disassembler for a PowerPC

Post by tangNOS.. » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 04:51:55

I am doing some development on an RPX Classic system with a PowerPC
860.  What are some recommended tools for debugging and disassembling
PPC binaries?  I won't have much memory to work with -- about 12 megs.
Disk space, though, is not a problem as that I will be NFS mounting this
hypothetical tool.  Thanks.

--
Jason Tang /  tang <at> jtang <dot> org

disassembler for a PowerPC

Post by Lewin A.R.W. Edwar » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:44:49

Quote:> I am doing some development on an RPX Classic system with a PowerPC
> 860.  What are some recommended tools for debugging and disassembling
> PPC binaries?  I won't have much memory to work with -- about 12 megs.

Are you doing this directly on the target? If so, gdb.

If you can extract the binaries and take them elsewhere, Ida Pro is a
more powerful tool for some tasks.

disassembler for a PowerPC

Post by Wolfgang Den » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:18:28

>I am doing some development on an RPX Classic system with a PowerPC
>860.  What are some recommended tools for debugging and disassembling
>PPC binaries?  I won't have much memory to work with -- about 12 megs.

GDB, gdbserver, and objdump?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de

disassembler for a PowerPC

Post by tangNOS.. » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:17:41

Quote:> GDB, gdbserver, and objdump?

I was thinking more on the lines of a full fledge
assembler/disassembler, kind of like what Ollydbg does for x86.

A graphical interface ia not necessary -- actually, [n]curses would be
best as that I would be connected to the PowerPC over a telnet session.

--
Jason Tang /  tang <at> jtang <dot> org

disassembler for a PowerPC

Post by tangNOS.. » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 22:28:01

Quote:> If you can extract the binaries and take them elsewhere, Ida Pro is a
> more powerful tool for some tasks.

Ida Pro looks pretty close to what I need, except for the bit about it
being a commercial product.  Are there any free or open source programs
like it?

--

Post by Lewin A.R.W. Edwar » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 05:12:56

Quote:> > If you can extract the binaries and take them elsewhere, Ida Pro is a
> > more powerful tool for some tasks.

> Ida Pro looks pretty close to what I need, except for the bit about it
> being a commercial product.  Are there any free or open source programs

I wish. If there were I would be using them! :)