linux/ELKS on hp 200lx

Post by Steve » Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:37:19

I am able to aquire an hp 200lx and would like to run linux on it.  I
have googled the subject and found some mention of MINIX on the 200lx.
Many of the pages desribed indepth hardware hacks that I would rather
stay away from.  I have also perused the ELKS page.  My question is:
Can anyone give me advice on how to run linux on a 200lx. My prefered
method would perhaps use loadlin.exe or simular to start linux from
dos, or if it is at all possible set autoexec.bat and sysconfig.sys
to point to the linux kernel.

Thanks in advance
Steve

linux/ELKS on hp 200lx

Post by Lewin A.R.W. Edwar » Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:59:51

Quote:> I am able to aquire an hp 200lx and would like to run linux on it.  I

Essentially the answer to this is that you can't. The 200LX has an
80186 CPU. Normal Linux requires an MMU, and the lowest x86 CPU that
includes an MMU is the i386.

If you want Linux in your pocket, by far the best route is to get a
Linux PDA, e.g. either a Sharp Zaurus (preloaded with Linux by Sharp)
or reflash a Compaq iPaq with ARM-Linux.

linux/ELKS on hp 200lx

Post by Steve » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 16:45:32

>> I am able to aquire an hp 200lx and would like to run linux on it.  I

> Essentially the answer to this is that you can't. The 200LX has an
> 80186 CPU. Normal Linux requires an MMU, and the lowest x86 CPU that
> includes an MMU is the i386.

ELKS is a special distribution for the 8086/80186.
http://elks.sourceforge.net/

Quote:> If you want Linux in your pocket, by far the best route is to get a
> Linux PDA, e.g. either a Sharp Zaurus (preloaded with Linux by Sharp)
> or reflash a Compaq iPaq with ARM-Linux.

Thanks for these other options.  I am still inclined towards the 200lx
because it is a palmtop computer rather than a PDA.

Steve

linux/ELKS on hp 200lx

Post by Werner Heuse » Tue, 02 Nov 2004 06:26:53

> I am able to aquire an hp 200lx and would like to run linux on it.  I
> have googled the subject and found some mention of MINIX on the 200lx.
> Many of the pages desribed indepth hardware hacks that I would rather
> stay away from.  I have also perused the ELKS page.  My question is:
> Can anyone give me advice on how to run linux on a 200lx. My prefered
> method would perhaps use loadlin.exe or simular to start linux from
> dos, or if it is at all possible set autoexec.bat and sysconfig.sys
> to point to the linux kernel.

You may check the links to some installation reports for Linux on PDAs
here: http://tuxmobil.org/pda_linux.html

    Werner

--
|=| Werner Heuser = Berliner Str. 122 = D-13187 Berlin = Germany
|=| <wehe at tuxmobil.org>     T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86
|*| This is no time for phony rhetoric -- Lou Reed

1. HP 200LX as a serial line terminal to Linux Box

Has anyone done this?

I have the general interest of being able to share files between my Linux
Box and my 200LX over a serial line.  I have an extra serial port, I've
verified that the Linux Box is talking to the 200lx and vice versa by
doing things like:

date > /dev/cua4

cat < /dev/ttyS4

and although it is miserably slow, I am seeing the interaction.  So, I
figured I'd try to set up the 200lx as a serial terminal that I could log
into the Linux Box from... Just to see how it works.

Well, I tried:

/sbin/agetty -Lh 38400 ttyS4

and I get the login message on the palmtop, but it happens ridiculously
slowly.  Certainly not at 38400 baud, as best I can judge.  Also, after I
get the login message and I try to login, I type my login name to the
palmtop, touch the enter key on the palmtop, and the password prompt never
comes up.  I'm not using the timeout feature, but it goes away anyway.
I'd like to crank up the speed, but I'm just feeling around in the dark
here.  I've not seen much in the way of documentation for doing what I'm
trying to do.  Can anyone offer any pointers?

Might there be a problem with the fact that the serial device in the 200lx
is an old one?  (what, 8250 or something?).

In case this is important, here's the relevant portion of my rc.serial
file:

# This section for setting up ports on the STB 4-COM multi-port
# serial card (ksf) (7/13/96)  As of now, only one serial device
# will be used in this card, that is the HP 200LX Palmtop PC for
# short file transfers.
#
# The `^fourport' option tells Linux that the STB card is NOT an AST
# fourport card, so it will handle it correctly.
#
# Here, the following assignments apply (BTW, COM5,6,7,8... my words
only).
# COM5, port1 on the STB 4-COM
# COM6, port2 on the STB 4-COM
# COM7, port3 on the STB 4-COM
# COM8, port4 on the STB 4-COM

${SETSERIAL} /dev/cua4 irq 11 uart 16550a port 0x1F8  ^fourport
${SETSERIAL} /dev/cua5 irq 11 uart 16550a port 0x2A8  ^fourport
${SETSERIAL} /dev/cua6 irq 11 uart 16550a port 0x1E8  ^fourport
${SETSERIAL} /dev/cua7 irq 11 uart 16550a port 0x1A8  ^fourport

do I need to do anything with the /dev/ttyS[1-4] devices?  I'm not sure
what to do with the uart type option on these.  The serial card does use
the 16550, but I think the 200lx uses the 8250 uart.

I'd really appreciate any help.

 Plan ahead.  Promote swift colonization of the solar system...  *First*
__________________

"Plaese porrf raed."
                -- Prof. Michael O'Longhlin, S.U.N.Y. Purchase

_______________________
____________Kevin S Ford__________

2. Benchmark questions

3. HP 200LX Linux interface

4. f2c random()

5. Linux <=> HP 200LX link?

6. How to disable jfslog for a particular file system?(5L)

7. 200LX,NEWTON,PDA's with Linux...

8. Connecting a WYSE terminal

9. Linux-8086 (ELKS) Project Still Active

10. Regarding the Embedded Linux Kernal Subset (ELKS)

11. ? Elk Scheme, Linux sigaction, SA_SIGINFO, siginfo_t ?

12. Can anyone help me with Linux ELKS?

13. ELKS Linux (80286) Questions