learning embedded linux

Post by Rusty Wrigh » Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:48:17

I have many years setting up, configuring, managing, etc. sun solaris
unix systems.  I've started supporting some linux servers, but it's
red hat so it's pretty brainless, just stick in the disc and click,
click, click.

I have an unused pc that I'm playing around with with gentoo linux
since it's oriented to people who prefer to configure everything.  One
of my goals is to be able to make a bootable system on a compact flash
card.

But I can't get to first base; I can make a kernel that boots and
everything runs by using genkernel, but it's doing everything for me
for the kernel configuration.  When I use menuconfig, to manually
configure the system, the resulting kernel doesn't boot; it starts
booting and the kernel boot messages start zipping by but at the same
point during the boot process the screen goes black and it freezes.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to debug this.

learning embedded linux

Post by David Kinsel » Tue, 02 Nov 2004 00:00:44

> I have many years setting up, configuring, managing, etc. sun solaris
> unix systems.  I've started supporting some linux servers, but it's
> red hat so it's pretty brainless, just stick in the disc and click,
> click, click.

> I have an unused pc that I'm playing around with with gentoo linux
> since it's oriented to people who prefer to configure everything.  One
> of my goals is to be able to make a bootable system on a compact flash
> card.

> But I can't get to first base; I can make a kernel that boots and
> everything runs by using genkernel, but it's doing everything for me
> for the kernel configuration.  When I use menuconfig, to manually
> configure the system, the resulting kernel doesn't boot; it starts
> booting and the kernel boot messages start zipping by but at the same
> point during the boot process the screen goes black and it freezes.

> I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to debug this.

Video cards sometimes cause problems like this.  If you've got something
like an Nvidia, you might try swapping in a simple PCI based card.  Other
than that, experimenting with build options is about the only way to get going.

A couple of other good learning tools that might be of interest:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

These show you how to build linux from the bottom up, rather than starting
with a distribution that is prepackaged.  More work, but more instructive
also.

-Dave

1. Need HELP!! I wanted to do learn Embedded Linux programming on either ARM/PowerPc at home, How can I do that?

Guys,

I need help from Embedded Linux Experts. I am sorry to trouble you guys, I
apologize for that. I am UNIX Programmer for last 10 years, working on
UNIX Kernel level and application level. I wanted to switch into
Embedded systems side. So I  wanted to do learn Embedded linux programming on
either ARM/PowerPc at home, How can I do that?. Could some expert
suggest me, Is there any Hardware available and also linux compiler
and PC tools to communicate to hardware. Please suggest me which is
the right way, I appreciate for your help as well as many many thanks in advance.

2. HELP: DNS Updates

3. Help learning embedded systems

4. IDE DAT for Linux???

5. Learn Linux (Open Systems) Online with Next Generation Learning Technology

6. workman for solaris 2.6

7. Learn one shell or learn them all..?

8. Please help with grep question

9. Embedded linux , RT Linux , Linux

10. comparision beween openssl with pc linux and openssl with embedded linux (ex. sh-linux etc)

11. embedded in Italia su Embedded.it

12. RT-Linux and Embedded Linux

13. Does Linux and embedded Linux provides RAW socket?