Change System Name - Is this procedure still valid?

Change System Name - Is this procedure still valid?

Post by Jasper » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:02:34

I found the following procedure for changing my Alpha' s system name.
Is it still valid?
Any additional information I need before trying it?
My version is 4.0f
Many Thanks!
======================================
QUESTION: How do you rename an ALPHA Digital UNIX system hostname?

ANSWER:

To rename a Digital UNIX system hostname, follow the steps below.

Assume that the old hostname is "oldname" and the new one is "newname."

As root:

        1.  # rcmgr set HOSTNAME newname

        2.  Edit the /etc/hosts file and make the following change

                From:
                #
                127.0.0.1 localhost
                16.72.0.156 oldname

                To:
                #
                127.0.0.1 localhost
                16.72.0.156 newname

        3.  Reboot the system at a convenient time.

                # shutdown -r now

        4.  Edit the system configuration file so you can rebuild
            the kernel the next time it is needed.  The next kernel
            rebuild, you will want to do "doconfig -c NEWNAME," after
            doing the following commands:

                # cd /sys/conf
                # cp OLDNAME NEWNAME
                # vi NEWNAME

            From:
                ident   "OLDNAME"

            To:
                ident   "NEWNAME"

        5.  Move the options' HOSTNAME.list file to NEWNAME.list:

                # cd /sys/conf
                # cp OLDNAME.list  NEWNAME.list

        6.  Move the kernel rebuild subdirectory to the NEWNAME:

                #  cd  /sys
                #  mv  OLDNAME NEWNAME

        7. If the system was part of a network, the appropriate hosts
           files on the other systems will also have to be edited to
           reflect the change.

NOTE****If you are using LSM, please see the man pages for voldctl
        for instructions on changing the hostid

LSM changes -

  /sbin/voldctl hostid
      Change the host ID in the /etc/vol/volboot file and on all disks in
      disk groups currently imported on this machine. It may be desirable to
      change the Logical Storage Manager host ID for your machine if you are
      also changing the network node name of your machine.

      If some disks are inaccessible at the time of a hostid operation, it
      may be necessary to use the voldisk clearimport operation
 to clear out the old host ID on those disks when they become
reaccessible.
 Other-wise, you may not be able to re-add those disks to their disk
groups.

                                       Note

         Take care when using this command. If the system crashes before the
         hostid operation completes, some disk groups may not reimport
         automatically.
=====================================

Post by Peter da Sil » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:41:02

> I found the following procedure for changing my Alpha' s system name.
> Is it still valid?
>         1.  # rcmgr set HOSTNAME newname

Check.

Quote:>         2.  Edit the /etc/hosts file and make the following change

>                 From:
>                 #
>                 127.0.0.1 localhost
>                 16.72.0.156 oldname

>                 To:
>                 #
>                 127.0.0.1 localhost
>                 16.72.0.156 newname

Check.

Also, if you're using DNS, update the matching host/zone/whatever files
you're using to maintain that.

Quote:>         3.  Reboot the system at a convenient time.

>                 # shutdown -r now

You can generally get the same result by running 'hostname newname' and
restarting a few programs, but this is safer.

Don't forget that you may need to rerun mailsetup or otherwise edit your
mail configuration.

Quote:>         4.  Edit the system configuration file so you can rebuild
>             the kernel the next time it is needed.  The next kernel
>             rebuild, you will want to do "doconfig -c NEWNAME," after
>             doing the following commands:

>                 # cd /sys/conf
>                 # cp OLDNAME NEWNAME
>                 # vi NEWNAME

>             From:
>                 ident   "OLDNAME"

>             To:
>                 ident   "NEWNAME"

I don't think this part is actually necessary. You an build a kernel with
any file and ident name you want - it doesn't need to match the system name.

In fact it's not unusual to have more than one kernel config file on a system.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl

Peter da Silva, just another Perl poseur.

Change System Name - Is this procedure still valid?

Post by Brun » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 03:43:07

Yes, I confirm that is still valid with 4.0F.
Bruno

> I found the following procedure for changing my Alpha' s system name.
> Is it still valid?
> Any additional information I need before trying it?
> My version is 4.0f
> Many Thanks!
> ======================================
> QUESTION: How do you rename an ALPHA Digital UNIX system hostname?

> ANSWER:

> To rename a Digital UNIX system hostname, follow the steps below.

> Assume that the old hostname is "oldname" and the new one is "newname."

> As root:

>         1.  # rcmgr set HOSTNAME newname

>         2.  Edit the /etc/hosts file and make the following change

>                 From:
>                 #
>                 127.0.0.1 localhost
>                 16.72.0.156 oldname

>                 To:
>                 #
>                 127.0.0.1 localhost
>                 16.72.0.156 newname

>         3.  Reboot the system at a convenient time.

>                 # shutdown -r now

>         4.  Edit the system configuration file so you can rebuild
>             the kernel the next time it is needed.  The next kernel
>             rebuild, you will want to do "doconfig -c NEWNAME," after
>             doing the following commands:

>                 # cd /sys/conf
>                 # cp OLDNAME NEWNAME
>                 # vi NEWNAME

>             From:
>                 ident   "OLDNAME"

>             To:
>                 ident   "NEWNAME"

>         5.  Move the options' HOSTNAME.list file to NEWNAME.list:

>                 # cd /sys/conf
>                 # cp OLDNAME.list  NEWNAME.list

>         6.  Move the kernel rebuild subdirectory to the NEWNAME:

>                 #  cd  /sys
>                 #  mv  OLDNAME NEWNAME

>         7. If the system was part of a network, the appropriate hosts
>            files on the other systems will also have to be edited to
>            reflect the change.

> NOTE****If you are using LSM, please see the man pages for voldctl
>         for instructions on changing the hostid

> LSM changes -

>   /sbin/voldctl hostid
>       Change the host ID in the /etc/vol/volboot file and on all disks in
>       disk groups currently imported on this machine. It may be desirable to
>       change the Logical Storage Manager host ID for your machine if you are
>       also changing the network node name of your machine.

>       If some disks are inaccessible at the time of a hostid operation, it
>       may be necessary to use the voldisk clearimport operation
>  to clear out the old host ID on those disks when they become
> reaccessible.
>  Other-wise, you may not be able to re-add those disks to their disk
> groups.

>                                        Note

>          Take care when using this command. If the system crashes before the
>          hostid operation completes, some disk groups may not reimport
>          automatically.
> =====================================

1. changing system name (uname -S not valid)

has anybody had to change their system name?  I've installed slackware3.00
and get the response 'Linux'  from a uname.  The problem I've got is I'm
testing a package compatible with Interactive, SCO, and a whole bunch of
other Intel Unix's that uses the system name for security. I'm using ibcs2,
so the parts that aren't 'secure' work just fine. However, the rest won't.

uname won't actually do the change for me. (unlike SCO or Interactive) so
where do I change it?  There is no systemid in /etc (again like SCO) so
what holds the system name?  (I tried adding one just for SCO compatability,
but that didn't work)

sorry for all the references to the s-word, but that's what I use at work.

Any help would be appreciated....

--
When in doubt, lead with trump.

2. hardware

3. Changing host/system name

4. root access

5. How can I change the system name?

6. What are ELF binaries?

7. Changing domain names in all files on the system

8. debugging a multithreaded app

9. Changing the system name.

10. How to change the host name on x86 systems?

11. Changing system name on DU 3.2c

12. How to change system name

13. Changing domain names in all files on the system - correction