp23623/STMAPI620.scp: syntax error at line 393:
> >'end of file' unexpected"

> This is typically what happens when a shell script contains a construct
> that is opened but not closed (eg, a missing quotation mark, an if
> statement without a matching "fi", a for loop or while loop without a
> matching "done", etc.).

> That doesn't mean it will be easy to find, but that's what I'd suggest
> looking for.

>      - Steven
> Steven Winikoff                |
> Concordia University           |
> Montreal, QC, Canada           |   There's an exception to every rule,

> http://alcor.concordia.ca/~smw |

1. setld -d doesn't delete directories created when installing product with setld -l

I have created a product kit with 1 subset and installed it on a test
system. This product creates several directories and files. However,
when I try to remove the product, all the files are removed, but the
(now empty) directories remain.

I have tried the following:

- Setting the subset flag to 0 or 2 in the key file

- Setting the volatility flag in the master inventory file to 0 or 2

- Installing on 4.0D and 5.1A

- Changing permissions of the directories to be installed and their
parent directories

These directories do not exist on the servers prior to product
installation.

I could create a subset control program to do the deletion, but it
would become messy as it would have to be updated every time I added a
directory to the product.

Is there an easier way?

2. Modem line ttydef for ESIX SVR4

3. network programing : How to program in 'logical link control (LLC)' level?

4. default sendmail setup

5. Using setld to resinstall subsets with patches

6. Problem to start X on an AlphaStation 255

7. Looking up setld subsets

8. Linux DVD drivers & MPEG?

9. ANNOUNCE: Free TTY monitoring and control program 'ttywatcher'

10. Can't delete corrupt subset - PLEASE HELP

11. PLEASE HELP - Can't delete corrupt subset

12. Can 'sudo' control 'Directory'???

13. Controlling 'From' in mail headers? Help!