Beginner questions: Linux for Embedded Planet RPX Lite boards

Beginner questions: Linux for Embedded Planet RPX Lite boards

Post by Tony Jon » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 07:28:30

I'm thinking of buying a **cheap** Embedded Planet board to learn
about embedded Linux development.  I'm not actually going to embed the
board in anything, just play around with setting it up and developing
code for it.  Secondary goal is to play with a non x86 architecture.

I narrowed my choices to:
  RPX Classic CC (CLCP 860)
  RPX Lite CC (LICE 850)

I'm leaning towards the LICE850 as it comes with built in Ethernet.
[Assume I could plug in a PCMCIA Ethernet card into the CLCP860?]

Base kernel support for these boards????
Looking at the Kconfig for kernel.org 2.6:

- RPXLITE supports the Embedded Planet RPX Lite MPC823 boards.
  Does it also support their MPC850SR boardsets such as the LICE850?

- RPXLITE supports RPX-Classic (MPC860) which I assume includes the
  CLCP860?
  I also noticed there is another config choice of RPXCLASSIC which
  supports the MPC860.

Is there a particular *free* ppc distribution that is recommended for
targetting these boards?  I'm assuming I will seperately need to get
the DenX ELDK toolchain?

If anyone has any other tips/suggestions for a total beginner, I'm all
ears. If there are better/cheaper hardware platforms or you know of a
used board I'd be very interested to hear from you.

thanks in advance

Beginner questions: Linux for Embedded Planet RPX Lite boards

Post by Blin » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:13:40

which type are architecture is demanding in the market

x86 or other why?
which type is easy to learn and play around with linux.

regards
     chandra

> I'm thinking of buying a **cheap** Embedded Planet board to learn
> about embedded Linux development.  I'm not actually going to embed the
> board in anything, just play around with setting it up and developing
> code for it.  Secondary goal is to play with a non x86 architecture.

> I narrowed my choices to:
>   RPX Classic CC (CLCP 860)
>   RPX Lite CC (LICE 850)

> I'm leaning towards the LICE850 as it comes with built in Ethernet.
> [Assume I could plug in a PCMCIA Ethernet card into the CLCP860?]

> Base kernel support for these boards????
> Looking at the Kconfig for kernel.org 2.6:

> - RPXLITE supports the Embedded Planet RPX Lite MPC823 boards.
>   Does it also support their MPC850SR boardsets such as the LICE850?

> - RPXLITE supports RPX-Classic (MPC860) which I assume includes the
>   CLCP860?
>   I also noticed there is another config choice of RPXCLASSIC which
>   supports the MPC860.

> Is there a particular *free* ppc distribution that is recommended for
> targetting these boards?  I'm assuming I will seperately need to get
> the DenX ELDK toolchain?

> If anyone has any other tips/suggestions for a total beginner, I'm all
> ears. If there are better/cheaper hardware platforms or you know of a
> used board I'd be very interested to hear from you.

> thanks in advance

1. Problem booting RPX-Lite board from flash w/initrd

Hi,

        I am using a SBC from EmebeddedPlanet, the RPX-Lite, MPC823, 16MB
RAM, 16MB flash, etc..

        I am using HardHat Linux and am able to boot over nfs. I am having
trouble getting it to boot using a ramdisk, though. I compiled a minimal
kernel (PCMCIA, wireless ethernet, the basics) with ramdisk support and
loaded it into flash. The bootloader prompt comes up saying root=/dev/ram,
I press enter, and it loads great until it sarts the ramdisk stuff. It
then dums a backtrace, complaining about weird bits in the msr. If need be
I can post the full error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

        -Aravind Mikkilineni

2. Openview 5.01 support???

3. RPX Lite , network problem

4. unable to login into a newly installed linux system...

5. Linux on Embedded Planet or Motorola MGT5100 ??

6. McMillan RedHat 5.2

7. Beginner Question: What do you think of this development board ?

8. Printer Driver Question

9. Inexpensive embedded board for Linux

10. linux or ecos embedded boards

11. Looking for good Embedded Linux board

12. How to embed linux into a board based on QED rm5230 mips cpu?

13. SMALL, embedded board capable of running Linux and/or QNX