Beginner Question: What do you think of this development board ?

Beginner Question: What do you think of this development board ?

Post by V » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 08:55:34



Hi,

I am a beginner to be embedded world, and I have been looking around
to purchase a simple development board to experiment on. Since I am
doing this as a hobby, I am restricted to low-cost options. I came
across the following board while I was doing a google search.

http://www.insight.na.memec.com/Memec/iplanet/link1/VirtexIIProLC_1.pdf

It is based on the Virtex II Pro FPGA that contains a PowerPC
processer and a bunch of reconfigurable logic cells. It costs about
$195 for the board alone (I had a limit of $200). I have access to any
necessary test equipment in the lab in which I am working. I am
planning to use this board to learn things like cross-compiling the
Linux kernel, installing the kernel and device drivers (if they are
available), developing simple programs, etc., It looks like a good
option because I can also experiment with Verilog/VHDL programming.

Has anyone already worked with this board before ? Is it a good
investment for a beginner hobbyist ? Are there better/cheaper
(beginner) alternatives out there ?

I am familiar with the Linux OS and I have been developing
applications in C/C++ for a while. I have just started reading about
Kernel internal, device drivers, etc., and I looking forward to
beginning my journey into Embedded Linux.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Vijay.

 
 
 

Beginner Question: What do you think of this development board ?

Post by Blin » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:56:06


Hi

I am totally newbee to the embedded world.
long back i use to work on C. developed a project purely on C (user
interface,Database, logic) every thing on c.

but now i purely work on Database and Unix techonologies.
I am intrested and curious how things work in embedded systems.
i really dont know what stuff to read and what to start with.
any one had any comments for me and suggestions for me.

My first goal is to understand linux kernel.
i work with linux,sun solaris,IBM AIX, digital and oracle database
techonologies.

i play with linux a lot.

but dont know indepth about kernel.

please throw some light on my enthusiasm.

Regards
    chandra


> Hi,

> I am a beginner to be embedded world, and I have been looking around
> to purchase a simple development board to experiment on. Since I am
> doing this as a hobby, I am restricted to low-cost options. I came
> across the following board while I was doing a google search.

> http://www.insight.na.memec.com/Memec/iplanet/link1/VirtexIIProLC_1.pdf

> It is based on the Virtex II Pro FPGA that contains a PowerPC
> processer and a bunch of reconfigurable logic cells. It costs about
> $195 for the board alone (I had a limit of $200). I have access to any
> necessary test equipment in the lab in which I am working. I am
> planning to use this board to learn things like cross-compiling the
> Linux kernel, installing the kernel and device drivers (if they are
> available), developing simple programs, etc., It looks like a good
> option because I can also experiment with Verilog/VHDL programming.

> Has anyone already worked with this board before ? Is it a good
> investment for a beginner hobbyist ? Are there better/cheaper
> (beginner) alternatives out there ?

> I am familiar with the Linux OS and I have been developing
> applications in C/C++ for a while. I have just started reading about
> Kernel internal, device drivers, etc., and I looking forward to
> beginning my journey into Embedded Linux.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in Advance,
> Vijay.


 
 
 

Beginner Question: What do you think of this development board ?

Post by RusH » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 12:46:20



Quote:> I am planning to use this board to learn things like
> cross-compiling the Linux kernel, installing the kernel and device
> drivers (if they are available), developing simple programs, etc.,

all that can be done with ~50$ Linksys WRT54G Acces Point. Linux
allready ported in. 16-32MB ram, 2-4MB Flash, 125-200Hz MIPS.

Quote:> It looks like a good option because I can also experiment with
> Verilog/VHDL programming.

If that is important then go for it.

Quote:> Has anyone already worked with this board before ? Is it a good
> investment for a beginner hobbyist ? Are there better/cheaper
> (beginner) alternatives out there ?

Linksys for Linux all the way - you CANT beat commodity hardware
prices.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019
Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery.
You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.

 
 
 

Beginner Question: What do you think of this development board ?

Post by Tony Jon » Tue, 02 Nov 2004 03:25:22



> all that can be done with ~50$ Linksys WRT54G Acces Point. Linux
> allready ported in. 16-32MB ram, 2-4MB Flash, 125-200Hz MIPS.

Is the source that Linksys released sufficient to build a modified
kernel and boot it?

From this posting it seems it is:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106579161603430&w=4

But Googling I havn't found many pages discussing using the released
code.

Tony

 
 
 

Beginner Question: What do you think of this development board ?

Post by RusH » Tue, 02 Nov 2004 04:03:12




>> all that can be done with ~50$ Linksys WRT54G Acces Point. Linux
>> allready ported in. 16-32MB ram, 2-4MB Flash, 125-200Hz MIPS.

> Is the source that Linksys released sufficient to build a modified
> kernel and boot it?

You dont need Linksys code. There are at least three independent
projects with patched kernels. OpenWRT, Sveasoft and the third one I
forgot :).

Quote:> But Googling I havn't found many pages discussing using the
> released code.

google for openwrt, google for asus WL500 B/G (same hardware + USB +
LPT ports).

Taiwan is beating the living *out of western embedded board
makers. Thers no point in designing your own board if you dont
innovate. Commodity functions are implemented, debugged to death and
simply working in ~50$ soap box available in every suppermarket.

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://www.veryComputer.com/
Like ninjas, true hackers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery.
You may never know -- UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE.

 
 
 

Beginner Question: What do you think of this development board ?

Post by Damion de Sot » Tue, 02 Nov 2004 09:07:18



> Hi

> I am totally newbee to the embedded world.
> long back i use to work on C. developed a project purely on C (user
> interface,Database, logic) every thing on c.

> but now i purely work on Database and Unix techonologies.
> I am intrested and curious how things work in embedded systems.
> i really dont know what stuff to read and what to start with.
> any one had any comments for me and suggestions for me.

Step 1.
don't steal other people's message threads.
If you're starting a new subject/topic, create a new message, don't reply
to someone else's and change it.

Step 2.
take a read around:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> My first goal is to understand linux kernel.
> i work with linux,sun solaris,IBM AIX, digital and oracle database
> techonologies.

> i play with linux a lot.

> but dont know indepth about kernel.

Have you built your own linux kernel on a desktop machine ?
You should know how this works before trying to build embedded kernels.

Quote:> please throw some light on my enthusiasm.

My advice would be just to remember that generally, an embedded linux device
is just like a stripped down linux PC.
take out everything you don't need in the kernel
take out all the applications and libraries you don't need
and shuffle things around a bit :)

good luck.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SnapGear - A *Guard Company ---    ph:         +61 7 3435 2809
  | Custom Embedded Solutions          fax:         +61 7 3891 3630
  | and Security Appliances            web: http://www.veryComputer.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  ---  Free Embedded Linux Distro at   http://www.veryComputer.com/  ---

 
 
 

1. ISO UNIX Bulletin Board Application Does anyone know of any UNIX bulletin board(group thinking)

type software?  My group would like to be able to use our local network to
brainstorm and discuss various issues, much the way standard news works.  In
addition, we would like to be able to limit access to either the whole system,
or optimally to individual discussions.  It would be nice to be able to choose
from a list of topics, read the existing discussion archives, then post your
own 2 cents.  This functionality is common to PC/MAC bulletin boards, but
I can't remember seeing a UNIX implementation.

        I have been told that I could run a local version of NNTP and have
everyone point their news readers to it.  I am not sure how to limit access
if we do this, and it seems awkward to have to repoint your news reader.  We
may windo up doing this, but there HAS to be a better way.

============================================================================
John Tisaranni                          Tel:            (703)883-7418          

Workstation System Engineering Center
7525 Colshire Drive, M.S. Z267, McLean, VA 22102
============================================================================

2. shared memory virtual address space

3. Beginner questions: Linux for Embedded Planet RPX Lite boards

4. mrouted-3.81 problems

5. Beginners Question, Can I ever use my HDD with DOS again?

6. RH7.1 book

7. Beginner question: Access for DOS partition

8. Avance Logic GP-2302 Accel & X?

9. Hi i need some good beginners documentation for kde app development

10. Beginner interested in Unix/X Window development

11. PCI m/boards + PCI scsi : what do you think?

12. Driver Development problem, MultiQ PCI board

13. Driver Development for Linux, PCI MultiQ board problem