Printing to HP Deskjet using TCP/IP printing on Win 2000 ?

Printing to HP Deskjet using TCP/IP printing on Win 2000 ?

Post by Tom Sev » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 05:23:25

I have a Windows 2000 system running TCP/IP print service.  I am trying to
print to it from Tru64 V5.1.  However, it prints the first line only and
stops.

Printcap contains this entry for lp2

--------------------------------

lp2|2|lp|tls:\
        :if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cgeneric_text1.pcf:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lp2err:\

        :mx#0:\
        :of=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cgeneric_text1.pcf:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#80:\
        :rm=nt2118wk:\
        :rp=lp:\
        :rw:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd2:\
        :xf=/usr/lbin/xf:
---------------------------------------

W2K system's event log about invalid format or invalid command.  So I
changed to rm= and rp= and that is what yields the single line and quits.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Printing to HP Deskjet using TCP/IP printing on Win 2000 ?

Post by Matt » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:44:00

Try making the printcap as simple as possible, to start.  I would rem out
the if, of, pl, pw lines.  See if you can get it to print some simple
text.  I have played with getting Tru64 to print to Windows based lpr
(WinNT 4.0) and it did work, although not 100% reliably.  It may also be
an issue with the deskjet, since some don't like to be networked in any
way.
Good luck.

> I have a Windows 2000 system running TCP/IP print service.  I am trying
> to print to it from Tru64 V5.1.  However, it prints the first line only
> and stops.

> Printcap contains this entry for lp2

> --------------------------------

> lp2|2|lp|tls:\
>         :if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cgeneric_text1.pcf:\
>         :lf=/usr/adm/lp2err:\

>         :mx#0:\
>         :of=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cgeneric_text1.pcf:\
>         :pl#66:\
>         :pw#80:\
>         :rm=nt2118wk:\
>         :rp=lp:\
>         :rw:\
>         :sd=/usr/spool/lpd2:\
>         :xf=/usr/lbin/xf:
> ---------------------------------------

> the W2K system's event log about invalid format or invalid command.  So
> I changed to rm= and rp= and that is what yields the single line and
> quits.

> Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Printing to HP Deskjet using TCP/IP printing on Win 2000 ?

Post by Jack Patteeu » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:14:03

RTFM !

http://tru64unix.compaq.com/faqs/publications/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/...

Section 8.4.8 says

"On the remote machine that will use the printer, you must specify the
rm, rp, lp, and sd symbols."

The only other printcap symbol that should be used in a remote printcap
entry is lf.

To review:

lp - the name of the "local" print queue; i.e.   lpr
-P<local_queue_name>
     this is a required printcap symbol and should contain no "special

     it does not have to be the same as the remote print queue name
sd - spool directory; typically /var/spool/<local_queue_name>
lf - log file; typically /var/adm/<local_queue_name>
rm - remote machine; the system you are sending the data to
rp - remote print queue name

All formatting is handled by the remote machine (or some local
application like a2ps)

Check the log file (the lf entry) for errors

Jack

> I have a Windows 2000 system running TCP/IP print service.  I am trying to
> print to it from Tru64 V5.1.  However, it prints the first line only and
> stops.

> Printcap contains this entry for lp2

> --------------------------------

> lp2|2|lp|tls:\
>         :if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cgeneric_text1.pcf:\
>         :lf=/usr/adm/lp2err:\

>         :mx#0:\
>         :of=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cgeneric_text1.pcf:\
>         :pl#66:\
>         :pw#80:\
>         :rm=nt2118wk:\
>         :rp=lp:\
>         :rw:\
>         :sd=/usr/spool/lpd2:\
>         :xf=/usr/lbin/xf:
> ---------------------------------------

> W2K system's event log about invalid format or invalid command.  So I
> changed to rm= and rp= and that is what yields the single line and quits.

> Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Printing to HP Deskjet using TCP/IP printing on Win 2000 ?

Post by Jack Patteeu » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 16:26:19

Think twice, hit return once Jack !!

   <snip>
> To review:

> lp - the name of the "local" print queue; i.e.   lpr
> -P<local_queue_name>
>      this is a required printcap symbol and should contain no "special characters"

<snip>

Actually for remote printing lp should be set to null !!

The following is a working printcap entry for remote printing.  Note the
"local queue name" is the first entry, the only line starting in column
1.  mx#0 is for printing large files.

eee_lps32_1:\
        :rp=eee_lps32_1:\
        :rm=pt9500.pcse.poee.ford.com:\
        :sd=/var/spool/eee_lps32_1:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/eee_lps32_1.log:\
        :lp=:\
        :mx#0:

Printing to HP Deskjet using TCP/IP printing on Win 2000 ?

Post by Tony » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:45:32

try using IP address of printer and bypass DNS. also using HP printers in
Unix
port /printer must have entry in etc/services file. May want to find out
from HP
what is default port number for W2K. In Unix it is 9100/tcp
good luck
Tony

> Try making the printcap as simple as possible, to start.  I would rem out
> the if, of, pl, pw lines.  See if you can get it to print some simple
> text.  I have played with getting Tru64 to print to Windows based lpr
> (WinNT 4.0) and it did work, although not 100% reliably.  It may also be
> an issue with the deskjet, since some don't like to be networked in any
> way.
> Good luck.

> > I have a Windows 2000 system running TCP/IP print service.  I am trying
> > to print to it from Tru64 V5.1.  However, it prints the first line only
> > and stops.

> > Printcap contains this entry for lp2

> > --------------------------------

> > lp2|2|lp|tls:\
> >         :if=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cgeneric_text1.pcf:\
> >         :lf=/usr/adm/lp2err:\

> >         :mx#0:\
> >         :of=/usr/lbin/pcfof +Cgeneric_text1.pcf:\
> >         :pl#66:\
> >         :pw#80:\
> >         :rm=nt2118wk:\
> >         :rp=lp:\
> >         :rw:\
> >         :sd=/usr/spool/lpd2:\
> >         :xf=/usr/lbin/xf:
> > ---------------------------------------

> > the W2K system's event log about invalid format or invalid command.  So
> > I changed to rm= and rp= and that is what yields the single line and
> > quits.

> > Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

1. Printing via Samba to HP Deskjet 882c on Windows 2000 RC2...

I am running Red Hat Linux 6.1 and the printer I am trying to print to
is connected to a Windows 2000 Professional RC2 box.  I was wondering if
anyone has had experience with this sort of setup.  I try printing a
test page and nothing comes out of the HP Deskjet 882c printer...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help... :)

2. 100Hz v 1000Hz with contest

3. HP Deskjet 400 won't print ps - Help?!

4. About Web Defacement

5. HP Deskjet won't print ASCII

6. How 2 create directory tree?

7. hp-ux print to deskjet 895 or 890 using JetDirect

8. /etc/shutdown by non-root

9. What TCP port is used for AIX printing to print server via spooler?

10. Direct print to a tcp/ip print server

11. HP DeskJet/HP JetDirect/SuSE53 printing question...

12. Porting HP TCP/IP print software to RS/6000

13. TCP/IP Printing Problem w/HP JetDirect Across Frame Relay WAN