need help to find out on a embedded/linux distro to use for my new project

need help to find out on a embedded/linux distro to use for my new project

Post by shin » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 06:58:41

I need some help finding out an open source Linux distro/embedded
Linux distro solution to use for my new project.

The target platform is an PC Athlon-1800 with 128 megs of ram (i386)
and 128 megs of hd space, the host system is preferably Redhat 8.0.

I need to get a lightweight Linux to bootup from a 128 meg usb Lexmar
jumpdrive (the target bios does support booting up from usb hdd, but I
am not sure if it will work eventually, as I didn't get that far yet.
However if it doesn't I will have to get the it to boot from a 128 meg
of compact flash drive.)

by lightweight I really only need the init package, glibc, bash,
whatever the barebone is that needs to get Linux started. Besides
these packages and a bootloader, I will only add a couple modules to
the kernel that will support my wireless lan card, storage device and
graphic card. I will also have to reserve storage space for a
lightweight X-windows system, and the complete java development
environment. Eventually I will have to code a wireless java
application that will run on top of the X.

now does such a distro exist that fulfill the above requirement or is
it easier to do everything from scratch by myself? can you point me to
some resources online that tells me on how to get on about doing this?

thanks in advance

need help to find out on a embedded/linux distro to use for my new project

Post by jean-marie ferdegu » Fri, 20 Dec 2002 04:46:29

You should try busybox. I do not know their website but it is quite easy to
find.
this will allow you to design utilities such as ls, grep, and so on
(everything is explained but I can tel you more if you are interested). You
choose only the ones that your application requires.
then for glibc, uClibc is quite good or dietlibc as you wish
Hope it answers to your question

Quote:> I need some help finding out an open source Linux distro/embedded
> Linux distro solution to use for my new project.

> The target platform is an PC Athlon-1800 with 128 megs of ram (i386)
> and 128 megs of hd space, the host system is preferably Redhat 8.0.

> I need to get a lightweight Linux to bootup from a 128 meg usb Lexmar
> jumpdrive (the target bios does support booting up from usb hdd, but I
> am not sure if it will work eventually, as I didn't get that far yet.
> However if it doesn't I will have to get the it to boot from a 128 meg
> of compact flash drive.)

> by lightweight I really only need the init package, glibc, bash,
> whatever the barebone is that needs to get Linux started. Besides
> these packages and a bootloader, I will only add a couple modules to
> the kernel that will support my wireless lan card, storage device and
> graphic card. I will also have to reserve storage space for a
> lightweight X-windows system, and the complete java development
> environment. Eventually I will have to code a wireless java
> application that will run on top of the X.

> now does such a distro exist that fulfill the above requirement or is
> it easier to do everything from scratch by myself? can you point me to
> some resources online that tells me on how to get on about doing this?

> thanks in advance

1. New Linux distro - WE NEED HELP!

Hello everyone. I'm the project leader of a new Linux distribution, and
we need help getting things rolling. We currently have about 5
developers, all working on different things. We need people that know
C++, can recompile their kernel, and are experienced with Linux. If
you're interested, please check out our web site at
http://www.geeklinux.com/ or feel free to contact me by e-mail. We also
need people to submit their XF86Config files for our database, and
submit packages which you would like to see in our distribution.

We are hoping that this distro becomes secure and robust, and different
from all other Linux distributions out there - we are aiming for a more
open-ended project, that is not commercial (at least not for a while ;),
in which anyone can directly contribute to the project. We would greatly
appreciate any help we could get right now, seeing as we would like an
Alpha release (or at least something to show) to hand out at LinuxWorld
Expo on the 3rd and 4th of February. This may seem a little too hopeful,
but we are halfway done with the installer, and our Alpha will be a
barebones sample of the distro.

Again, if you would like to contribute to this project, check out our
web site (which is still partly under development), or e-mail me. I hope
that we can meet our goals with this OS, forming something for the
knowledgeable Linux hacker as opposed to the newbie (we named it Geek
Linux with that in mind ;).

Thanks for your time!

--
David Booss
geeks404 Webmaster

http://www.geeks404.com/
ICQ: #25832711

Geek Linux - The distro for the people by the people:
http://www.geeklinux.com/

Hacking by its true definition: http://www.orpheous.com/

The difference between a geek and a nerd is a social life ;)

2. How to mount Zip outside of ROOT?

3. New Linux distro - WE NEED HELP!!

4. High memory usage with kernel 2.2.9

5. New Linux distro: WE NEED HELP!

6. How to interface shell script with C program??

7. Need Linux/C/JAVA/PERL programmer for embedded network project

8. Root password lost

9. Linux sysadmin developers needed to help start new project?

10. Softwaredesigner Embedded (DSP/VxWorks but WIN32 too) looking for new Project

11. INFORMATION NEEDED!!! - NEW LINUX DISTRO

12. Need New Linux Distro...Which Ones??

13. Help for new Window Manager project needed