Firmware Upgrade

Post by Kees-Jan den Ad » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:02:42

Hi,

I have an Digital AlphaStation 255/233 with Tru64 V5.0A (rev 1094) running.
Console firmware as seen with consvar -g version, is V7.0-9
I want to upgrade to tru64 V5.1A

I have a firmware update CD V6.2
At this CD there are no files for the Alphastation 255/233
In the release notes of this CD I read that minimum firmware level for V5.0A is V5.6

My question is, is it necessary to upgrade the firmware in order to run V5.1A

If yes, where can I get the firmwareupdates for the 255 system.

Regards,

Kees-Jan.

Firmware Upgrade

Post by Wolfgang Rup » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:42:17

Quote:> I have an Digital AlphaStation 255/233 with Tru64 V5.0A (rev 1094) running.
> I want to upgrade to tru64 V5.1A
> I have a firmware update CD V6.2
> At this CD there are no files for the Alphastation 255/233

Try the ftp servers to check for the most recent firmware. Probably there
has not been an updated firmware for your machine for quite some time.
IIRC, I have seen a list somewhere which machine's firmware last shipped
on which CD. Don't ask me where...

If you are on the latest released firmware for your box, just install
Unix. From my experience, the chance that you run into trouble is small.

Wolfgang Rupp

Firmware Upgrade

Post by Kjell Andrese » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:54:22

> > I have an Digital AlphaStation 255/233 with Tru64 V5.0A (rev 1094) running.
> > I want to upgrade to tru64 V5.1A

> > I have a firmware update CD V6.2
> > At this CD there are no files for the Alphastation 255/233

> Try the ftp servers to check for the most recent firmware. Probably
> there has not been an updated firmware for your machine for quite
> some time.  IIRC, I have seen a list somewhere which machine's
> firmware last shipped on which CD. Don't ask me where...

Maybe ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware

Quote:> If you are on the latest released firmware for your box, just
> install Unix. From my experience, the chance that you run into
> trouble is small.

There is some information at
ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readmes/astn400.html that
may be of help

Regards,
Kjell Andresen  Systems administrator, University of Oslo, Norway
                Center for Information Technology Services and
                Department of Geophysics

1. Alphabios-SRM firmware upgrade - no display PC164LX

Hi,
I have a Digital (OEM) PC164LX board, which had Alpha Bios 5.7 installed on
it (NT running), I needed to install Linux on this so download the SRM
firmware from DEC/Compaq/HP
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/Alpha/firmware/archive/alphapc164l...
srm.rom and using the Upgrade firmware option flashed it, it ran
successfully (and verified) and asked me to reboot.

After power cycling I get no display (Accelgraphics VGA card).

I saw some info in the groups/google which points to the following
1. Display card might have not been detected due to difference in bios
emulation and (maybe?) console is activated on the serial line?
2. Perhaps another display card like a Voodoo3 3000 or a matrox millenium
(have both in different machines can try swapping) might be detected and I
might not have to go through a serial line (which is another thing that I
have not done before, but don't know where to begin)
3. I may have the wrong version of the update :(

Advice / pointers / and corrections!! very much appreciated.
I can give more info if needed ofcourse there is no display right now so it
might be limited :)
Thanks
Cyrus

Remove WITHSPAM from address to email.

I turned to open source after I saw Star Wars
the Jedi Knight said "May the source be with you"

2. Linux Sound - Keep hearing a "POP"

3. Firmware upgrade technique

4. can i do like this????

5. firmware upgrade problem on Dec AlphaStation 200

6. Needed PPP w/ dynamic IP assignment for Solaris 2.4

7. RAID A1000 Firmware upgrade failure

8. Red Hat 6.0 oddity

9. A1000 Firmware Upgrade

10. determine RS6000 model for firmware upgrade

11. Westell DSL firmware upgrade available ?

12. Firmware upgrade on 43Ps anywhere?

13. PCI firmware upgrade on AlphaStation 400