Does anybody is using Linux on icpacquire WAFER boards?

Does anybody is using Linux on icpacquire WAFER boards?

Post by Alessandro Staltar » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:04:52

I'm experiencing some trouble with the builtin watch dog timer on the
icpacquire boards WAFER-4821 and WAFER-5820.
It seems that running Linux causes the watch dog timer to raise an HW reset
after few minutes (even without compiling the acquire watch dog driver that
come with standard kernel distribution) even if I don't started it. Moreover
my efforts to reset the watchdog countdown fails.
Disabling the built in watch dog timer by jumper setting allow Linux to work
perfectly but I need to have watchdog enabled.

Does anybody uses theese boards successfully?

Thanks

Alessandro Staltari

Post by Sven Geggu » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 08:04:00

> Does anybody uses theese boards successfully?

Hm, wafer4823 works perfectly.

I supose that some build in Driver in the Linux Kernel probes for Hardware
which does some harm to the mentioned watchdog chip. Probably this could be
resolved by giving kernel Parameters for peripheral io-addresses.

Sven

--
/*
 * Wirzenius wrote this portably, Torvalds *ed it up :-)
 */                        (taken from /usr/src/linux/lib/vsprintf.c)

Does anybody is using Linux on icpacquire WAFER boards?

Post by Alessandro Staltar » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 22:22:08

Quote:> Hm, wafer4823 works perfectly.

Thanks for the answer,

I agree, I had a WAFER-4823 in the past and I don't remember watchdog
problems with it (even if I had problems booting without the keyboard due a
BIOS bug). But with WAFER-4821 and WAFER-5820 watchdog interface is slightly
different allowing to set up the timeout period by writing to 443h port (see
online documentation for more details). Teorically nothig else should be
changed but something of different happen.

Yours

Alessandro Staltari