Microblaze uClinux Demo released

Post by John William » Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:49:24

Microblaze uClinux Demo Package Released

We are pleased to announce the first public release of the Microblaze
uClinux demo package, available for download from the project web site:

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux

We have ported the uClinux operating system to the Microblaze soft
processor core, developed by Xilinx for their FPGA family.  The demo
provides an easy-to-use package that demonstrates the progress and
potential of uClinux running on Microblaze.  The uClinux kernel is
released under the GNU GPL.

The package contains an operating system image, FPGA bitstreams and
scripts to get everything working.  Currently, the Insight/Memec
V2MB1000 prototyping boards are supported.  If you have a different
board, contact us and we may be able to help you port the hardware to
your platform.

If you have any problems downloading or using the demo, please send an

Regards,

John Williams
--
Dr John Williams, Research Fellow,
Reconfigurable Computing, School of ITEE

Post by Antti Luka » Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:42:52

> Microblaze uClinux Demo Package Released

> We are pleased to announce the first public release of the Microblaze
> uClinux demo package, available for download from the project web site:

> http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux

question: if I take the mbvanilla EDK project from your website and
recompile it for example for ML300 would it work with the supplied
linux bootimage? I mean if I keep all the peripherals the same
as in the vanilla design, or is the hardware in the supplied .bit
images from some other design?

antti lukats

Microblaze uClinux Demo released

Post by John William » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:54:51

Hi Antti,

>>Microblaze uClinux Demo Package Released
>>----------------------------------------

>>We are pleased to announce the first public release of the Microblaze
>>uClinux demo package, available for download from the project web site:

>>http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux

> question: if I take the mbvanilla EDK project from your website and
> recompile it for example for ML300 would it work with the supplied
> linux bootimage? I mean if I keep all the peripherals the same
> as in the vanilla design, or is the hardware in the supplied .bit
> images from some other design?

It will indeed work - the demo bit file is just mbvanilla targetting the
V2MB1000.  Just make sure you keep the address map the same, eg the
location of your main RAM bank, which the kernel expects to find at
0x80000000, for 16 Mb.  Also the bootloader expects there to be
AMD-style flash at 0xFF000000.  The source of the bootloader comes with
the mbvanilla project so you should have no trouble changing that if
necessary.

I'm going to freeze the mbvanilla design today, time to move on to the
next target, so if you check on the website soon you'll find a "golden"
copy of it that should be very eay to port.  I haven't played with an
ML300 but if it has similar resources to the V2MB1000 then it should
just be a matter of changing the ucf file and resynthesising.

I'd be keen to host the ML300 version of mbvanilla once you're done.

Regards,

John

Microblaze uClinux Demo released

Post by Antti Luka » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:51:54

[mbvanilla on ml300 with linux image.bin?]

Quote:> It will indeed work - the demo bit file is just mbvanilla targetting the
> V2MB1000.  Just make sure you keep the address map the same, eg the
> location of your main RAM bank, which the kernel expects to find at
> 0x80000000, for 16 Mb.  Also the bootloader expects there to be
> AMD-style flash at 0xFF000000.  The source of the bootloader comes with
> the mbvanilla project so you should have no trouble changing that if
> necessary.

ml300 has (lots of things) +
DDR RAM (no FLASH)
it is possible to preload the RAM from compact flash, so there is no
need for flash, and if the linux image expects to see the flash its
a problem :( I really would not like to write a ip core that 'emulates'
the non existing flash

I have looked at mb ulinux several times, but while working on w2k
workstation it looks very complicated to get all the things to compile.

antti
PS I also have memec board with S2 600E and comm160 module there it
would possible be easier to get the mbvanilla and image.bin to work.

but,,, the flash on p160comm is not AMD?

Post by John William » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:27:11

> [mbvanilla on ml300 with linux image.bin?]

>>It will indeed work - the demo bit file is just mbvanilla targetting the
>>V2MB1000.  Just make sure you keep the address map the same, eg the
>>location of your main RAM bank, which the kernel expects to find at
>>0x80000000, for 16 Mb.  Also the bootloader expects there to be
>>AMD-style flash at 0xFF000000.  The source of the bootloader comes with
>>the mbvanilla project so you should have no trouble changing that if
>>necessary.

> ml300 has (lots of things) +
> DDR RAM (no FLASH)
> it is possible to preload the RAM from compact flash, so there is no
> need for flash, and if the linux image expects to see the flash its
> a problem :(

Yes that should be fine.  You should could pre-load the ram from CF,
then jump immediately to 0x80000000, skipping the bootloader entirely.

Quote:> I really would not like to write a ip core that 'emulates'
> the non existing flash

Well it's just a Xilinx ext . mem controller core, nothing fancy there,
but I get your point :)

Quote:> I have looked at mb ulinux several times, but while working on w2k
> workstation it looks very complicated to get all the things to compile.

yeah.. building linux kernels under cygwin is not for the faint hearted!

Quote:

> antti
> PS I also have memec board with S2 600E and comm160 module there it
> would possible be easier to get the mbvanilla and image.bin to work.

That would be cool, haven't heard of anyone running uclinux on a spartan
yet.

Quote:> but,,, the flash on p160comm is not AMD?

Correct, I think it's from Toshiba, but it implements the AMD command set.

In recent progress (ie 20 minutes ago!), I just succesfully mounted a
JFFS2 file system on the flash, so now microblaze uclinux supports
wear-levelling flash-based persistent storage...

next step is getting the xilinx ethernet mac working and integrated into
mbvanilla, then see what sort of a job montavista did on the linux
driver for it...

Regards,

John

Post by John William » Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:40:22

>> [mbvanilla on ml300 with linux image.bin?]

>>> It will indeed work - the demo bit file is just mbvanilla targetting
>>> the V2MB1000.  Just make sure you keep the address map the same, eg
>>> the location of your main RAM bank, which the kernel expects to find
>>> at 0x80000000, for 16 Mb.  Also the bootloader expects there to be
>>> AMD-style flash at 0xFF000000.  The source of the bootloader comes
>>> with the mbvanilla project so you should have no trouble changing
>>> that if necessary.

>> ml300 has (lots of things) +
>> DDR RAM (no FLASH)
>> it is possible to preload the RAM from compact flash, so there is no
>> need for flash, and if the linux image expects to see the flash its
>> a problem :(

> Yes that should be fine.  You should could pre-load the ram from CF,
> then jump immediately to 0x80000000, skipping the bootloader entirely.

Oh one problem with this approach, the demo kernel image includes the
MTD flash drivers, and they will be expecting to see some flash at
0xff000000.  Shouldn't be fatal, you might just get some complaints when
it  boots up.

I'm happy to make a custom image for you to play with, just tell me how
you want it configured.  It only takes a few minutes.

Regards,

John

Post by Dan Kege » Thu, 04 Sep 2003 15:14:18

> We have ported the uClinux operating system to the Microblaze soft
> processor core, developed by Xilinx for their FPGA family.  The demo
> provides an easy-to-use package that demonstrates the progress and
> potential of uClinux running on Microblaze.  The uClinux kernel is
> released under the GNU GPL.

That's pretty cool.  I see on your page
http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux/
a link to gcc/newlib build instructions, and I gather
the source for your modified gcc is at http://www.xilinx.com/guest_resources/gnu/
However, I see no mention of Microblaze
anywhere in the gcc mailing list archives.
Is Xilinx planning on contributing their Microblaze port
back to the GCC project, i.e. have they executed a copyright
assignment so upcoming versions of gcc can supprt Microblaze out-of-the-box?

I ask partly because I'm wondering if it's worth folding Microblaze
support into my generic toolchain build script
(http://kegel.com/crosstool) or PTXDist.  This would be somewhat difficult
Microblaze used a special hacked version of gcc...
- Dan

Microblaze uClinux Demo released

Post by John William » Fri, 05 Sep 2003 07:22:58

Hi Dan,

Quote:> Is Xilinx planning on contributing their Microblaze port
> back to the GCC project, i.e. have they executed a copyright
> assignment so upcoming versions of gcc can supprt Microblaze
> out-of-the-box?

I'm not sure.

Quote:> I ask partly because I'm wondering if it's worth folding Microblaze
> support into my generic toolchain build script
> (http://kegel.com/crosstool) or PTXDist.

To do so would be very useful for the microblaze / uClinux community,
since currently we are unable to build our own toolchains, and are
somewhat reliant on Xilinx for that.  We have the source, but aren't
really able to build it yet.

Quote:> This would be somewhat difficult
> Microblaze used a special hacked version of gcc...

I don't think there's anything too radical in there, but I'm not a gcc
expert by any means.

Regards,

John

1. uClinux Microblaze Update

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I posted announcing the existence of the porting effort
to get uClinux on the Microblaze soft-core processor.  Things have come
a long way since then, so here's an update on the project status.  More
information can be found on the project web site:

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~jwilliams/mblaze-uclinux

News:

- Core kernel port is complete.

- A TTY/console driver for the UARTLite is done and mostly functional.

- The kernel boots to an interactive shell.

- The /proc filesys can be mounted and queried.

- Busybox utils build but are not tested yet.

- Xilinx has mentioned the uClinux port in an official publication
(http://www.xilinx.com/xapp/xapp477.pdf).

- The project website has been revised.

Up-to-date sources are hosted on the uClinux anonymous CVS - cvs.uclinux.org

Regards,

John
--
Dr John Williams, Research Fellow,
Reconfigurable Computing, School of ITEE
University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Ph : (07) 3365 8305

2. serial shcmerial / modem shmodem

3. Release of JXTA Platform, Shell, and myJXTA demo

4. would you be my friend?

5. Help: ./demo/demo: error in loading shared libraries: liballeg-3.9.36.so

6. POP3 CLIENT for SCO ODT

7. Linux for Xilinx MicroBlaze

8. ktrace dhcpc

9. Press Release: IP2Location Released Free Geolocation Solution to Pinpoint Internet Visitors by IPv6 Address

10. Download release of AIX like release of Oracle is possible ?

11. Fdutils-5.1 released (floppy utilities) - bug fix release

12. upgrading 3.5 Release to 4.0 Release error

13. will 2.1.5-RELEASE be released on C