questions

Post by Jac » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:21:35

Dear Sir/Madam

            I am new to the Compaq tru 64 world and had a couple of
question in regards with the new version of Tru64 Version 5.1

What is the latest version of Sendmail that comes with this product?

Can python and perl languages be installed on this new version?

Is it possible to use mysql3.23.40 on this platform?

thanks
jack

questions

Post by Joerg-Uwe Tessme » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 21:04:33

Hallo,

> Dear Sir/Madam

>             I am new to the Compaq tru 64 world and had a couple of
> question in regards with the new version of Tru64 Version 5.1

The latest Version of HP TRU64 is 5.1B.

Quote:> What is the latest version of Sendmail that comes with this product?

Sendmail 8.12.3 from the "internet express for hp TRU64 UNIX" CD.

Quote:> Can python and perl languages be installed on this new version?

Python - yes, from the "Open Source Software Collection" CD.
Perl   - yes, version 5.6.0 in the operating system or
              version 5.6.1 on the internet express CD
Quote:> Is it possible to use mysql3.23.40 on this platform?

No.
PostgreSQL V 7.2.1. is on the internet express CD.

Quote:

> thanks
> jack

        Joerg-Uwe

--
Joerg-Uwe Tessmer              Universitaet Potsdam
Tel.: +49+331-9771613          Institut fuer Physik

questions

Post by Chris Ada » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 11:22:00

Quote:>> Can python and perl languages be installed on this new version?
>Perl   - yes, version 5.6.0 in the operating system or
>              version 5.6.1 on the internet express CD

perl 5.8.0 is included with the OS with Tru64 5.1B.

Quote:>> Is it possible to use mysql3.23.40 on this platform?
>No.

Yes it is, although you really want to run at least 3.23.54 for security
reasons.  It doesn't come included with the OS AFAIK, so you'll either
have to get a binary distribution from www.mysql.org or build it
yourself.

1. Mini-Linux Distribution Questions + General Questions + UMSDOS Questions

Basically I have recently installed the Mini-Linux distribution (from
sunsite.unc.edu) on my box  (486 66, 12Mb, Limited HDD space), and it
works and installs fine, runs fine.... Great I thought, lets install
on several other PC's - Install on another 486d266 - won't even start
- LOADLIN doesn't even begin decompressing the kernal......
Then try a 486dx4100, this time it decompresses kernal and starts
linux startup, and comes up with a HDD sector size too big (its a
544Mb drive) and says "Giving up"..... Linux doesn't start at all.
Anyone else got an experience with this (the mini-linux distribution
is 1.0.9 kernal I think)

Next On the PC that mini-linux runs on, X won't start - cannot start
my graphics card (its an Advance Logic card, Vesa compatible).  Anyone
know how to fix this?

I run mini-linux for several reasons, the main one being the lack of
HDD space (I have 20Mb free without mini-linux, 0.5Mb with), howver I
have heard that the latest distributions include UMSDOS, so now onto
the UMSDOS questions:

Which kernal works best with UMSDOS, and will fit in 20Mb, with the
majority of data residing on CD?

Do the latest linux kernals support a SB16 and panasonic double speed
CD?  Also are NEC drives supported (a mate has one of these)

Basically I cannot delete my  DOS partition, as my family cannot use
linux to save their lives, and love MS word, so I need UMSDOS, so both
can happily reside on one partition (I don't want to partition)

Also does UMSDOS have any problem booting off a d: drive (I am
installing another 100Mb drive to try to alleviate the space problem)

Right thats it......
Thanks for your help and I apologize for the bad spelling in some
places (my software don't spell check).

IMPORTANT:  My news feed is knackered, so can replyies be by mail as
well as news please?

Dan (Linux newbie)

2. Rexporting Netware partition using Samba?

3. Questions, questions questions

4. Visual Pascal

5. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

6. Problems installing SCO OpenServer 5

7. Questions Questions Questions ???

8. How to open/read a file during a function call in the networking kernel codes

9. Questions, Questions, and more Questions..

10. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

11. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

12. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

13. A followup question to "A C question (about strlen)"