Help with benchmarking

Post by Jacques Garnie » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:13:12

I have to know about a standard benchmarking for an AlphaServer 4000.
The one I want to check is a 2 Gb / 2 * EV56 533 MHz CPU running Tru64 4.0D
but I could work with results from slithly different system. The purpose is
to test cpu & memory to know what is a standard performance for such a
system.
I need a standard performance number for a 'normal' system; not a spec
result on a very customised system.
If someone has such a system and some numbers with a benchmark or can
benchmark such a system with a tool like ubench (
http://www.phystech.com/download/ ), his help would be greatly appreciated.

Help with benchmarking

Post by Jacques Garnie » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:01:12

Come on !
Anybody has a 4000 system out there ???
It takes about 10 min to compile and run the benchmark and it would help me
greatly.

Quote:> I have to know about a standard benchmarking for an AlphaServer 4000.
> The one I want to check is a 2 Gb / 2 * EV56 533 MHz CPU running Tru64
4.0D
> but I could work with results from slithly different system. The purpose
is
> to test cpu & memory to know what is a standard performance for such a
> system.
> I need a standard performance number for a 'normal' system; not a spec
> result on a very customised system.
> If someone has such a system and some numbers with a benchmark or can
> benchmark such a system with a tool like ubench (
> http://www.phystech.com/download/ ), his help would be greatly
appreciated.

1. Help needed "benchmarking" solaris 2.6 free memory

Dear All

I am a Solaris ludite - I am a Perl web programmer / Linux person at
heart.

I have been asked to find out "Why are website is slow?"

As such I am running a few scripts to dump bits of data into files to
profile number of process / load / users / and vmstat.

My question is thus - I want to know how much memory is "free", how much
is used as cache and how much is used as buffers etc - Does Solaris have
the free commmand ala Linux style command ?

The reason being is that I want to see how much "disk cache" the machine
is using (being a web server I would want this to be high).

My gut feeling is that the machine is lightly swapping and not building
a large disk cache, and hence the site is not optimised from this view.
It must be possible to adjust these levels - to manually increase the
buffer / cache.

Before I recomend a new machine or another gig of RAM I want to have
data to backup my arguments.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Greg Cope

2. IBM DFRSS2F: Can't get disk geometry for SCSI-HD

3. We need help benchmarking and debugging reiser4

4. CPU overheating w/Mandrake 9.1 on Toshiba P4 Laptop

5. OS-Filesystem-Cache Invalidation for Benchmarks - help wanted

6. "No space left on device"

7. need help with SPEC 008.espresso benchmark on IBMR2-560F

8. Dummynet question

9. Help benchmarking Linux/gcc vs. Win95/IRC ??

10. Need lan card benchmarking help etc...

11. kqueue benchmark help

12. HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

13. help help help help help help